Is Reflections of Earth the longest running Fireworks show out of all Disney parks?

danyoung56

I loved that each country got its own moment and the lights and projections made each pavilion look like something else (for example, the American pavilion became the Capitol Building.)

I think your memory is playing tricks on you. Yes, there were huge spotlights that highlighted each pavilion. But there were no projections at all in this show, outside of the ones on the water fountains made by the lasers coming out of the central float.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think your memory is playing tricks on you. Yes, there were huge spotlights that highlighted each pavilion. But there were no projections at all in this show, outside of the ones on the water fountains made by the lasers coming out of the central float.
Actually, IllumiNations did have projections.

PICO projectors were a crude image mapping projection system that projected building images onto Germany, America and France. Germany became a gingerbread house, America the Capitol Building.

Sage of Time

PICO projectors were a crude image mapping projection system that projected building images onto Germany, America and France. Germany became a gingerbread house, America the Capitol Building.
I really don't know why they don't bring stuff like this back for ROE. This AND the lasers could really add a ton of the show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
1988:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

danyoung56

I guess I have to stand corrected, although I never saw any projections used in this or any other version of the show. Perhaps they had been discontinued by the time I started visiting in the mid-90's.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Why? Specifically which part of Order? Space was the most lacklustre section but that changed last December.
In my opinion that song runs a little to long where there was a song change every few seconds. It's a great piece but I feel like it shouldn't be just about the globe, there should parts where water images take the show leaving the earth as a backdrop. But I'm going to admit it's much better with the lasers and sure beats the world showcase scene in Illuminations 25 where it was just laser images that looked like a 90s screen saver and the building would blink on and off. In my opinion I think the discovery part should be a little more upbeat with some faster music like in he 1988-1997 show.

SherlockWayne

IllumiNations is a bit of a granddaddy as nighttime spectaculars go, but I truly believe it's better than any other fireworks show in the American Disney parks. I love the soundtrack, I love the optimism of the story, and most of all, I love the lack of characters. So many of Disney's fireworks shows are just what I refer to as "Generic Disney Fireworks Shows". It's just a bunch of booms with the odd Disney soundtrack thrown in. As far as I'm concerned, that's truly boring. "Remember" at Disneyland came close to dethroning RoE for me, since it focused on a part of Disney History precious to me, and did so in a unique way, but RoE held on.

I'd like enhancements, since I feel no show is ever perfect, but as shows go, this one is closest to perfection. Folks who find it too boring or "lame" make me truly sad.

Last edited:

matt9112

It's starting to age. But it's much, much better than anything I would trust Disney to come up with for Epcot these days. I really don't think Disney understands Epcot at a thematic level anymore.

On top of that, Illuminations' score may never be matched. I think Disney's best bet would be to keep the same soundtrack, try out a new concept besides the sphere (or in addition to it), and upgrade some of the fountain and shell effects to modern standards.

my only gripe withy the show is that the globe clearly shows it age due to technology. if that was rebuilt or something i think rest of show is great.

Worldlover71

I believe France became the Moulin Rouge

Attachments

• MR.jpg
    MR.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 27

Disney Analyst

While I truly believe ROE is a beautiful show, with an incredible score... I never find it something I must watch every time.

However, for me the top is still Disneyland's Fantasmic. It was created in 1992 and changed what we know of nighttime spectaculars. A perfect blend of incredible music, live actors and Disney characters, special effects, pyrotechnics, and stage craft. Nothing tops that for me to this day, and no other version of Fantasmic lives up to it for me either. It's a show I dare not miss.

UpAllNight

Whilst we are on the subject of projections, is there a particular reason/problem why the projection effects on the castle for Celebrate the Magic seem a little weak compared to what is possible, as evidence during Disney Dreams at Paris, and Disneyland Forever?

Edit: re watched it n youtube I think it might be more a problem with content rather than the projection effects themselves. There's actually some impressive effects in there it's just the show itself is a bit all over the place. I somehow don't think it works quite as well on this castle though, but can't think of an explanation as to why.

Last edited:

Otamin

It'll be a sad day when RoE inevitably gets replaced someday in the future (hopefully not with Disney IP...)

Whilst new additions are always welcome of course, it has stood the test of time. It's fantastic.

Jahona

It'll be a sad day when RoE inevitably gets replaced someday in the future (hopefully not with Disney IP...)

Whilst new additions are always welcome of course, it has stood the test of time. It's fantastic.

Technically RoE is a Disney IP.... But I get what your saying. Keep it in the spirit of EPCOT and don't use characters. With the improvements to the show that's been going on I feel a replacement will be in the distant future.

hpyhnt 1000

Technically RoE is a Disney IP.... But I get what your saying. Keep it in the spirit of EPCOT and don't use characters. With the improvements to the show that's been going on I feel a replacement will be in the distant future.

I said this some time ago on another thread but thought it relevant to this discussion: Rivers of Light over at Animal Kingdom will be a good bellwether for a modern Disney nighttime show that (hopefully) doesn't feature characters or animated IP. If they can pull off a successful show over there, then I would feel a lot better about a replacement for RoE.

Any replacement show for Epcot that features existing Disney IP/characters is a non-starter. To lose RoE for a show that includes Frozen or Aladdin or any other animated nonsense would be a real punch to the gut.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom