Is Mission Space too much?

YoungNY

Original Poster
I'm the type of person who doesn't do roller coasters. My motto when it comes to rides usually is nothing that goes upside down and nothing with steep drops. I won't do everest, the aerosmith ride or splash mountain however, I have done similar rides in the past, for some reason splash mountain just looks stepper to me. I like big thunder mountain, I'm willing to try space mountain again after a horrible childhood experiance and I've never been on test track but I'll try it and I've been on Tower of terror several times, but not without a slight panic attack before and during. I think I secretly like it, but it still scares the crap out of me.

I was willing to try mission space for the first time until I read a fourm on here about how intense it is and that people died on it. Now I'm not so sure. Someone told me it's more intense than the aerosmith rollercoaster and that scared me. I can handle virtual reality and some jostling around, but if it's worse than I rollercoaster, I don't know. Exactly, what is this ride?

I need advice, do you think it might be too much for someone like me? Thanks.

BrerMouse

Mission Space actually has two different ride types for the same ride.
1) the intense ride where the capsule actually spins and causes the riders to feel the effects of gravity like an actual astronaut might when they achieve liftoff. This is the version of the ride where some people do tend to feel nausea, light headed-ness, and among other things downright horrible after riding.
2) the non spinning version. This version the capsule does not spin and you do not feel the effects of gravity or weightlessness that is achieved in the spinning version. You still get the same video and functions as the other version without the risk of getting as sick.

Granted some people still do experience some discomfort from this ride because of the small enclosed space. I would recommend riding the less intense non spinning side and see how that goes for you before taking the leap to the spinning side. I love the ride and believe that without the spinning you might as well be watching tv but i have also never gotten sick from any rides and enjoy all types of thrill rides.

Hope this helps you

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The short answer...give the green side a whirl and see how you like it.

The explanation....
M:S has two versions...a green side and an orange side. The green side does not involve any spinning and comes off much like a smother version of the Star Tours simulator. The orange side has spinning and will generate a sustained G-force of around 1.8 G's for around 8-10 seconds. What gets most people on the orange side is either a panic attack from the G-forces (it will make is slightly harder to breath) or they do not keep their head straight. When you move your head out of the rotational arch your inner ear tells your brain that you are tumbling and for most people this will produce the not so pleasant protein spill. The child that died on the attraction was found to have a heart defect. He was just as likely to die walking through the parking lot as he was on the attraction.

RiversideBunny

Mission Space is not a roller coaster.
It's like lying back in lounge chair where you are pressed against the chair by centrifugal force. You could say it's like the Teacups without the spinning, sort of.

Good luck.
:)

captainkidd

Mission Space is not a roller coaster.
It's like lying back in louge chair where you are pressed against the chair by centrifugal force. You could say it's like the Teacups without the spinning, sort of.

Good luck.
:)

Yeah - That's just how I'd describe it. Just like sitting in a lounge chair.:rolleyes:

Spike-in-Berlin

The short answer...give the green side a whirl and see how you like it.

The explanation....
M:S has two versions...a green side and an orange side. The green side does not involve any spinning and comes off much like a smother version of the Star Tours simulator. The orange side has spinning and will generate a sustained G-force of around 1.8 G's for around 8-10 seconds. What gets most people on the orange side is either a panic attack from the G-forces (it will make is slightly harder to breath) or they do not keep their head straight. When you move your head out of the rotational arch your inner ear tells your brain that you are tumbling and for most people this will produce the not so pleasant protein spill. The child that died on the attraction was found to have a heart defect. He was just as likely to die walking through the parking lot as he was on the attraction.

It's only 1,8 g? I thought (and felt) it would be something more like 2 to 3 g in the moment of the takeoff.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's only 1,8 g? I thought (and felt) it would be something more like 2 to 3 g in the moment of the takeoff.
I am going strictly off memory, someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but from what I remember the max g-force in the ride is only 1.89 g. Other rides produce considerably more (4 g's on a roller coaster is pretty common) the main difference with M:S is that the forces last considerably longer then the 1/4 second or so that they are achieved on other attractions.

jenliving

I remember trying to get my sister on the ride and she wouldn't. I explained to her that it was similar to those spinning gravitron rides you see at the carnival, except on a much smaller scale. The poster who said keeping your eyes forward and looking straight and you won't have much of a sensation other than the pressure on your body.

It's a really fun ride, but I've found if your nervous about something just don't do it. There is another side of the attraction you can experience and other great attractions at the park. Also, the people who died had pre-existing conditions that could have been triggered by anything other than the ride.

fosse76

I remember trying to get my sister on the ride and she wouldn't. I explained to her that it was similar to those spinning gravitron rides you see at the carnival, except on a much smaller scale. The poster who said keeping your eyes forward and looking straight and you won't have much of a sensation other than the pressure on your body.

I don't doubt it. I remember the first time I rode it, I didn't notice the spinning and didn't know much about the attraction. I had wondered what caused the forces (I really didn't notice the spinning at all). Of course, now that I know it is the spinning, I always notice it!

LucyintheSky

I have no problem with any thrill rides, I love them. So I've always gone on the Orange side, the more intense side. A few weeks ago, I wanted to take my son on for his first time, but i knew that he wouldn't handle the intense side well. So we rode the Green side. I thought it wouldn't be as much fun, but it really was. Even though there's no spinning, it still manages to give you a similar experience, without the disorientating spinning.

So to the OP, I'd give the Green side a try. You don't move, except for the capsule tilting around a bit to give you a sense of motion. It's my son's favorite ride now, and he tends to be a big scaredy cat!

IWant2GoNow

My mom doesn't do roller coasters either and she did the more intense one this past trip and loved it! We also got her on BTMRR which was a pleasant surprise, especially when she said she would ride it again. :eek:

Master Gracey 5

I'll put it this way - if you can read while riding in a car and not get sick, you'll be fine on this ride and can probably handle the Orange side. As Yoda said, the people who get sick tend to have thrown off their sense of balance and lose their lunch, so its more an issue with motion sickness. The ride overall doesn't have any sharp changes in speed or direction like a roller coaster, you just feel the g-force effects for longer periods of time with slow changes.

I've never ridden green side, but if you want to take it slow then that's probably your best bet.

Have fun!

EpcotServo

I'll put it this way - if you can read while riding in a car and not get sick, you'll be fine on this ride and can probably handle the Orange side. As Yoda said, the people who get sick tend to have thrown off their sense of balance and lose their lunch, so its more an issue with motion sickness. The ride overall doesn't have any sharp changes in speed or direction like a roller coaster, you just feel the g-force effects for longer periods of time with slow changes.

I've never ridden green side, but if you want to take it slow then that's probably your best bet.

Have fun!

^yep. This is good.

Honestly though, the "If you can handle green alright you can do orange thing" doesn't really gel with me. all green does is tip left to right. It doesn't really prepare you for orange except for watching the same ride film.

I compare Orange (the real Mission Space) to sitting in (yes) a lounge chair and having someone slowly but hardly pressing against your chest and head. It feels alot like the ascent on Spaceship Earth, or lightspeed from Star Tours combined with the actual G-Force of RNR, without any real movement like a Roller Coaster or simulator.

JohnLocke

I've only done Green, keeping meaning to do Orange, but haven't gotten around to it the past few times. Do Green, at least, and if you like gravitrons you will probably like Orange.

If you like BTMR, you should really give Everest at least one try. I find it to be much smoother than BTMR and if you like BTMR you will probably like it.

RNRC is also something that's really worth trying at least once, and it's pretty smooth too.

I think Splash Mountain just looks steeper than it is, and the ride's theming is really outstanding and should be seen at least once.

kbmum

If you've ever experienced claustrophobia, don't go on this ride. I'd had claustrophobia only once many years ago (when I walked a couple of decks down inside the U.S.S. Constitution), so I thought I'd be fine on Mission:Space green. Wrong. I had quite the panic attack while sitting next to my six-year-old twins and husband, who were thankfully oblivious to my reaction and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. As soon as the cabin door opened, I was out like a shot and was shaky for a good half hour afterward.

Pooh Lover

I can do any roller coaster and any thrill ride but the "orange" version of MS almost had me in tears and I felt off for days. I felt the spinning immediately and was nauseous. Having said that, the "green" version doesn't affect me at all and I enjoy it.

Don't avoid MS but try the milder version first.

Tomi-Rocket

two versions....

There are actually two versions of the ride - Intense (which I love) and Mild (which my DH rides). We did the mild version on our second trip and there's nothing to it. Then it's more of a "story" than a ride. I think you'd be okay on the mild especially if you can take BTMR. :)
I'm the type of person who doesn't do roller coasters. My motto when it comes to rides usually is nothing that goes upside down and nothing with steep drops. I won't do everest, the aerosmith ride or splash mountain however, I have done similar rides in the past, for some reason splash mountain just looks stepper to me. I like big thunder mountain, I'm willing to try space mountain again after a horrible childhood experiance and I've never been on test track but I'll try it and I've been on Tower of terror several times, but not without a slight panic attack before and during. I think I secretly like it, but it still scares the crap out of me.

I was willing to try mission space for the first time until I read a fourm on here about how intense it is and that people died on it. Now I'm not so sure. Someone told me it's more intense than the aerosmith rollercoaster and that scared me. I can handle virtual reality and some jostling around, but if it's worse than I rollercoaster, I don't know. Exactly, what is this ride?

I need advice, do you think it might be too much for someone like me? Thanks.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Its overhyped on the build up and Im sure its the mental element of this that causes much of the nausea. Must say since Ive losr weight Orange is no saopy bunnle what so ever.

njDizFan

Most people do not have a problem with the orange side. I on the other hand do. In 2003 I went when there wasn't an option(green) and I was sick and miserable all day. I decided I would try the orange side in 2008, well, not as bad but still I was definatley woozey.

Granted I do not do well on any kind of simulators. Star Tours, body Wars, they all make me wanna :hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom