Is it worth it to become a DVC member

DisneyPhD

I agree that the value will drop, but during the last 10 years of ownership you can rent your DVC to recover any costs.

If you plan to frequent Disney than it may be better to buy a DVC. We spent the past 4 years visiting Disney World and for us it made sense to buy a DVC unit. We purchased last year at SSR. But hind site I wished we purchased at BCV. It has much more to offer and it is a popular resort. It is easier to rent and the resale is much higher than the other resorts. I believe this is due to the popularity of the resort and the limited number of units. After visitng the BCV last year we liked it much better than SSR. If you do decide to purchase, make sure you visit all of the DVC resorts and pick the one that best meets your vacation plans.

We own at VWL, and I wish it was BCV too. Our guide talked us into buying VWL because it was smaller and harder to get into. Really she just wanted us to buy then. I wish we had waited, but we haven't had too big of a problem staying at BCV (that is until SSR opened.) We are booked for VWL this Jan 2007, and have been on the wait list for BCV. I don't think it will come through because of the marathon weekend. Oh well.

disbest

We own at VWL, and I wish it was BCV too. Our guide talked us into buying VWL because it was smaller and harder to get into. Really she just wanted us to buy then. I wish we had waited, but we haven't had too big of a problem staying at BCV (that is until SSR opened.) We are booked for VWL this Jan 2007, and have been on the wait list for BCV. I don't think it will come through because of the marathon weekend. Oh well.

We are also on a waiting list at both BW and BCV this year. We were told that we will not know until 30 days prior to our trip. This makes it difficult to bank points because certain rooms and views at the BCV and BW require more points than SSR.

We seriously considered joining the DVC...but after talking it over with our Financial Advisor, we decided it was not the best investment for us.

We are looking to buy a vacation home NEAR Disney and will rent it out part of the year to cover costs... and may still opt to stay on property once a year, and at our own place another time each year. When it's all paid for, it will be ours outright and we can use it long term when we retire... and unless it disappears in a hurricane, we'll still have it long after the terms of a Disney Vacation Club membership are over. We're just waiting for the Orlando housing market to correct a bit more... We figure what we spend on a week's lodging at Disney on property would cover at least 2 months of a mortgage each year... Between friends and family we could probably rent it out at least 24 weeks a year... We don't really care about making money off it, just covering the costs of ownership...and having it for our golden years. A longterm investment.

There are some cost benefit analysis available on the net if you search for them... It just didn't make good financial sense to us... as much as we love Disney and the idea of joining DVC.

I have a few questions. Your post made me curious.

1) You spend as much as two months mortgage payments on one week at Disney? How much is a mortgage payment on a home in Florida?

2) Won't you have to pay a manager or somebody to maintain this property while you live up North? That's an expense that will add to the nut you have to cover, right?

3) What's the $$$ ballpark for the vacation homes near WDW?

tednvon

hello...from a former owner of a rental home...

A 3br 2ba home on a slab, with an inground pool, furnished, ready to rent...about 2-10 years old will be about$240 to $280,000...10 years ago they sold new for 99 to 119,000.

Mortgage is the same as anywhere else...but interest will be about 1% higher as a rental...

Yes big management fees while you live up north...plus You pay all utilities, cable, pool care, bug care, dues to association, tax, repairs at 40.00 bucks and hour, cleaning everytime there is a rental ($100 or so)

You must keep it rented at least 30 weeks at 700 to 800 a week to break even.

Now there are 4, 5, 6, and 7 bedroom homes that all go up in price....7 bedrooms will be about $650,000 and rent for about $1500 to 2500 a week.

Hope that helps...Ted

fillerup

We seriously considered joining the DVC...but after talking it over with our Financial Advisor, we decided it was not the best investment for us.

We are looking to buy a vacation home NEAR Disney and will rent it out part of the year to cover costs... and may still opt to stay on property once a year, and at our own place another time each year. When it's all paid for, it will be ours outright and we can use it long term when we retire... and unless it disappears in a hurricane, we'll still have it long after the terms of a Disney Vacation Club membership are over. We're just waiting for the Orlando housing market to correct a bit more... We figure what we spend on a week's lodging at Disney on property would cover at least 2 months of a mortgage each year... Between friends and family we could probably rent it out at least 24 weeks a year... We don't really care about making money off it, just covering the costs of ownership...and having it for our golden years. A longterm investment.

There are some cost benefit analysis available on the net if you search for them... It just didn't make good financial sense to us... as much as we love Disney and the idea of joining DVC.

Not trying to veer off topic here, but since this came up, I wanted to discuss it, and it's semi-relevant to the issue.

A very experienced realtor that I've used for several property transactions called me a short while ago just to chat. We discussed the following:

As of yesterday, Aug 14, 2006 - the Central Fla inventory of homes for sale is 20,770, a 600% increase from one year ago. These are listings of private sellers only, which doesn't include homes for sale by developers.

From personal experience I can tell you that there are over 300 homes in Celebration on the market not including the condo conversion of Mirasol or hundreds of homes being built in Artisan Park. There are probably the same number for rent.

An article in the Orlando Sentinel about a month ago cited estimates that by the end of 2006 there would be around 100,000 homes for rent in Central Fla, most of them vacation homes.

It's the best buyer's market he's seen in 21 years. He has clients becoming desperate and dropping prices 50 to 70k at a clip.

He believes we're in the very early stages of a 3 to 5 year correction and that the area as a whole is 25 to 30% overpriced.

The property flippers are starting to hurt big time.

He has more business than he's had in 5 years because tons of people who got licenses and jumped into the biz cannot make it now and sellers/buyers are looking for experienced agents.

Only my opinion, but I'd be careful in these circumstances about being an absentee vacation home owner.

Thanks, TednVon and Fillerup, for the interesting info on vacation homes. It actually makes me happier than before to know that I have a timeshare in a place that I'll enjoy visiting for many years to come without the headache of long distance rentals and a fluctuating market. If I lived near Florida or wanted to be a snow bird, it might be another story.

Different strokes for different folks, but it's DVC for me and, yes, it's worth it to become a member.

Woody13

There are 20 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA’s) in the state of Florida. Statewide the average single family home sales market has declined 29%. All MSA’s had sales declines for the month of June, 2006. Some areas (such as West Palm Beach, Daytona Beach and Sarasota/Bradenton) got hammered! Increasing mortgage rates, rising insurance premiums, higher energy costs and higher inventory levels have driven the market down. Some say the bottom has dropped out. I think the bottom has not yet been seen!

Would I buy DVC now? No way. It’s a buyers market right now. The Orlando MSA had a 21% decline in sales of single family homes. However, they also had 12% increase in the sales of existing condominiums. There are lots of good deals to be had in the greater Orlando MSA now.

It’s now a waiting game. As fillerup mentioned, the flippers are starting to panic. That’s a good sign for buyers. Find a good real estate attorney in the area and then go shopping. I view the current real estate market in the Orlando MSA as a great opportunity. Seize the future! :wave:

socalkdg

the Mousesavers website has a really good, detailed look at the costs of ownership (she even did a spreadsheet, you can play with numbers yourself). Go here:
http://www.mousesavers.com/dvc.html#dvc

I could see it working for some people, but if we stick with the moderate resorts (which we really like), we wouldn't break even on the annual fee (not to mention the initial cost).

Summary: website good.

I could see it working for some people, but if we stick with the moderate resorts (which we really like), we wouldn't break even on the annual fee (not to mention the initial cost).
Somehow your info is messed up. Lets look at three situations comparing only the annual fee and the cost of a moderate:

Comparing Studio to Moderate(I'll assume 20% discount off rack)

Sunday to Friday: 5 days cost 60 points or $240 in annual fee. Rate at moderate would be over $600 when including tax

Saturday to Saturday: 7 days cost 110 points or $440 in annual fee. Rate at moderate would be over $875 when including tax

Sunday to Wedneday: 10 days cost 146 points or $590 in annual fee. Rate at moderate would be over $1250 when including tax.

You can get 100 points for as low as $7000 in the resale market. That will get you a yearly vacation in a studio(6 or 7 nights). So payback would be around 15 years when comparing to a moderate. Half that when comparing to a deluxe.

You have to decide if you want to stay onsite or offsite. If offsite is fine, a renting a home is a great way go. Otherwise DVC is a great option.

P.S. The Contemporary is highly rumored as the next DVC to be announced in Oct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom