Is Primeval Whirl on the way out?

FettFan

Original Poster
I'm in the process of making FP+ Reservations....and I'm seeing that PW now has a note that it "Operates Seasonally" and FP+ is not available for it. (Not that I would have wasted a perfectly good fastpass on it in the first place)

Typically "Operates Seasonally" is a death knell for attractions, unless you are... wait for it... the Carousel of Progress.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

I'm in the process of making FP+ Reservations....and I'm seeing that PW now has a note that it "Operates Seasonally" and FP+ is not available for it. (Not that I would have wasted a perfectly good fastpass on it in the first place)

Typically "Operates Seasonally" is a death knell for attractions, unless you are... wait for it... the Carousel of Progress.

Yes......

StarWarsGirl

In a word, yes.

The ride was during the late Eisner era, when attractions were being added but without spending a lot of money (see also SGE). The attraction wasn't a Disney-built attraction. It was purchased from another company and then had cheap cardboard cutouts put up. It was never built to the standard of other Disney attractions. Then they started finding issues with it in June of last year. It's only a matter of time.

Oh, and this attraction resulted in the death of two CMs. Thing needs to go.

UNCgolf

This isn’t something unique. Both coaster being built right now we’re purchased from another company. Even Disney designed ride systems are manufactured by others.

Primeval Whirl is an off-the-shelf ride though, correct?

I know Vekoma etc. often build the actual rides for Disney, but Disney usually designs them. Doesn't the exact same track/ride exist in tons of amusement parks just without the specific cheap dino theming Disney uses for this particular incarnation?

Moka

Haven’t we been saying this for a while now? But I don’t see this attraction going unless Dinoland as a whole gets taken out or redone. But when it is open, it gets a ton of attraction and the lines can get pretty crazy. For as much as people hate this ride it gets quite the attention.

Also ??? When was this?
Oh, and this attraction resulted in the death of two CMs. Thing needs to go.

FettFan

Original Poster
I don't get the hate for this ride. If people don't like it, don't ride it. There's plenty of other rides to keep you entertained. Some people do like it.

I hate any ride where I get slammed from side to side and into the safety bar. It’s the same complaint I have for Space Mountain.

If I wanted that kind of abuse, I’d go marry Amber Heard.

Hank Hill

Haven’t we been saying this for a while now? But I don’t see this attraction going unless Dinoland as a whole gets taken out or redone. But when it is open, it gets a ton of attraction and the lines can get pretty crazy. For as much as people hate this ride it gets quite the attention.

IDK the ride capacity, but it is an extremely slow loading ride. Looks to me like they could double the speed of the load area and still not have a problem with people getting in and settled. On busy days, it is going to get some attention. I wouldn't wait more than 20 minutes for it.

While I think it is a fun ride, I wouldn't be mad if it went away as long as something replaces it. Just operating "seasonally" makes it a waste of space IMO.

GeneralZod

I don't get the hate for this ride. If people don't like it, don't ride it. There's plenty of other rides to keep you entertained. Some people do like it.
You're not wrong; however, I imagine most people's complaint is that this ride belongs more in a county fair and is not up to Disney standards. The scale of approval seems to tilt heavily negative and so most would prefer to see it replaced with something more in-line with Disney quality than just not ride it. Of course, this applies to most of Dinoland, but that is a much longer conversation.

JIMINYCR

Yes its nice to have variety, but when we see the area, we expect more out of a Disney park. Disney can and should do better. It builds a line and wait time because AK has few attraction options. Its at least something to do while you wait for EE, FoP, Safari and some others.

Trackmaster

Yes its nice to have variety, but when we see the area, we expect more out of a Disney park. Disney can and should do better. It builds a line and wait time because AK has few attraction options. Its at least something to do while you wait for EE, FoP, Safari and some others.

Yeah, its certainly an issue. Is FoP the greatest ride of all-time to justify how competitive the FP+ is and how long the lines are? Well, its certainly up there, but the reality is that Disney just allocates a ridiculous amount of FP+ for the ride, and uses a crazy high priority for its FP+ line, so despite the ride itself having decent capacity, very few people from the stand-by are actually allowed in. If there were more competitive FP+ options available for the park, Disney wouldn't have to give out so many for FoP, and give it such a high priority ratio for the FoP to keep the FP+ line moving.

If you look at MK, its the the most popular park, but even if you book late, and even if you don't know the tricks to getting better FP+, you can usually walk away from the app happy with some stuff to keep you occupied even when 7DMT is not available. An average unenlightened guest can get three decent FP+, and maybe tough it out in stand-by for a major ride or two.

Since FoP is such a big deal at DAK, its something that everybody has to ride. Otherwise, you kind of wasted your time at DAK. Getting something more imaginative than a carnival style wild mouse I think would help balance out people's experiences at DAK a lot more.

UNCgolf

Since FoP is such a big deal at DAK, its something that everybody has to ride. Otherwise, you kind of wasted your time at DAK. Getting something more imaginative than a carnival style wild mouse I think would help balance out people's experiences at DAK a lot more.

I don't agree with that -- doing the Kiliminjaro Safari and the animal trails are enough of a reason to go to Animal Kingdom on their own (and Expedition Everest too). Flight of Passage is excellent, but I'm happy to spend a day at Animal Kingdom without riding it. I think it's the best overall Disney park right now despite the lack of attraction capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom