Is it true?

Grimone24

Original Poster
In the local papers it said that Disney is planning on making a park in VA!!!!!!!!! It is based on its history such as indians and settlements. Please tell me this is a false report this would be a tragedy!

Figment1986

Originally posted by Grimone24
In the local papers it said that Disney is planning on making a park in VA!!!!!!!!! It is based on its history such as indians and settlements. Please tell me this is a false report this would be a tragedy!
when was this in the paper,

cause long ago in like 95 they anounced they WERE going to build Disney's America, a history park in VA.

dreamer

Originally posted by Grimone24

Why would it be a tragedy? Sounds good to me since I live 1/2 mile from Virginia. Maybe they'll put a DVC resort there.

However, I'm afraid this is just the last bit of lingering rumor from Disney's attempt to build a park in VA about 5 years ago.

When did you see it in the paper? Recently? What paper? Hopefully the New York Times!

DisJosh

That's a pretty old rumour. I heard it fell through. I wouldn't want a park in VA anyways. I really hope Disney never builds another park or "resort" in the US. Before ya know it they'd be all over like six flags and lacking in the "magic" department.

wed050499

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty sure the idea of Disney's America is quite a dead one. The local government along with the national government pulled support from the idea when the '96 election polls from that state said that the local communities did not want Disney there. Therefore, no Disney's America.

Brian

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
the rumor came, and Disney admitted their interest. The people of the area the park was supposed to be in voted against it though, stating they didn't want their area to become a tourist trap.

There.. it's answered.

celticdog

Now the area covered with suburban sprawl. The traffic and congestion is absolutely awful in that area. I think the area would've gained so much. It's northern Virginia's loss. And indirectly those of us within driving distance lose as well.

Testtrack321

The funny thing is this, they loved the idea. The goverment, the people, Disney, they all love Disney's America. Untill some a-hole found out that this *could*, and I mean, *could* be a possible battlefield (and I mean one of those "What?" names, the one's you don't care nor remember) for the Cival War. Then everyone bent over backwards to make sure Disney dosn't build a park there. Once Disney sold the land and such (note: they even made nicknacs for the local businesses to sell, so you can still see some souveners lying around here and there) they then developed it into a suburband area. Gee, rich housing or a park dedicated to history. Wich one deserves to be built on a possible battelfied?

wed050499

Originally posted by Testtrack321
The funny thing is this, they loved the idea. The goverment, the people, Disney, they all love Disney's America. Untill some a-hole found out that this *could*, and I mean, *could* be a possible battlefield (and I mean one of those "What?" names, the one's you don't care nor remember) for the Cival War. Then everyone bent over backwards to make sure Disney dosn't build a park there. Once Disney sold the land and such (note: they even made nicknacs for the local businesses to sell, so you can still see some souveners lying around here and there) they then developed it into a suburband area. Gee, rich housing or a park dedicated to history. Wich one deserves to be built on a possible battelfied?

Hello again,

Well, the whole battlefield thing is kind of true. As an American historian, I know that most of the Civil War took place between southern PA and Northern NC, predominately over Virginia and the site they picked might have been where a few shots were fired. However, the argument the people of Haymarket, Virginia was that Disney had bought land NEAR a battlefield, not right on it. They didn't want the 192's and 535's that we see in WDW springing up right on the actual battlefield. This was where Disney lost the support of the individual residents of the area along with the politicians in both VA and Washington, DC. Honestly, I don't really know if I can blame the homeowners for thinking this way. How would any of us really like it if we were living in a very historical localized area and Disney came in saying we're going to represent America here? I mean, I would love to have a Disney theme park in my backyard, but without all the consequences of doing so.

Just a thought,
Thanks,
Brian

Testtrack321

Originally posted by wed050499
Hello again,

Well, the whole battlefield thing is kind of true. As an American historian, I know that most of the Civil War took place between southern PA and Northern NC, predominately over Virginia and the site they picked might have been where a few shots were fired. However, the argument the people of Haymarket, Virginia was that Disney had bought land NEAR a battlefield, not right on it. They didn't want the 192's and 535's that we see in WDW springing up right on the actual battlefield. This was where Disney lost the support of the individual residents of the area along with the politicians in both VA and Washington, DC. Honestly, I don't really know if I can blame the homeowners for thinking this way. How would any of us really like it if we were living in a very historical localized area and Disney came in saying we're going to represent America here? I mean, I would love to have a Disney theme park in my backyard, but without all the consequences of doing so.

Just a thought,
Thanks,
Brian

Thanks for the clarification.

The reason why they did that was not moreso that they would fear the battelfield would be touched, but their hyperactivity towards anything Civil War (like considering calling my Middle School Jefferson Davis Middle, god, kill me now).

Just for the record, there's a difference between being happy about your past and selling tons of things with the confederate flag on them with the word's SOUTHERN PRIDE on it.

I miss Cleveland...

celticdog

In reference to Disney America. There was more to it, than just a civil war issue. Many tree-huggers fought it, stating that pollution to the Chesapeake bay would increase. This was a knee jerk reaction. Suburban sprawl is doing more damage to the bay than Disney America ever would have. The state and local governments supported it. The NIMBYs (Not In My Backyard) came out in full force and created a backlash.

wed050499 is correct, it would've been near a battlefield. Then again everything in Virginia is near a battlefield. If you listen to all the historians, every inch of Virginia has had a solder walk across it. There are enough civil war parks, it's time to start developing the remaining properties.

i know it's hard for those from northern states to understand, but southern pride is a very powerful thing. It's unfortrunate that racial connotations often get attached to it.

ACE

Originally posted by Erika
Just curious as to what it is people love about the Confederate flag :confused:

I'm from the South and I don't understand it either. My guess is that it's a heritage thing for most Southerners.

Just like Pensacola, FL is called the "City of Five Flags" because 5 different flags have flown over it throughout it's history. Pensacola has a big display with all 5 flags flying to commemorate it's history.

I personally could care less about the Confederate flag. I have too many friends who don't like what they feel it represents and I respect that.

Don't get me wrong, I respect others feelings of pride in their heritage. If someone wants to fly a flag of any kind on their own property, that's their business and I defend their right to do it.

I just think that the only flag that should be flying on public property is "Old Glory".

ACE

Attachments

• flagwave1.gif
    flagwave1.gif
    32.4 KB · Views: 150

Erika

Originally posted by celticdog
In reference to Disney America. There was more to it, than just a civil war issue. Many tree-huggers fought it, stating that pollution to the Chesapeake bay would increase. This was a knee jerk reaction. Suburban sprawl is doing more damage to the bay than Disney America ever would have. The state and local governments supported it. The NIMBYs (Not In My Backyard) came out in full force and created a backlash.

wed050499 is correct, it would've been near a battlefield. Then again everything in Virginia is near a battlefield. If you listen to all the historians, every inch of Virginia has had a solder walk across it. There are enough civil war parks, it's time to start developing the remaining properties.

i know it's hard for those from northern states to understand, but southern pride is a very powerful thing. It's unfortrunate that racial connotations often get attached to it.

It IS hard for us to understand it! For us, it's just one flag, stars and stripes, nothing else. My family was not over here at the time of the Civil War. They didn't come until afterwards- most of them in the early 1900s. Even so, none of us fly Polish or Swedish flags. We're just all Americans. I don't think I will ever get this thing between North and South that continues even 150 years after the end of the war. Maybe it's because of the fact that my family was not here at that time.

As far as the racial connotations go- I had relatives in South Carolina who told me that the Confederate Flag was not flown at that state's capital after the end of the war UNTIL the Civil Rights movement. Events like that make me very suspicious because I never know if a person is flying the flag for a good reason or a bad one. :(

Nut4Disney

I don't personally have any attachment to it, but I don't think the government should be able to do away with it. Several battles were fought here in KY. (truth be known it was only because the soldiers went out of their way to go into KY. to visit the bourbon distilleries), and Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln were both from here. I do understand what southerners mean about the flag and southern pride though. It is part of their heritage that is handed down from generations before. Although, I detest that slavery existed, the war was more of a fight for states rights than slavery. In fact, only less than 1% of the population at the time even owned slaves. I know that some people are offended by the flag, and I understand that too. It's hard to explain, and I'm probably not doing a very good job of it, so I'll let someone else try.

EthylCooper

People do sometimes use the Confederate Flag to display their hatred, and that makes it difficult for those who enjoy displaying it for its beauty and to represent their heritage. I don't personally display it (though I was born in and currently live in the south) but I feel people should be able to display it without being accused of evil intentions. It's a well-designed, attractive flag and it means so much more than the mistakes of the past. There is much in the southern tradition to be proud of.

Erika

I understand the points being made about tradition and heritage. But from a Northerner's perspective, it's an odd division. In our eyes, we have ONE country and your history is our history- and vice versa. I have never heard of Northern Pride. If it's out there, it's not very vocal. When we see the Confederate flag, or hear comments like "The South will rise again," we just shake our heads in puzzlement :lol:

That being said, it's pretty cool to live under a government that even allows you to fly that flag! :sohappy: :king: :)

Again, the top paragraph probably has a lot to do with the fact that my own family, and the families of many others up here, were not here for the Civil War.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom