Is Primeval Whirl on the way out?

Moka

Flight of Passage is excellent, but I'm happy to spend a day at Animal Kingdom without riding it.
Yeah, I almost never ride it when I go and I still have a great day doing other things.

Also, people mention that the ride just doesn’t meet Disney standards. Yeah, it’s a generic ride, but so are rides like Dumbo & Aladdin’s carpets at MK, or the teacups. Maybe it’s different because MK can stand on its own without those rides since it does have a lot more attractions, but I still don’t see it as an argument. With or without Primeval Whirl, Dinoland kind of stands on its feet in some way.

I personally don’t have a problem with the ride, I always have a blast on it.

wdwfan4ver

I am under the impression it is. The Question is what Disney wants to do with the Chester and Hester area and if there is a budget for it in Disney's eyes. The only reason it still is seasonally is AK just does not have the amount of ride

The problem right now is how much Disney wants to spend on construction. Once the BBQ place is done, DHS is completed in terms of everything that has been announced. I don't know much budget is being taken up with Epcot right now with the changes. Disney also has the Star Wars: Galactic Star Cruiser hotel they are building besides the Tron Coaster.

I would not be surprised if something gets announced at 2021 D23 where that attraction is located or having all of Chester and Hester gone.

Trackmaster

I don't agree with that -- doing the Kiliminjaro Safari and the animal trails are enough of a reason to go to Animal Kingdom on their own (and Expedition Everest too). Flight of Passage is excellent, but I'm happy to spend a day at Animal Kingdom without riding it. I think it's the best overall Disney park right now despite the lack of attraction capacity.

I mean, it is my favorite of the four too. I agree that what it has is awesome, and pretty much the best of its kind on resort. The park seems to be more authentic of thrilling than the others. The point is just that the overcrowding of the rides is just caused by the lack of rides. If there were more FP+ options, people would feel more satisfied with their line-ups, and possibly everybody wouldn't do whatever they had to do to get FP+'s for FoP. TBH, its a park that could probably benefit with a stand-by only system without FP+. FoP just wouldn't get those 3-4 hour lines at all if it didn't have 90% of its available capacity going to FP+ reservations.

JustAFan

Yes, it is more of a carnival/fair ride than the better Disney rides. I think part of the problem is the theme of Dinoland fell flat. It feels like more of an afterthought squeezed into a space that needed something but they weren't sure what and had enough pocket change to throw something cheap and quick together. That said, my kids and I enjoy Primeval Whirl and make a point to ride it every time we're there. One of my favorite Disney pics is of them laughing on this ride. I understand it won't last forever, but the thought of "I don't like it so they should take it out" is shortsighted. I don't care for Living With The Land or that silly Nemo ride, but others like them and I recognize that.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I still like my idea of converting Dinoland to an abandoned town, built around the world renowned museum that mysteriously went abandoned (due to a multiverse portal resulting from a failed experiment, that allowed Dinosaurs to come here, which would be the new story for "Dinosaur!").

FettFan

Original Poster
I still like my idea of converting Dinoland to an abandoned town, built around the world renowned museum that mysteriously went abandoned (due to a multiverse portal resulting from a failed experiment, that allowed Dinosaurs to come here, which would be the new story for "Dinosaur!").

Not to sound too nitpicky....but you just crossed Terra Nova, Jurassic World, and Silent Hill.

- Town that mysteriously was abandoned.
silent_hill_2_-_walking_through_town.jpg

- Including an abandoned Museum
20799627343_aa7f028114_b.jpg

- Science experiment gone wrong.
Mya5FwVDqyKyna2G6QHSa_q7vo_i5b8Jqbb3rO_NVHN0E0Oo4KBU8lzDoVf5UAZJUUeMavSa6FpSY4F-0AOMMit_rddVr3b2CWCDRWlgIqGyl6DxUNEyx_f-vngqLiIkbQm57wg43E6yrR92iJQiaFQFehmFlwNgDVOTe3UV8iA5JPcAMj8pOQRfup5IFeyePkQfC8zgFfbucYscYQ

- Portal across time and space that allows human/dinosaur contact.
MV5BMTY2NzI3Mjc3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcyNjc3Ng@@._V1_CR0,60,640,360_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

disneymom57

I don't get the hate for this ride. If people don't like it, don't ride it. There's plenty of other rides to keep you entertained. Some people do like it.
My husband and I think thus ride is a blast, the past couple of times we've been down, it wasn't open😔
I hope they keep it

danyoung56

I think part of the problem is the theme of Dinoland fell flat. It feels like more of an afterthought squeezed into a space that needed something but they weren't sure what and had enough pocket change to throw something cheap and quick together.

I'm not so sure it was a cheap thing. More like they picked a theme that LOOKED cheap. They spent quite a bit of money theming the place, but to me it definitely looks cheap.

Djsfantasi

Haven’t we been saying this for a while now? But I don’t see this attraction going unless Dinoland as a whole gets taken out or redone. But when it is open, it gets a ton of attraction and the lines can get pretty crazy. For as much as people hate this ride it gets quite the attention.

Also ??? When was this?

Not only is the base ride present in other theme parks, it’s been in existence in one form or another since the 1950s. I rode it in Hull, MA at Nantasket Park as a child.

mark marsh

Id
I'm in the process of making FP+ Reservations....and I'm seeing that PW now has a note that it "Operates Seasonally" and FP+ is not available for it. (Not that I would have wasted a perfectly good fastpass on it in the first place)

Typically "Operates Seasonally" is a death knell for attractions, unless you are... wait for it... the Carousel of Progress.
I would hate to see it go as it is actually a fun ride. The way things seem to be going if it is replaced it will probably be with more Star Wars themed crap.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

When you hear Dinoland and it’s associated with Disney World you think of something extraordinary. Especially back in the 90’s where every Land was done head to toe with elaborate features. Maybe you would imagine slow moving outdoor or dark ride with great scenery and audio animatronics with maybe a boat as the vehicle then Dinosaur for their thrill ride. And on top of that some great exhibits and some interactive attractions. Then you enter to a playground and a street fair, how disappointing for Disney.

Djsfantasi

This is an example of an Imagineer fail. The concept is thought out. But the reality is weak. Dinoland’s backstory was intended to be a roadside attraction based on finding a dinosaur presence and building a carnival attraction with a dinosaur theme. The cheapness and tackiness was part of the backstory.

Unfortunately, the attraction within an attraction doesn’t really work. All other “lands” stand alone. They do not pretend to be a theme park within a theme park. It is this failed duality where Chester and Hester’s does not belong.

Trackmaster

This is an example of an Imagineer fail. The concept is thought out. But the reality is weak. Dinoland’s backstory was intended to be a roadside attraction based on finding a dinosaur presence and building a carnival attraction with a dinosaur theme. The cheapness and tackiness was part of the backstory.

Unfortunately, the attraction within an attraction doesn’t really work. All other “lands” stand alone. They do not pretend to be a theme park within a theme park. It is this failed duality where Chester and Hester’s does not belong.

Yeah, I picked up on the theme. I go to enough major theme parks, carnivals, beachside parks, and arcade parks to pick up on the differences. The idea is pretty ingenious but I doubt that the average guest who would pick up on it. I think after years, the joke wears out and it just becomes a land taking up valuable space and staffing in a park that needs E-Tickets.

NickMaio

I don't get the hate for this ride. If people don't like it, don't ride it. There's plenty of other rides to keep you entertained. Some people do like it.
It is taking up some BIG real estate------
Its a pimple of a ride - - - - - so cheap, uncomfortable, and ugly.
It needs to be torn down for something that IS WDW standard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom