Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Cesar R M

Yes, I'm sure that the demand for the first new E-ticket in more than decade at the vacation capital of the world, located in a park that only has more ride capacity than DHS because of the pathetic current state of that park, in a land that had another E-ticket planned and removed for budget reasons, took them completely by surprise. ;)
I was talking franchise wise but I agree with you.

S 2

I know. It could replace Star Tours and refresh the stunt show or replace with a high capacity ride.

I don't think you guys are considering the anthropological/archeology aspect of the Indy Jones story. If there's anywhere for a pyramid, its AK. Any movie could be featured in a ride in the studios, but not the same is true for AK...

peter11435

I don't think you guys are considering the anthropological/archeology aspect of the Indy Jones story. If there's anywhere for a pyramid, its AK. Any movie could be featured in a ride in the studios, but not the same is true for AK...
Anthropology - the study of human societies and cultures and their development

Archeology - the study of human history and prehistory through the excavation of sites and the analysis of artifacts and other physical remains.

Neither of which relate to animals.

Disneyhead'71

It is possible to not support the parks mission statement and still yet be "in theme". The African Drummers don't support the parks mission statement and yet are still "in theme" since the theme of that land is actually "Africa", not "African animals".

If you traveled to South America, how outside the realm of possibility would it be to encounter an archaeologist in the wild if you just so happen to be poking around an Aztec pyramid?

Probably better than EVER finding yourself poking around an alien planet.

TROR

It is possible to not support the parks mission statement and still yet be "in theme". The African Drummers don't support the parks mission statement and yet are still "in theme" since the theme of that land is actually "Africa", not "African animals".

If you traveled to South America, how outside the realm of possibility would it be to encounter an archaeologist in the wild if you just so happen to be poking around an Aztec pyramid?

This is the only post in this entire thread that makes sense.

peter11435

Now you're confusing theme and setting...

The drummers in Africa contribute to the areas setting which is a port in east Africa.

If I traveled to South America I could also find skyscrapers, cruise ships, and burger kings. But that doesn't mean any of them belong at animal kingdom.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Indeed.

How many of the "rides" in DAK are actually about animals? The Safari Trek and Dinosaur for sure, but, the others?

Is Triceratops Spin actually about Triceratops? Primeval Whirl actually about the extinction event? Is Everest really about animals... sure the Yeti is part of the mythical beasts of DAK, but... is the ride itself really about the Yeti and its habitat and behaviors (which would be odd to do so for a made-up creature)? Is Kali really about the animals... sure there's a story about them losing habitat... but do we get to know 'them'?

DAK does a fine job with animals with Flights of Wonder and the walk-through exhibits. But the majority of the rides really aren't about the animals. Their theming is tangential to the animals themselves.

If the ride technology of FoP was about flying along with real flocks of birds... then that would be a real ride about the animals. If NRJ was a ride through the jungles with AA and projected real-life jungle animals... then that would be a real ride about the animals. If any park could use the edutainment rides of old Epcot, it's DAK.

bclane

Some might argue that since scientists classify humans as animals, we belong in AK just as much as the next critter. But obviously not everyone agrees with this. Since I just want an EPIC Indy ride/land, I'm gonna hope it happens sooner rather than later. Honestly, I really don't care where they stick it as long as they make it fit at least as well as Pandora fits AK.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why doesn't Disney just rename this park like they keep renaming the Studios (at least we're expecting another name change)...Disney's Explorer's Kingdom or something

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Indeed.

How many of the "rides" in DAK are actually about animals? The Safari Trek and Dinosaur for sure, but, the others?

Is Triceratops Spin actually about Triceratops? Primeval Whirl actually about the extinction event? Is Everest really about animals... sure the Yeti is part of the mythical beasts of DAK, but... is the ride itself really about the Yeti and its habitat and behaviors (which would be odd to do so for a made-up creature)? Is Kali really about the animals... sure there's a story about them losing habitat... but do we get to know 'them'?

DAK does a fine job with animals with Flights of Wonder and the walk-through exhibits. But the majority of the rides really aren't about the animals. Their theming is tangential to the animals themselves.

If the ride technology of FoP was about flying along with real flocks of birds... then that would be a real ride about the animals. If NRJ was a ride through the jungles with AA and projected real-life jungle animals... then that would be a real ride about the animals. If any park could use the edutainment rides of old Epcot, it's DAK.

I mean... Literally Everest revolves around one character, and that character is an animal. A fictional animal, but keep in mind AK was supposed to have mythical animals from the start anyways. Also, FoP literally has you riding an animal.... Also... Na'vi River Journey is literally a boat ride through the habitats that different creatures live in, in the world of Pandora.

Dinorama IS themed to Dinosaur... Just in a cheap way.

Kali River Rapids? You got me there. That's like putting Monster Inc. Laugh Floor into Tomorrowland. Oh no.

FigmentJedi

Indeed.

Everest's use of the Yeti is based around a mythological role of the Yeti being a guardian creature of the Himalayas as well as how commercialized and burdensome on the environment that tourism to Mount Everest has become. Like in some ways, all those damn hairbands people keep throwing onto the broken track these days is actually reflective of some of the current litter problems on the climbing routes of Everest.

DisneyDodo

I definitely don't think there is a problem if an attraction fits the theme of the land it is in and the land fits the theme of the park, even if the attraction itself doesn't necessarily fit the theme of the park. I call it "transitive theming license" (trademark pending).

I think the best solution would be for Disney to replace Dinoland, U.S.A. with a South American-themed land, featuring an Indy overlay to DINOSAUR, amongst other attractions. The land would definitely be consistent with AK's showcasing of nature from different continents and the Indy ride would fit well in that land, due to the setting. Then they could balance it out with some sort of attraction about deforestation in the Amazon, so Disney can maintain the illusion that the park is about conservation (though much of it is not). Disney also has some other South American IPs that don't (or soon won't) have homes at WDW that they could add to the land in some capacity (e.g. Up, Emperor's New Groove, Jose Carioca).

I think this is a much better solution than creating a full Indiana Jones-themed land, which would both be out of place at AK and also have much more limited appeal

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom