Is it worth it ($'s and time)?

Zonehenge

Original Poster
Hi All,

We are HUGE Disneyland fans and normally we go Disneyland not Walt Disney World (we go to the park every other year or more often). However we are thinking of going to Walt Disney World for the first time this fall. Since we live in Boise, Idaho we are looking at loosing 2 days in travel (day there and day back). Plus we will be taking our 10 year old son and (in fall) 6 month old daughter. My questions is, is it worth it? We LOVE all things Disney, especially Disneyland (we affectionately refer to it as Home - our real Home). Right now we are excited about the Idea of going to Walt Disney World, but what we really are is Home sick. Is Walt Disney World really worth the cost both in $'s and traval time, or is it better just to go to Disneyland? What are your thoughts on the matter, all opinions are appreciated.

sbkline

I've never been to DisneyLand, so I am not qualified to evaluate that particular park.

However, I do know that it is just that park and California Adventure, whereas WDW is 4 theme parks, 2 mini-golf parks, dozens and dozens of restaraunts, and the Magic Kingdom is bigger than its DL counterpart. So I would say it is definitely worth the money. Because no matter how good DL is, I can't imagine that it would compare with Walt Disney World.

MPitzen

well, IMHO I would say hands down wdw is worth every penny, and since you're going in the fall you could probally get a good discount. I would definitely call and make the reservation. But once again, everything at wdw is so themed and unbelievable - magical it's amazing. It's something you have to see! The other thing to remember since you're going for the first time is that wdw has 4 parks, 2 waterparks, downtown disney, the boardwalk, as well as all of the other resorts for you to explore. Therefore, I would plan as long of a vacation as possible. We usually go for 9 - 10 days and never have enough time.

Finally, I would consider flying. With wdw having magical express it is not a big deal to get from the airport to the world and back, and as usual disney takes care of your transportation inside of wdw. You would only need 3 seats as your 6 mo old could sit on someone's lap. Plus I would not want to drive that long with a 6 mo old.

Another thing that I would recommend depending on your budget, would be to look into a monorail hotel (grand floridian, poly, or contemporary); or, you might want to stay in the Beach Club because epcot & mgm would be a boat ride / short walk away and you have never been to anything like these before.

Sorry this is so long, I just believe that you should definitely go to wdw, as I believe that it is my home!

morgan22

IMHO you should definately take the trip... we make a yearly trip back 'home' across the atlantic to WDW - although I love Disneyland, CA and if i'd never been to WDW I would think it couldn't be beaten ... but you just can't compare them as WDW has so much more to offer and has to be seen to be believed... we'll be travelling this year with an 11mth old (should be interesting!!)

Ella's Mommy

I have to second that. I have never been to Disenyland but I sure its two small parks can't compare to the 4 HUGE WDW park. I am just like you in calling disney my home. I would venture to say that you will probably have the time of your life. If you love Disneyland that much you will probably have a heart attck at WDW. When you go to WDW you feel like you have left the real world and stepped into a fantasy. Its sooooooo awesome and soooooo worth the money.

the-reason14

IMO, you should go to WDW. Ive never been to DL, been wanting to for years, but never got the opurtunity to go, but WDW without a doubt is uncomparable. So go and see for yourself what all the fuss is about, I promise you, you wont regret it.:)

KYfriedPanda

Go! Even if you don't love it (and you WILL love it), at least you can say you tried. Otherwise you spend the rest of your life wondering "what if".

Since1976

I just visited both parks within one year, so I guess I have a good perspective...

Disneyland is jam-packed full of stuff, and the offerings of the whole 2-park resort can be satisfactorily experienced in just a couple of days. That's not to say you can see EVERYTHING in two days, but you will come away feeling you've really done Disneyland.

On the other hand, you can stay at WDW for seven days straight and still not feel like you've seen all you need to see. I personally *like* that feeling, because it means that my own experience of the resort has been completely different than the other guy's. The wealth of things to do at WDW makes the individual guest experience very unique and tailored.

In the end, it really all depends on your willingness to step into a seemingly limitless larger world, or to stay where you're comfortable. I would go to either resort in a heartbeat if the opportunity were laid before me -- the only deciding factor would be my mood.

ljl14

It is sooooooooooooooooo worth going to!!! I've been to Disneyland twice and the Magic Kingdom, MGM, Animal Kingdom and Epcot are (IMO) far superior.

41 DAYS!!!!!:sohappy: :wave: :ROFLOL: Sorry, I get giddy just thinking about it!!!

kcnole

I recently saw a side by side comparison which showed that there were really only about 10 more attractions total in the whole WDW Resort than in the entire Disneyland Resort due to their Magic Kingdom being jam packed with attractions. However I would say that if you have never visited WDW then you owe it to yourself to visit and judge for yourself. You'll probably like some things better than Disneyland and some things not nearly as much.

However I will say this. If your trip will coincide with the subs opening up at Disneyland you may want to think about it hard. There's two things to keep in mind. 1. It's the friggin subs coming back and who would want to miss that. 2. You may not even get to see the subs due to the huge number of people who will be trying to get on them. The daily capacity for the subs is only something like 25,000 people and with 650,000 AP's who will probably be trying to see them as well. It will have a very very long line.

pacochran

We love WDW, and would one day like to go to DL, but I have heard from a few people who went to WDW then to DL said while they enjoyed DL they were a little disappointed, that WDW spoiled it for them. So I would say it is worth the extra money and at least see it once.

slappy magoo

Opinion #1: I'd be much more emphatic about going to WDW were it not for the fact that one of your kids is 6 months old. That's a looooot of extra prep for you and your wife, you're gonna have to keep the infant constantly protected from the searing Florida sun (not like sunburn isn't a possibility in California, but it seems that Florida heat is much more heatier). And only you and your spouse would have a great idea if the infant could handle that kind of travel, and that degree of heat.

Opinion #2: I hope you're giving WDWmagic some kickback or quid pro quo by linking your online business on THEIR boards in YOUR signature. Because even though your business is Disney-related, it comes across like you're trying to profit by piggy-backing on someone else's hard work, and that ain't right. I noticed the last time you posted ANYTHING on these boards it was June of last year, to introduce your Disney website to a bunch of Disney fans. If you were single and had a one-night stand, would you be willing to contact HER after 8 months, without a phone call, an email, a hey-how-ya-doing, and ask HER for advice?

In fact, an overly suspicious person might claim that you're only posing this question, 8 months after your first joined, so that you COULD try to freely advertise your website in your signature. I'll leave that claim for an overly suspicious person to make.

Let me know when you're having your next block party, so I can hand out business cards to all your neighbors. :wave:

k.hunter30

Coming from a self-proclaimed 25-year-old WDW AND Disneyland vet, save the money you'd spend on a trip to Disneyland and add it to your WDW vacation budget. Disneyland, while very fun, doesn't have the same magic.

e.g. - Last time I was in Disneyland I saw a Tomorrowland CM walking down Main Street - something you would NEVER see in WDW.

Ella's Mommy

Chill out slappy. I didnt even notice that. As for the heat comment did you even read the post. If your going during the fall it should be beautiful weather. Of course you should always wear sun screen but your not going to bake like during the summer. If you have a stroller with a visor on it and keep ur child hydrated and out of the sun you'll be okay.

starflyer59

Opinion #1: I'd be much more emphatic about going to WDW were it not for the fact that one of your kids is 6 months old. That's a looooot of extra prep for you and your wife, you're gonna have to keep the infant constantly protected from the searing Florida sun (not like sunburn isn't a possibility in California, but it seems that Florida heat is much more heatier). And only you and your spouse would have a great idea if the infant could handle that kind of travel, and that degree of heat.

Opinion #2: I hope you're giving WDWmagic some kickback or quid pro quo by linking your online business on THEIR boards in YOUR signature. Because even though your business is Disney-related, it comes across like you're trying to profit by piggy-backing on someone else's hard work, and that ain't right. I noticed the last time you posted ANYTHING on these boards it was June of last year, to introduce your Disney website to a bunch of Disney fans. If you were single and had a one-night stand, would you be willing to contact HER after 8 months, without a phone call, an email, a hey-how-ya-doing, and ask HER for advice?

In fact, an overly suspicious person might claim that you're only posing this question, 8 months after your first joined, so that you COULD try to freely advertise your website in your signature. I'll leave that claim for an overly suspicious person to make.

Let me know when you're having your next block party, so I can hand out business cards to all your neighbors. :wave:

Heat is really not a big issue in the fall. You can still wear shorts and swim in the pool all the way up until around Christmas.

I wouldn't worry about his links in his signature very much. I didn't even notice them until you said something and it does not look like his website gets much traffic at all.

There is a whopping 7 items for sale on his site.

slappy magoo

I wouldn't worry about his links in his signature very much. I didn't even notice them until you said something and it does not look like his website gets much traffic at all.

Maybe that's why he's here. Think about it. He hasn't posted since June, and THAT was to promote the same site that he's now hawking in his signature. This isn't my forum, but I don't like people taking advantage of it, either. This site has people who pay to be sponsors. He's advertising for free. I'm sure there are LOTS of members with their own businesses who'd like to advertise it for free.

sbkline

Heat is really not a big issue in the fall. You can still wear shorts and swim in the pool all the way up until around Christmas.

Maybe that's why he's wanting to advertise! :ROFLOL:

Not saying that this was his intent as Magoo accused. But if it were, a lack of traffic on his site could be good reason to want to subtly advertise it here.

slappy magoo

Chill out slappy. I didnt even notice that. As for the heat comment did you even read the post. If your going during the fall it should be beautiful weather. Of course you should always wear sun screen but your not going to bake like during the summer. If you have a stroller with a visor on it and keep ur child hydrated and out of the sun you'll be okay.

How fall is fall? The heat and humidity can still be brutal leading up to mid-October or later.

RiversideBunny

Go to Walt Disney World and prepare to be amazed at what you've been missing.
Be sure to visit all 4 parks.
Stay on property in a Disney hotel.
Stay at least 5 days if you can.

Have fun.
:) :) :) :)

Teenchy

Disneyland is must for all Disney fanatics as to see where it all began...but I describe Disneyland as Charming and Walt Disney World as Incredible!

As someone said earlier, there is so much to do at WDW,(4 parks, 2 water parks, dozens and dozens of great restaurants, incredible resorts that are fun just to tour in a day especially at Christmas. We have been about 15+ times in the past 5 years and still feel like we find someting new everytime as well as doing the favorites.

Of course I'm a little biased as I just got married there in December...see link in my signature.

But if you are really HUGE DIsney fans as you say....you must go to WDW....and not just once!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom