Is Mr. Gold's Pawnbroker shop on the Streets of America new?

AEfx

Out of curiosity, are there any other store fronts that are taken from IPs in SOA?

I don't believe so - they have always been themed, but more to cutesy retroish things but not specific IP's like this. It fits in so well though I really love the idea and I'd love to see more. There is so little discovery at WDW parks these days, it's such a neat treat IMO.

Suspirian

I don't believe so - they have always been themed, but more to cutesy retroish things but not specific IP's like this. It fits in so well though I really love the idea and I'd love to see more. There is so little discovery at WDW parks these days, it's such a neat treat IMO.

I agree. I love small things like this.

AEfx

One of the reasons I really love this is because the studio's have always been so fake. Yes, LOL, it's supposed to be fake on so many levels - it's a theme park, a studio themed theme park, a fake constructed theme street created inside of a studio theme in a studio themed theme park...

(I think a long time ago we would have called this all very post-post-modern, but I think at this point we have given up on adding more "post-" prefixes and just call it "very meta".)

In any case, while it's a long argument if you really want to get down to semantics, the "Studios" part was never real to begin with. At least anything the guest ever regularly saw. Yes, a few select shows had sound stages on the lots (notably "Mickey Mouse Club" - which is why so much of the late 90's pop generation was HQ from Orlando), a big movie or two used an empty soundstage, etc. - but by and large, it's a short list and it was only for a short time and was more by happenstance than design.

Almost nothing - aside from classic props and such that were moved to the site (but not even all of those) - that the guest ever saw on the "backstage tour" was real. There is a reason they didn't used to let you walk around out there on the city streets - because if you did, you'd realize they weren't really film quality to begin with, but theme park fabrications. They looked more believable because you were riding past them. (Yet notice you could walk around Universal's New York set and spend 1/2 hour just looking at all the details - they knew what they were doing, even if they never really pretended they did it, LOL.)

Obviously Catastrophy Canyon wasn't built for "an exciting new movie"...when you used to drive past a "hit music video filming now" - complete with clapboard, director, camera crew and performers - as soon as you drove past the actors they all took five and then went back to their places for the next tram. "This courtroom set may be coming in a new TV show to you this fall..." That's why they could never quite tell you what productions were going on - because there were no productions in those spaces, LOL.

In any case - that's why I think this is awesome. Let's start using spaces like this like that - give some great treats to fans of various productions like OUaT, which may not really be of "let's build an E-ticket" but "let's do something", and adds an element of exploration that sadly was lost when they just opened up the park like they did and you could get close enough to see what was really there.

Aside from the fact I want to see more of this stuff in that area, and more of the general concept - I also would love if this was also a test to see how people respond to seeing OUaT in the parks - I agree with some of the other posts, Granny's Diner would be a wonderful addition and gosh knows aside from Sci Fi and Brown Derby, they really are missing some themed dining opportunities. If they had that, a new Star Wars dinner show, maybe a few others - they could actually make DHS a nighttime dinner destination much like WS is.

AEfx

I agree with some of the other posts, Granny's Diner would be a wonderful addition and gosh knows aside from Sci Fi and Brown Derby, they really are missing some themed dining opportunities. If they had that, a new Star Wars dinner show, maybe a few others - they could actually make DHS a nighttime dinner destination much like WS is.

(Ugh, I know, so gauche quoting myself - at least I am quoting myself, not having a conversation with some dual login like happens to other folks, LOL...)

I think I missed a big idea for a dinner show/theater there, @Matt_Black - care to help me out? :)

AEfx

The only other thing I can think of that would be awesome would be the automat restaurant from Agent Carter on Hollywood or Sunset Blvd, but that might be blocked by the Uni contract.

You know, I was thinking more of...oh, I dunno...

images

YodaMan

Probably not worth the bump, but there's now a stack of fake newspapers from Storybrooke sitting on the stoop in front of the door that showed up a day ago. I don't think anything else has changed, but it will be interesting to see if the store front gets updated at all when Season 5 starts.

YodaMan

Small detail, but thought some of y'all might care. As was discussed, Mr Gold's effectively replaced Isherwood Jewelers when it showed up on the Streets of America. Over the past few day, however, the Isherwood Jewelers sign has now showed up across the street (in front of the former pawn shop that had no relation to Mr. Gold's).

MagicHappens1971

The only other thing I can think of that would be awesome would be the automat restaurant from Agent Carter on Hollywood or Sunset Blvd, but that might be blocked by the Uni contract.
I think it would have to be strict to Agent Carter and be based exclusively on the TV Show. Since Uni doesn't own the TV show. It's technically Disney's IP, right?

French Quarter

I don't watch OUAT but I still think this is pretty cool. I love the small Disney details best of all. (Every time Disney does something like this, people say, "See, these little touches like what Disney used to do." Disney is still doing it, people!)

Isn't there a good chance though that the Streets of America will be demolished? (Isn't that why the Osborne Lights are leaving? And with them changing their name from Studios to Adventure, these streets make little sense.) I mean, it's good that they are still updating things in the meantime. But I am surprised that they are putting effort into this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom