Is NGFP a costly mistake?

Becky

Original Poster
Will the Next Generation Fast Pass eliminate park hopping for most people? With scheduled dinning and scheduled ride times the urge to go to another park and lose your restaurant ressie or ride ressie will disappear for many. So why buy the park hopper option? Disney stands to lose $55 a trip for a great number of people who would have gotten the park hopper but are "locked in" to one park for each day.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is nothing to suggest that you will only be able to reserve attraction fast passes in just one park per day. For all we know you will be able to set up attractions in the morning at MK, head to Epcot for lunch and then walk over to DHS with a set of fast passes already reserved.

captainkidd

I think it's possible. I hate the idea of having to do so much meticulous advance planning. Don't get me wrong - I plan our days and ADR's months in advance, but planning ride times.....Well, it's been beaten to death.

I think there will be others like me that don't like this idea at all. What effect it will have on our vacations remains to be seen. If it doesn't affect the way we currently use fastpass and standby, then I honestly don't care. If I start seeing that fastpasses are out for the day at my favorite attractions, then we may have to rethink things.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If anything it might increase park hopping. One of the reasons I rarely hop is fast passes for the more popular attractions are gone later in the day. If I can set up fast passes for the E-tickets in the 7:00-9:00 PM range the day before I would be much more inclined to head to another park.

Rowdy

I think it's possible. I hate the idea of having to do so much meticulous advance planning. Don't get me wrong - I plan our days and ADR's months in advance, but planning ride times.....Well, it's been beaten to death.

I think there will be others like me that don't like this idea at all. What effect it will have on our vacations remains to be seen. If it doesn't affect the way we currently use fastpass and standby, then I honestly don't care. If I start seeing that fastpasses are out for the day at my favorite attractions, then we may have to rethink things.

I totally agree. A plus to being a local, is I don't have to plan so much. Although it won't affect me directly, because I hardly use Fastpass anyways, I'd hate for it to ruin other people's vacations and give them a "robotic" feel.

C.FERNIE

I think like anything it will work for some people and not for others, i think this will just be the first part of something bigger but we are only going to see sneak peaks now and then for awhile! Sometimes we plan and sometimes we dont but i was thinking if disney knows where everyone is going and at what time, wouldnt they be able to tell you where to go and where not to go, if you get my drift... and if people manage to get all the rides they want done then all thats left is shopping and eating freeing up other space for non users to use! :wave:

Sans Souci

I am going to wait and see. From what I know about it (which admittedly is very little), it sounds like a bad idea. Who knows? It may improve my vacation.

If I go and I feel micro-mananged or stressed, then that will be the end. I know that participation in Fastpass+ or whatever it's called is optional, but if I feel like I have to plan months ahead for rides or be shut out, that's when it's over. (I know, I know...that's one less family ahead of you in the SM queue! You're welcome! :p) We have always had a laissez-faire approach to our WDW vacations and I would like that to continue.

But I don't know at this point, so I won't worry about it.

DisneyJoe

Until all 4 parks have similar night hours, we will always use the park hopper option.

I couldn't imagine spending the day or 1/2 day at AK and then not being able to visit another park; or spending time in MK or Studios until 7 and then hopping to Epcot until 9pm or later. We usually also take mid day breaks - we spend the morning in one park, and then the afternoon or evening/night in another park.

I_heart_Tigger

I was one of those at the beginning of the DP that thought - oh, great how am I supposed to know which park I want to visit each day. I thought the DP was going to ruin my flexibility in the parks.

I soon realized that I actually don't tour the parks completely spontaniously (examine anything that seems to be random and you will most likely find a pattern) since I like to see the Castle on day 1. I like to do Epcot at least twice so we visit that on day 2, then again after we do HS and AK and I like to have my last evening be at MK so I can say goodbye.

Knowing that my park hopping tends to be late afternoon/evening I do my sit down meals as a late lunch and then can decide to switch to whatever park I want later.

My "spontaneous" vacation is made up of rather planned events, whether I thought so or not. I know I want at least one evening in MK and one evening in Epcot, one boat ride and one monorail ride, at least 2 visits to MK and 2 to Epcot...after that it's not too hard to plan some DP and FP times, in fact they will probably be planned closely together. Noon FP at RnR, 1pm lunch at Sci-Fi, 2pm FP at ToT then park hop to Epcot and do a 6pm FP to Soarin.

I tend to sleep in when I can so I often miss out on FP's that are gone for the day. The NGFP will help with that and still not cut down on my park hopping.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I also think that I have seen where you can book reserved seating for some of the shows. I could see me doing fastpass+ in the morning at MK and than reserve a seat for Fantasmics! that coming evening.

bgraham34

Until all 4 parks have similar night hours, we will always use the park hopper option.

I couldn't imagine spending the day or 1/2 day at AK and then not being able to visit another park; or spending time in MK or Studios until 7 and then hopping to Epcot until 9pm or later. We usually also take mid day breaks - we spend the morning in one park, and then the afternoon or evening/night in another park.

How would them having the same nights hours across the board stop you from park hopping then?

DisneyJoe

How would them having the same nights hours across the board stop you from park hopping then?

If we weren't taking the mid-day break, or just planning on doing 1 park per day, we wouldn't have hours to fill with activity at night - i.e. MK or Studios or AK closing before Epcot.

Disneybear

I think so few people who visit WDW will know or care about this option that it wont be a problem at first.

I fear what Disney's response to this will be having invested so much money in this system.

It will have to be seen to work, so will they remove fastpasses that you can pick up with your entry ticket in the park to force you to use the new system and justify their spending?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think so few people who visit WDW will know or care about this option that it wont be a problem at first.

I fear what Disney's response to this will be having invested so much money in this system.

It will have to be seen to work, so will they remove fastpasses that you can pick up with your entry ticket in the park to force you to use the new system and justify their spending?
I doubt it. Xpass is just one of many things that the nexgen tech will be doing. It just happens to be one of the features that will be the most visible to guests. Disney is not going to need to force it down our throats as it is not a direct money generator. It is designed to increase guest satisfaction.

graphite1326

I'm one of the others. I plan our trip as much as possible, but I don't want to be so meticulous that it takes all the fun out of it. This would mean I would have to plan the whole day right down to when we ride certain rides. I like some spontaneity.

rwdavis2

I am going to wait and see. From what I know about it (which admittedly is very little), it sounds like a bad idea. Who knows? It may improve my vacation.

If I go and I feel micro-mananged or stressed, then that will be the end. I know that participation in Fastpass+ or whatever it's called is optional, but if I feel like I have to plan months ahead for rides or be shut out, that's when it's over. (I know, I know...that's one less family ahead of you in the SM queue! You're welcome! :p) We have always had a laissez-faire approach to our WDW vacations and I would like that to continue.

But I don't know at this point, so I won't worry about it.

That's the feeling I get. If it's participate in it or deal with long lines I'll either go much less frequently or stop altogether. I use FPs now, get there early, and follow a very nominal plan. I'm not going to reserves rides weeks/months in advance.

Polydweller

That's the feeling I get. If it's participate in it or deal with long lines I'll either go much less frequently or stop altogether. I use FPs now, get there early, and follow a very nominal plan. I'm not going to reserves rides weeks/months in advance.

People said they wouldn't reserve restaurants months in advance.

Really, speculation right now is based on nothing firm. People have to wait for the details are announced to see how this will actually work before getting concerned about it.

ParentsOf4

If anything it might increase park hopping. One of the reasons I rarely hop is fast passes for the more popular attractions are gone later in the day. If I can set up fast passes for the E-tickets in the 7:00-9:00 PM range the day before I would be much more inclined to head to another park.
This is an interesting observation. Consider TSMM or Soarin', the 2 attractions which typically run out of FPs first. If I arrive at DHS or Epcot at 10 AM, then (under the old FP system) my FP for one of these attractions might be for late in the evening. Wouldn't this encourage me to stay at that park?

On the other hand, if I already have a FP for the evening at TSMM or Soarin' (under the new FP system) might I visit a different park in the morning, knowing that my place is reserved that evening at another park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom