Is it worth staying at disney?

ILuvDisney

We Drive down to Disney about every other year and have always stayed someplace else. Last year we walked through a few of the resorts to see what they were like. The moderate priced resorts are a lit nicer than the Holiday Inn we stayed in last year but we can stay for 2 more days including food and ticket prices if we stay at the Holiday Inn again compared to the cost of the Disney hotels. I have heard from a lot of places that the rooms at the all star hotels aren't very nice but I have never been to them myself. Just wondering if anybody who has stayed there before could offer some advice. We are planning to go around spring next year for the 100 year party.

The Mom

Premium Member
Re: AWESOME!

Originally posted by disneyprep50321

I'm from Charlotte, and I've never heard of it! I'm sure I've been through it, just haven't noticed...

:)

It's not the sort of place you go through. ;) It's up in the mountains, near Cashiers, closest city is Ashville. Beautiful town!

Upvote 0

mickeyfan

I live in Florida (Fort Walton Beach, which is about 60 miles east of Pensacola) and we have "family reunions" at Disney quit often. I know it is not "themed" like the other resorts, but we stay at the Villas at the Disney Institute and get some great deals with our annual passes and Florida Resident discounts (remember that only the person booking the rooms has to have these to get the discounts). The bungalows (suite type accomodations) sleep up to five, the townhomes and treehouse villas sleep up to six and the Fairway Villas sleep up to eight. You an request for connecting rooms. My family, my sister's family, my brother's family, my sister-in-law's family and my mother-in-law (a total of 15 people) booked two of the fairway villas and they had a slidding wall that connected the two units (all together approximately 3000 square feet of space). They also have full kitchens, washer and dryers and daily maid service. We saved some money on meals and got to enjoy disney and enjoy having family time together. We are going the end of August and got an AP rate of $254.00 (includes tax) for one unit. We are splitting it three ways with other family members so it comes out to around $80-$90 a night per "family". About the price of the moderates, however a lot more room and we save money on eating out all the time. Hope you enjoy your trip (This will be out 26th time going down and we will be back next year for the 100th Celebration). Talked with family yesterday who want to plan a trip with us next year!! We are like the official family tour guides for Disney!!

Upvote 0

mickeyfan

By the way, I love the mountains also, but I am with marciahahn, I am terrified of heights and hyperventilate when my husband is driving those mountain rodes without rails!!! I can't drive up there! Can't you tell I am a true Floridian!! The flat lands!!

:eek:

Upvote 0

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
My fiancee and I have stayed at the All-Star Movies 3 times now, and we've always been really happy with it. We go at the slowest times of year. We usually go back to the hotel and take a nap by the pool. When we're there, the pools are quiet in the afternoon (busier at night). I haven't waited more than 15 minutes for any bus. True, all 3 all-star resorts share buses, but sometime you have to stand for the 10 minute drive....plus you can stop at all 3 all star resorts in about 5 minutes they're so close. We've had the handicapped shower and the regular tub/shower in our room and we agree that the floor of the handicapped one tends to stay wet. Just bring along a pair of sandals you can throw on quickly if you get this room.

I'd say maybe our experiences have been unique, but both of our families have stayed at the hotels, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Any questions, just ask!

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Re: AWESOME!

Originally posted by disneyprep50321

I'm from Charlotte, and I've never heard of it! I'm sure I've been through it, just haven't noticed...anyway, in April we went down and stayed at Dixie Landings, or Port Orleans: Riverside (they change the name so much, I don't even know what it is now!), and IT WAS AWESOME! It was our 1st time staying on Disney Property, and it was great! And the hotel was HUGE!

Here's the DL logo...

:)
[/QUOTE

Thanks for noticing my avatar! That's actually off of a post card we bought before the name changed.
Let's cut out all the confusion and just keep calling it Dixie Landings. If everyone else does, maybe Disney will change the name back!

Upvote 0

DanStat

Re: Re: AWESOME!

Originally posted by DisneyPhD

Thanks for noticing my avatar! That's actually off of a post card we bought before the name changed.
Let's cut out all the confusion and just keep calling it Dixie Landings. If everyone else does, maybe Disney will change the name back!

I was there right after they changed the name...because when we booked our vacation, they said we would still be staying at Dixie Landings, and when we got there we drove around FOREVER, because there wasn't a sign that said "Dixie Landings"!

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Yikes! If you've never been there before, it can be tricky to find. My first time there, we'd get on the bus and I would never know which direction we were headed. Of course I'm an old pro now.

Upvote 0

hadleybarth

We stayed off site for the first time ever this May. Although the hotel was fine by everyday standards, it did not compare to the experiences we have had at Disney's moderate resorts (Dixie Landings and Port Orleans). We will never stay off site again.
Also, even though you will have your own car; traffic snarls leaving the parks after a late show or fireworks can be terrible. It took us an hour and a half to get back to our hotel from MK after the fireworks on a Friday Night (even though the hotel was just a five minute drive away during normal times). Using Disney Transportation allows you to skip the long lines for the Ferry or Monorail at MK. Even if you elect to drive from your on site hotel to some of the parks you can avoid the traffic delays that always seem to occur just after you get off Disney Property (why is that anyway?)

Upvote 0

Cheffun

Disney off site

We have been to Disney 3 times and are going for our fourth time in a couple of weeks. We stayed on-site once when our kids were 4, 10 and 12. We were able to put one child on the floor or a roll away (can't quite remember). But I remember that it was pretty tight quarters. We stayed at the carribean beach area. We stayed at Disney for 3 nights and then went to a Hilton Time-share over by Sea World. Ahh! The space! For less then what we paid at Disney we got 2 bedrooms (ours had a king size bed), (And a big jacuzzi in our bedroom to boot!) a family room, a full kitchen, etc. There were several un-crowded pools, one with a waterfall, and 2 hot tubs. Yes, there was magic in Disney and I definately felt more part of the in-crowd but I just can't justify the cost. Unless you have a season pass or are a Florida resident, or don't mind paying twice as much for the same space, I can't see it. This time our kids are 8, 14 and 16 and we're staying at a Marriott time-share (2 bedroom, jacuzzi, etc.) 4 nights for $200, + 2 free passes to Universal. Okay, yes we do have to listen to the time share spiel but, that's the only negative.

Upvote 0

markymark

We have stayed on site only once, twice after this September. We are at Dixie Landings again this year and I can't wait.
We stay with family, they have a timeshare apartment on South I-Drive, and it is FANTASTIC, sure it isn't Disney with all its theming and perks but it really is superb, plus we are lucky that we only have to sort out a flight and a car, so it really is much cheaper!

I will say, however, that as WDW-Imagineer says, its the fact you know you are at Disney World and all the parks are in your back yard. It's is just so special, you really do fell like a guest and not just a customer.

Upvote 0

Debbie

If you are willing to gamble, I would drive down and stop at the Ocala welcome center. It gives me a quick fix 'cos I am just dying to get to WDW after a 10 hour drive. We always stop and get our room there. You don't know what you are going to get but if it's in the off season, you should have your pick and at walk in rates: We got the Polynesian for $149.00 nite and were offered the Dixie Landings/Port Orleans for $89.00 nite or All Stars for $59.00 nite. WE took the Poly and my husband won't stay anywhere else. We stayed off property the first nite because there wasn't any availability until the next nite. I wanted my husband to see what it was like anyway having to drive from U.S.192. He said "Screw this" " I'll pay the extra to stay on the grounds" Then when we got to the Poly (his first) he was like "this is the ticket". And we've stayed there ever since.....

Upvote 0

mej

We stayed in the All Star Movies 2 years ago and it was fine. We did have a car however, so that probably helped. We have also stayed in the Grosvenor, which was very handy to Downtown Disney. Prior to that we had stayed on I Drive - didn't like it much.
This year we had a villa - it had good and bad points. The washer & dryer were a real plus (we travel from Northern Ireland with 2 small kids and stay 3 weeks - thats a lot of clothes without a washing machine! - and a lot of baggage weight - we like to "stock up" in the outlet stores!) On the down side, it was quite far out - about 25mins drive from disney, along the Osceola Parkway.

Upvote 0

John Boyle

Staying On Site

I have visited WDW fourteen times now and have stayed on site all but the first time. I agree with many comments read here that the on-site stay is really part of the magic. Over the years I have been fortunate enough to stay in all the MK resorts and have just returned from a stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Ofcourse one would expect the ultimate in Disney mystique from these resorts and you get it.
A few years ago I did stay in the All Sports Resort and I too found it to be a big let down. It is true that there is very little Disney feel there. My biggest laugh was a return to the resort one night from Epcot when we were picked up in a tractor-trailer type bus!. The huge volume of guests in these resorts requires really MASS transport!
If you really love Disney and intend to make multiple visits as I have over the years I strongly suggest you look at the Disney Vacation Club. I finally joined this year and should have done so years ago.

Bye for now,

JB.

Upvote 0

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by ILuvDisney
We Drive down to Disney about every other year and have always stayed someplace else. Last year we walked through a few of the resorts to see what they were like. The moderate priced resorts are a lit nicer than the Holiday Inn we stayed in last year but we can stay for 2 more days including food and ticket prices if we stay at the Holiday Inn again compared to the cost of the Disney hotels. I have heard from a lot of places that the rooms at the all star hotels aren't very nice but I have never been to them myself. Just wondering if anybody who has stayed there before could offer some advice. We are planning to go around spring next year for the 100 year party.

Hey ILUVEDISNEY! Sorry to keep you awaiting. well my experince at the All Stars has been great. We have stayed at the sports the 1st time and the movies the last 2 times. It has its good and bad. The rooms are just like a holiday inn only themed up. Like this year we stayed at 101 dalamation and the rooms was full of dalmation dogs. pretty cute! outside the rooms theres 3 story characters. U have to walk to the food court which is located in the main hotel. The food is good and not really a bad price. There our 2 pools. They can get crowded at times. depends on when u go. Buses can be good and bad. I pretty much drove to the parks. casue after any of the night time shows u will wait a long time for a bus. I would suggest staying there and work ur way up year by year. then u can decide! if u have any other ?'s feel freee to ask. I'm always here to help if i can.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom