Is it worth it to become a DVC member

MissDiznee66

Original Poster
because of the fact that we are dying to stay at either the Poly w/a MK view, BWI w/a BW view and the Contemporary in the tower w/a MK view as well? It seems that for the 3 of us w/dining included that these could easily cost about 5k each. And of course I'm not talking about all of these at one time, but we were hoping once a year or so on a regular basis. I've been talking w/someone who sells the DVC's and right now they are going for the Saratoga Springs, I believe...? And I know they start at 14k, so even if you invest that amount in it, it seems worth it? Any advice appreciated. :veryconfu

Spine_DR

I believe it is well worth it and they are currently selling SSR but like you will here many times over buy were you want to stay, you can buy the sold out resorfs from Disney directly or from resale. You mentioned the Boardwalk view it is cool the last too times my family went we got Boardwalk view but we go in July "which is kinda an off season for alot of DVC members. There are many threads in the vacation club section of the forum that will help ansewer your questions cause the DVC system can be a bit technical at times.

slappy magoo

The more you plan to go, the more it makes sense to buy in. Disney vacations are probably not going to get any cheaper, you know what I mean?

Keep in mind, there are maintenance fees every month, and you'll need to factor that into your budget. I suspect some people buy a lot of points during an odd occasion when they have some sort of windfall of cash, only to not go as much as they thought they would, or start hurting on the maintenance.

The plan for my betrothed and I is not to go every single year, but to go 2 or three times in one year, then take a year or two off, go other places (Yes, there are actually "other places" :eek: ). When we can afford to do so, we may buy extra points to make sure we can always at least stay in a one bedroom. It is very convenient to pack less, throw a load of laundry in the wash in the morning, dry it when you get back to the room, and never have to hover over an open laundromat for fear some freak will steal your wife's bra! And the option of taking a night off, making a little dinner in the kitchen and veg out for a night is a nice option as well.

We would also probably opt for the discounted annual passes, which would then make sense for us to go two or three times in a one-year period. And if we run out of points, then we can use the AP discount for rooms at resorts that aren't part of the DVC, like the Animal Kingdom Lodge or even Port Orelans Riverside. It gives you affordable options.

Some people think of traditional time share as an investment, something they can sell if they need to. You won't make a profit selling DVC, but like I said earlier, if you know that you'd like to spend many vacations at WDW, it's not a bad way to plan ahead.

But if you're still not sure, consider this: Many DVC members rent their points if they know they can't go to WDW in a given length of time (OR, if they just need some quick cash). I think most people rent between 11 or 12 dollars a point. You can always rent some points and set up a vacation that way, see how you like the experience, maybe even do one of the DVC tours for more research...

For a one-week stay at Boardwalk Inn Villas, preferred view, if you rented the points necessary at $11 a point, a studio room would cost between 1144 for the week (value) and 1991 (premiere). To pay rack rates for that same room for 7 nights would cost between 1883 and 2723 (give or take, I'm using info from allearsnet.com and the DVC timeshare store, so my accuracy is partially based on theirs). So you'd save at least 700 dollars renting the points, you'd still get a Disney vacation out of it, and you'd have the opportunity to determine whether or not DVC is right for you.

As I sais, something to ponder...

PixyDust

If you want to stay in the resorts that are not actually villas within the DVC family, you will not save by joining DVC. You can use points for Poly, Contemporary, etc, but you will pay out the wazoo. Now, if the Cont. DVC becomes a reality in a couple of months, you can cancel what I just said. However, at the current time, your specific situation would not be ideal for DVC.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The big thing you need to look at is the maintenance fees at almost $4.00 per point per year. We have 380 points, thats going to cost us right at $1500 a year for the next 49 years.

Now what you have to figure out is, would you pay $1500 in lodging a year at Disney. If you go once a year and stay at a moderate for 10 days, you probably will break even (not taking into consideration the investment value of all the money you put into the deal). If you go every year for 10 days and stay at the values, you probably would not come out on the DVC.

Where you come out is if you plan to take multiple trips each year, or every other year, and can purchase the AP (discounted). There are a number of discounts available to DVC and AP holders.

Basically, you should treat it as a luxury and not an investment. You dont invest in vacations. Vacations are a luxury. If you go into it with that mindset, you will be satisfied.

When we joined DVC, I told our rep that we love the Contemporary and that's where we would want to stay on each trip. She said that once we saw the BWV and stayed there, we would love it as much as the Contemporary. I shrugged it off as sales talk, but she was right.
For us, BWV is home and we wouldn't want to make a trip to WDW without staying there, at least part of the time. The last time we stayed at the Contemporary, we found ourselves back at the BWV for a meal and wishing we were still staying there.
To explore other resorts, we book a few nights at another deluxe and then go "home" to the BWV.
This year, we're staying at AKL for 3 nights and then BWV for 7 nights.

You can belong to DVC and still see other WDW resorts, but you may not want to as much once you are "home".

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
When we joined DVC, I told our rep that we love the Contemporary and that's where we would want to stay on each trip. She said that once we saw the BWV and stayed there, we would love it as much as the Contemporary. I shrugged it off as sales talk, but she was right.
For us, BWV is home and we wouldn't want to make a trip to WDW without staying there, at least part of the time. The last time we stayed at the Contemporary, we found ourselves back at the BWV for a meal and wishing we were still staying there.
To explore other resorts, we book a few nights at another deluxe and then go "home" to the BWV.
This year, we're staying at AKL for 3 nights and then BWV for 7 nights.

You can belong to DVC and still see other WDW resorts, but you may not want to as much once you are "home".

I feel the same way about Wilderness Lodge Villas.

Aurora_25

If you are looking at staying at places like Contemporary or the Poly- it actually doesn't make alot of sense because the point system works the best within the DVC resorts. When you start looking at staying at places like the Poly that doesn't have the DVC side of things- the more points you are spending. You would spend more points than you probably wanted to because you were going outside of the DVC resorts. Just a thought for you. My DH and I have 380 points and have always stayed at DVC resorts- his favorite is Wilderness Lodge villas and mine, well- I don't have one quite yet- we haven't stayed at all of them yet so there is still time.
Whatever you decide, you will have a great time!

darthjohnny

I think its worth it if you only visit, like once a year. Otherwise, it would be cheaper to get hotel rooms if you were a frequent visitor.

swedishengineer

the Mousesavers website has a really good, detailed look at the costs of ownership (she even did a spreadsheet, you can play with numbers yourself). Go here:
http://www.mousesavers.com/dvc.html#dvc

I could see it working for some people, but if we stick with the moderate resorts (which we really like), we wouldn't break even on the annual fee (not to mention the initial cost).

Summary: website good.

tednvon

This whole question seems to hinge on
1. staying on property and ...
2. staying in very best Disney has to offer

As much as I love Disney and we have been 40+ times since the early 70's we have never stayed on property and I know that alone has allowed us to make many extra trips.

Any "timeshare" or now vacation ownership has never made any economic sense to me..here are my numbers:

1. DVC or timeshare high end by in...........$15,000 usually at 7-10% over 10 year...so now it has cost over $22,000.

2.What does it cost to build a 2-3 bedroom 2 bath "condo"? Actual cost is about 70K max...So if they sell 50 weeks at 15K that 2-3 BR condo just sold for $750,000!!!...no wonder they can give you a free breakfast and a few park tickets!!

3. Now add in the infamous "maintainance fees" of $600 to $1500/year and this is starting to get expensive.!!

4 I absolutely guarantee anyone I can rent a very nice 3 bedroom 2 bath condo that is a 15 minute drive to the parking lots (quicker than Disney buses, not the monorail) for $650 to $750 a week tops. I guarantee I can find anyone 3-4 bedroom 2 bath single family HOME with PRIVATE HEATED POOL for $750 to $850 a week within 15 minutes of the parks....

So, I have not put ANY money down, I am not paying 7-10% interest on a loan, I am not paying any fees, and I have saved somewhere around $30,000 to $40,000 and still have 3-4 bedrooms and 2-3 baths THREE (NOT ONE) TIMES a year for about $2000. I have invested or saved that monthly payment of $300 and have over $4000/year and will spend only $600 to $800/week for my Disney vacation condo or home!!!! IS THAT EASY MATH OR WHAT???

The only reason I would ever do DVC is if I had SO MUCH disposable income that the above figures made no difference to me or my budget. I want to make 1 phone call, no hassels, and stay absolute 1st class...dream on, Ted!!

OH, and the "but you can trade for Hawaii" sales pitch...my wife and found a 1 bedroom condo OCEANFRONT in Maui with unobststructed view of Molokai for $600 a week on www.vrbo.com

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION!

TED

DisneyPhD

In my mind, the first two points you made are the biggest factors. We always stay on Disney property and are just a 5 minute drive from the parks or a short bus ride (I bet I can be in the MK before you if we both left at the same time). We do get some housekeeping during the week and we get the best Disney has to offer for about the same money you're talking about. Including my initial buy-in (which we did not finance) costs me about $400-500 per week with (in my humble opinion) a much better location and service. I also don't have to rent a car or pay for parking when I stay at Disney so that is a factor also.

As for your other points,
1. Yes it is a significant amount up front and more if you finance but it saves us in the long run over staying at other Disney resorts.
2. I'm not so sure about your $70k estimate for building a condo. I just added 2 BR and 1 bath to my house for $30k and did most of the work myself so $70k seems a bit cheap for 2-3 BR condo and 2 baths.
3. Our $750 maintainance fees get us closer to 2 weeks at DVC.
4. Can you guarantee your rates 5 years from now? 10? 20? 30? I can!
I make 1 phone call and get the best Disney has to offer.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
In my mind, the first two points you made are the biggest factors. We always stay on Disney property and are just a 5 minute drive from the parks or a short bus ride (I bet I can be in the MK before you if we both left at the same time). We do get some housekeeping during the week and we get the best Disney has to offer for about the same money you're talking about. Including my initial buy-in (which we did not finance) costs me about $400-500 per week with (in my humble opinion) a much better location and service. I also don't have to rent a car or pay for parking when I stay at Disney so that is a factor also.

As for your other points,
1. Yes it is a significant amount up front and more if you finance but it saves us in the long run over staying at other Disney resorts.
2. I'm not so sure about your $70k estimate for building a condo. I just added 2 BR and 1 bath to my house for $30k and did most of the work myself so $70k seems a bit cheap for 2-3 BR condo and 2 baths.
3. Our $750 maintainance fees get us closer to 2 weeks at DVC.
4. Can you guarantee your rates 5 years from now? 10? 20? 30? I can!
I make 1 phone call and get the best Disney has to offer.

I totally agree with you, and personally believe that your number 4 is the biggest, by far, issue that we DVC owners can hold on to. Ten years from now when a value resort night is 125 to 150, and we are staying for basically free (basically = yearly dues), its a good decision...if you have the disposable income.

typhoonguy

This whole question seems to hinge on

2.What does it cost to build a 2-3 bedroom 2 bath "condo"? Actual cost is about 70K max...So if they sell 50 weeks at 15K that 2-3 BR condo just sold for $750,000!!!...no wonder they can give you a free breakfast and a few park tickets!!

4 I absolutely guarantee anyone I can rent a very nice 3 bedroom 2 bath condo that is a 15 minute drive to the parking lots (quicker than Disney buses, not the monorail) for $650 to $750 a week tops. I guarantee I can find anyone 3-4 bedroom 2 bath single family HOME with PRIVATE HEATED POOL for $750 to $850 a week within 15 minutes of the parks....

TED

A 2/3 bedroom condo for 70K? IN ORLANDO?!? HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a funny guy...

And a house for 750-850 a week? Maybe in the middle of january in Kissimee on John Young Parkway (hope you enjoy the sound of police sirens). With the DVC you're paying for consistently quality accomidations and the benefits of staying on property. If you're looking to 'save a buck' and like to stay off property (which I never understood, but to each his own) then the DVC is not for you. If you're strapped for cash, the DVC is not for you. If you're a non-frequent visitor, then the DVC is not for you. However, if you enjoy quality over quantity, or if you are a frequent visitor (at least once every-other year) that it may be for you.

There are much better people to speak with on this topic than those that are looking for a cheap stay. Am I a DVC member? No. Is it a good value? It sure is. Will I be a DVC member in time? Sure will, probably within the next 2-3 months. I'm just waiting to see if there's an announcement for the Contemp. And you know what? I'm becoming a DVC member, AND I LIVE IN ORLANDO...

My best advice is take the tour and talk with the Tour Guides. DVC sales reps on the tours will not pressure you and can do some math for you. On the tour, my father was specifically told that the DVC would probably not be a good value for him, which is the truth. With his line of business, income and amount of vacation time he gets, the DVC would not be a good value. And the Tour Guide was up front with that.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
A 2/3 bedroom condo for 70K? IN ORLANDO?!? HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a funny guy...

And a house for 750-850 a week? Maybe in the middle of january in Kissimee on John Young Parkway (hope you enjoy the sound of police sirens). With the DVC you're paying for consistently quality accomidations and the benefits of staying on property. If you're looking to 'save a buck' and like to stay off property (which I never understood, but to each his own) then the DVC is not for you. If you're strapped for cash, the DVC is not for you. If you're a non-frequent visitor, then the DVC is not for you. However, if you enjoy quality over quantity, or if you are a frequent visitor (at least once every-other year) that it may be for you.

There are much better people to speak with on this topic than those that are looking for a cheap stay. Am I a DVC member? No. Is it a good value? It sure is. Will I be a DVC member in time? Sure will, probably within the next 2-3 months. I'm just waiting to see if there's an announcement for the Contemp. And you know what? I'm becoming a DVC member, AND I LIVE IN ORLANDO...

My best advice is take the tour and talk with the Tour Guides. DVC sales reps on the tours will not pressure you and can do some math for you. On the tour, my father was specifically told that the DVC would probably not be a good value for him, which is the truth. With his line of business, income and amount of vacation time he gets, the DVC would not be a good value. And the Tour Guide was up front with that.

I can concur that you will not be preasured. We got the DVC packet of info mailed to us and we took over a year to decide that it was what we wanted to do, and we may have received one follow up call to make sure we received the material. Once we decided that we wanted to do it, we were not preasured to purchase more points than what we wanted.

We made a concious decision that Disney was likely going to be our vacation destination 70-80% of the time. And you know what, the other 20% of the time, we will likely use points to trade into a vacation that we want to take.

Again, its not for everyone. If it was, they would be building dozens of DVC properties. Its a nice option to have for those of us to appreciate what Disney does to make our vacations memorable. Its just another piece of the pie in our opinion.

DisneyBride94

We seriously considered joining the DVC...but after talking it over with our Financial Advisor, we decided it was not the best investment for us.

We are looking to buy a vacation home NEAR Disney and will rent it out part of the year to cover costs... and may still opt to stay on property once a year, and at our own place another time each year. When it's all paid for, it will be ours outright and we can use it long term when we retire... and unless it disappears in a hurricane, we'll still have it long after the terms of a Disney Vacation Club membership are over. We're just waiting for the Orlando housing market to correct a bit more... We figure what we spend on a week's lodging at Disney on property would cover at least 2 months of a mortgage each year... Between friends and family we could probably rent it out at least 24 weeks a year... We don't really care about making money off it, just covering the costs of ownership...and having it for our golden years. A longterm investment.

There are some cost benefit analysis available on the net if you search for them... It just didn't make good financial sense to us... as much as we love Disney and the idea of joining DVC.

tednvon

Hi...to Disneybride,
We have owned a rental home in Emerald Island and sold last year. It was for investment only. We sold before the huge increase in homes and condos and when resale was very easy.

We have spent many many hours researching the area, and watching the rental market. If you can honestly get 24 weeks from family and friends (that is a lot) then it could break even for you. Do not believe what the realtors tell you. The market right now saturated with rental homes. You can go to sites like www.vrbo.com and www.villas2000 and look at all the homes for rent and check the ones with the red rental calendars. They will help give a sense of how much these homes are renting, and they are marketing to the whole world, not just friends and family.

I am NOT a realtor or have any stake whatsoever in your purchase. If you have questions let me know...it can be lots of fun to own, but it is WORK with lots of hidden expenses. So unless you truly can afford to cover only half or less of the costs from rentals, beware of any promises.

All the best...Ted

DisneyPhD

We seriously considered joining the DVC...but after talking it over with our Financial Advisor, we decided it was not the best investment for us.

It just didn't make good financial sense to us... as much as we love Disney and the idea of joining DVC.

That's an important point to make. DVC should not be used as an investment (other than in your future vacations). It does depreciate. However that has not happened to any significant amount yet mainly due to Disney using it's right of first refusal on resales to keep the value DVC contracts up. Many people are selling either at a profit or breaking even (even after factoring in inflation). We bought at VWL for around $78 per point back in 2002. Resales are now selling for around $80-$90 per point (not that we would ever sell). Obviously as the end of the contract approaches in 2042 (or 2054 at SSR) the values are going to drop dramatically, but that's only if you plan on selling.

disbest

Obviously as the end of the contract approaches in 2042 (or 2054 at SSR) the values are going to drop dramatically, but that's only if you plan on selling.

I agree that the value will drop, but during the last 10 years of ownership you can rent your DVC to recover any costs.

If you plan to frequent Disney than it may be better to buy a DVC. We spent the past 4 years visiting Disney World and for us it made sense to buy a DVC unit. We purchased last year at SSR. But hind site I wished we purchased at BCV. It has much more to offer and it is a popular resort. It is easier to rent and the resale is much higher than the other resorts. I believe this is due to the popularity of the resort and the limited number of units. After visitng the BCV last year we liked it much better than SSR. If you do decide to purchase, make sure you visit all of the DVC resorts and pick the one that best meets your vacation plans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom