Is Paul Pressler Captain of the Submarines Again?

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Monday's Disneyland update on MiceChat had several concerns and pics posted about the current state of the Nemo Submarine ride. Among them:

- Paint and rust damage on the subs' exterior
- "Dirty and worn" interiors
- Sun bleached coral scenery and figures
- Dim projectors (some "you can barely see")
- Peeling paint and algae build up
- Angler Fish still broken

I know many here don't like the Nemo overlay, but the ride should not be in this shape. It's as much a key part of Disneyland as the Matterhorn or Castle IMO.

Wasn't this ride drained for months just to save some money a couple of years ago? I feel like there's always going to be some mid-level or senior TDA executive who wants to get rid of this ride altogether and once Tony Baxter is gone there won't be anyone within Disney to advocate for its continued existence. :(

Phroobar

I thought the coral stuff was painted with a special WDI invented glass paint that was guaranteed to not fade. I wonder how many millions they spent on developing that paint.

TwilightZone

I thought the ride was somewhat recently refurbished? Maybe this is a sign that the ride will be gone soon. Wouldn't be surprised.

Stevek

We were there several months ago...the projections were garbage then. I would not be surprised if they don't put much money or effort into any refurb soon, which kinda sucks because it is a fun experience for the youngsters.

Phroobar

Well maybe Disney decided they couldn't compete against Legoland and their new submarine ride with REAL FISH.

sd-fi-legoland-submarine-20170823

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Remember there is a rumor from @TP2000's nice neighbor lady that changes are coming to that area. Now it was specific to Matterhorn and Motor Boat lagoon. But maybe it includes Subs as well.

If you ask TP nicely he might be able to provide the liquid to loosen lips on the future of Subs.....

Phroobar

Remember there is a rumor from @TP2000's nice neighbor lady that changes are coming to that area. Now it was specific to Matterhorn and Motor Boat lagoon. But maybe it includes Subs as well.

If you ask TP nicely he might be able to provide the liquid to loosen lips on the future of Subs.....
They are going to finally build Seabase Delta and the underwater rollercoaster!!

Old Mouseketeer

I said as soon as Finding Dory was announced that I gave the Nemo Subs two years after the sequel came out. It's very low capacity/very high cost. Maintenance is exorbitant. And it covers a huge piece of real estate. It's probably good through the first year of SW:GE, but I wouldn't give it long after. That's a huge chunk of real estate from Innoventions to Small World. Gonna be interesting to see what they come up with for the mid-to-late '20s.

TwilightZone

Well maybe Disney decided they couldn't compete against Legoland and their new submarine ride with REAL FISH.

sd-fi-legoland-submarine-20170823
Just saw footage of this ride on youtube. It was very innovative. A lot of kids seemed engaged with the interactive treasure aspect of it.
I wonder if past imagineers worked on the ride. The treasure aspect did remind me of the cancelled Atlantis the last empire ride that was supposed to replace 2000 leagues.
EDIT: Also remember the "submarine" "ride" at seaworld? It is apparently closed indefinitely. Felt like mentioning that since it is about submarines. Is that ride the new superstar limo?
EDIT 2: Calling submarine quest a "ride" is even a crime. It's so awful.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

I thought the coral stuff was painted with a special WDI invented glass paint that was guaranteed to not fade. I wonder how many millions they spent on developing that paint.
Its actually glass but it does get dingy. Last time they did a refurb they had to drain the lagoon and Spray wash the whole thing. I'm surprise all the chlorine they put in it does help.

Ismael Flores

They should honestly get rid of it, whatever original soul it had died once the Nemo stuff went in and it’s just occupying a ton of space now.

I agree, that whole area from IASW down to Autopia should be gutted and cleared out. Lots of potential in that piece of land and since they already have that huge hole for the submarine building they might as well take advantage of it and make it a two level operation to help with scale. Wouldn't want a huge building make the matterhorn look like an ant hill

Phroobar

I agree, that whole area from IASW down to Autopia should be gutted and cleared out. Lots of potential in that piece of land and since they already have that huge hole for the submarine building they might as well take advantage of it and make it a two level operation to help with scale. Wouldn't want a huge building make the matterhorn look like an ant hill
The first thing they need to do is fix Tomorrowland. If that includes a volcano and Seabase Delta then have at the subs! Until then it's better to have the subs than no subs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom