Is new leadership needed at this point?

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Well, the DCA wait for "ittbab" is now waiting for Spiderman to come fix the issue.

Thank you for bringing this up! I forgot to include this.

I was hesitant to include Marvel Super Hero Land because it doesn't even exist yet. But by all accounts, the Spider-Man ride will be a reworked Toy Story Midway Mania! Many people are again disappointed and baffled by this. Two of the same types of rides in the same park. It's lazy. This is the best they can do with Marvel?

What really disturbs me about this is that it's very similar to recent choices made by Universal Orlando. Several years ago they opened the Transformers ride, which is literally a reworked version of Spider-Man in the other park. I don't think it really caught on but I didn't finally ride it for the first and last time until this past summer. Which brings us to Kong/Fast and the Furious fiasco. Similar thing, but guests really didn't buy into it this time when Supercharged opened.

Disney seems to have taken the next step for Universal and built two of the same types of screen rides in the same park twice.

Rich T

This is more on the ride side of things but I posted this a while ago in another thread. I want them developing rides that are more ingenious and impressive. I came across a youtube video that was exactly what I was talking about when I made that smugglers run post

I know adding simulator stuff to that sky tech makes things way more complicated, but I want them to really invest in cutting edge technology and actually create stuff that's never been seen before. That video is from 4 years ago. Nothing at Disney really impresses me.

The artificial skylight has me way more impressed than smugglers run. Where is that creative innovative excitement in the disney parks? I need it. The guy in the video says 'it's pure magic.' That's what I want

A lot of the glasses-free 3D effects on Nintendo's little 3DS system were more magical than anything I've experienced at Disney lately. The last thing at DLR that truly wowed me was seeing the Sheriff AA on RSR for the first time. I think I actually said "Wow!" out loud. :D
(EDIT)
Come to think of it, the AR in the POKEMON GO phone app wowed me more than anything at DLR post-RSR.

brb1006

You are remembering correctly. In the last decade there have been multiple scenarios that Bob Iger has explored for leaving Disney "on a high note".

He was going to bring the NFL back to LA and build the new stadium, until the NFL owners heard his pitch in a Dallas conference room and didn't like him and refused to support his project. He was going to run for Senator Boxer's seat and be the junior Senator from California, until no one liked him enough to support him. Etc., etc., etc.
Maybe he might consider the launch of Disney+ as a high note.

Last edited:

WDW Pro

A lot of the glasses-free 3D effects on Nintendo's little 3DS system were more magical than anything I've experienced at Disney lately. The last thing at DLR that truly wowed me was seeing the Sheriff AA on RSR for the first time. I think I actually said "Wow!" out loud. :D
(EDIT)
Come to think of it, the AR in the POKEMON GO phone app wowed me more than anything at DLR post-RSR.

The original SW:GE podracer ride concept and PoC used similar glasses-free technology in a 12 foot diameter mini dome (a la Soarin'). It was very cool but could cause some serious nausea if the rider moved their head outside of the sweet spot over and over.

truecoat

A wdw cm friend told me that the dak parking lot would fill up and fop would balloon to 3+ hour long waits when it opened. It was still three hours when I visited in October 2018, nearly a year and a half after opening. Not much different these days. Granted, there aren’t very many other attractions in that park and fop has inflated ride times compared to the falcon since they still aren’t using fp here. I’m sure hourly capacities are different too, I don’t know the fop numbers

Forgot to add that they’re three hours ahead of us. I’m sure crowd flow is at least slightly different at any given time between the two resorts. None of this negates the fact that a new millennium falcon ride has a 45 minute wait
View attachment 388990

It was 4 hours one day this week.

Suspirian

Can someone explain the point of the price increases? I always thought they were to reduce capacity. If so didn't they get what they wanted now that the parks are emptier? what are they complaining about?

Nirya

Can someone explain the point of the price increases? I always thought they were to reduce capacity. If so didn't they get what they wanted now that the parks are emptier? what are they complaining about?

The idea behind the price increases is they could increase profit. It’s a basic supply and demand curve - Disney has a limited supply (the parks) and demand is high. This, if you can increase the price, you can make more profit while keeping demand high. The difference is it appears Disney has reached the point on the curve where raising prices actually causes demand to decrease to the point where they don’t gain profit from it.

That was some very basic economics and I probably explained it poorly because I tend to do that (and yet I work as a social studies teacher, go figure) but that’s the basic idea.

hawkfam

I feel like another issue Disney has is that they only seem to build new D & E ticket attractions anymore. I get it, E tickets draw the oohs and aahs, and I know we'd all shame Disney if they aired commercials showing a dinky A or B ticket attraction to try and entice people to visit, but their mentality that customers only want big, loud, over-the-top attractions is another thing they seem to be doing wrong. We get fewer new additions because D/Es cost much more and we always find out later how big and grand they were planned to be and how much they were cut down after the accountants saw the bloated budget numbers. Whereas good planning and budgeting could get 2-4 smaller, A/B/C attractions to act as people eaters or nice little offerings to just bring more newness to the parks.

What was the last non D/E attraction they built other than Alien Saucers that wasn't an overlay like Emotional Whirlwind? Navi'i River? Unless that's considered a C by some (although I think most assume the animatronic pushes it do a D). There are 4 new D/E attractions being built at WDW (GotG, Tron, Rat and assuming MMRR is at least a D) so nothing is changing in the near term. Guess I'm not sure what the Spiderman ride will end up being just yet.

We're also starting to see lands/attractions opening before they are ready with RotR still months away and Rivers of Light being a disaster from the get-go (Uni is learning the hard way with Hagrids too) which is just goes to show how recouping money as quickly as possible is more important than show right now too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom