Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

jt04

With Indy there is already the leap from archaeologist to paleontologist in the novels. Beyond that, it's not that difficult a leap should they want to continue the dinosaur angle. Beyond that, man vs. animals, man vs. nature, and conservation can all be extensions of the Indiana Jones story that would fit into that park.
Thanks.

Absimilliard

Can’t say I noticed that. But I’ll certainly look into it now you’ve said it.

The differences I noticed between the WDW and Paris Catastrophe Canyon:

- Different truck model and tanker shape.

- The fire effects don't run as long in Paris.

They both shared the same effects when they opened and a similar sequence.

- Tram parks.

- Rain effect with the tanker truck wipes comically activating to accentuate the effect.

- Earthquake! The tram shake, the light poles sway and the water tank on stilts shake. A pilot light (that was lighted up) swayed heavily as well.

- A power transformer starts to spark and cause the end of the tanker truck to catch fire. At the same time, the pilot light on the left side near the large oil tank cause that oil tank to explode. The tank blew open and fire came out.

- An oil pump on the right near the rock catch fire and the pipes in the center catch fire. The flames race up the pipe.

- Largest explosion is from the top oil tank when the flames reach it.

- The truck horn blows as water is released from the three tanks. Water cannons activate as well to shoot water at us and water tanks above the tram release. The truck is on a long boom that push it toward the guests, making it appear like its sliding down the hill. The flames cut off during that time.

Both WDW and Paris had all those effects when they opened. Alas, in both cases, the pilot light flame was soon cut-off and the exploding tank effect stopped working and the moving pieces stuck in the open position. The shaking water tank barely moved at WDW by the end and the wiper movement stopped. The spark effects is at both parks very unreliable.

At WDW, the exploding oil pump on the right kept burning until the tidal wave while in Paris, its one short explosion. The burning pipes race up faster in Paris. One curious programming quirk in Paris is that the set is static until they yell Action! The oil pumps don't turn when you first roll into the canyon and they turn off once the sequence ends.

Marni, I remember seeing years ago a bad youtube video of the early days of Catastophe Canyon at the Disney-MGM Studios that showed a fire effect on the actual tram bridge in the canyon. Thing is, I can't find any evidence of it now and I am wondering if it was just a trick of the camera or it existed in the early day.

Disneyland Paris uploaded a few years ago on youtube an awesome video showing the original version of their Catastrophe Canyon.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
This man is truly a visionary soul!
Oddly enough, he posted in May that he heard Zootopia was moving forward to replace Dinosaur...
One last thing… the primary driver of this project is the replacement of Dinoland itself. Dinosaur being themed to Zootopia has been thought of on this project since the beginning, sadly. (Competing against an Indiana Jones overlay, but that was decided to not be helpful enough to create more family attractions for the park, which operations is demanding from any park expansion) The Moana attraction, although more grand in scale in my opinion, was secondary. (though now with a likely larger budget, stolen from Epcot’s redo no doubt) This does not mean that one particular attraction will open first. I actually expect the entire land to close at once, with the only remaining open path being available to get to the Nemo show and the bridge to Asia. The scope and scale of this project is massive and I’m not sure it could be accomplished piecemeal as some are suggesting.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong on this one. I would have preferred an Indiana Jones land, but unless Harrison Ford does something substantial with animals in this new film and it’s deemed appropriate for all ages, then it’s over.
(emphasis added) But I guess they figured because they're adding Encanto, they've got the family side covered.

Professortango1

I think the starting point of Indiana Jones as a thematic tie to Animal Kingdom is better than the starting point for Avatar (looking purely at the plot of the movie). When you get deeper into both, they absolutely nailed the story treatment for Pandora and could certainly do the same with Indy if they so chose. Having said that, count me on team DHS for Indy.
I would disagree.

While I love Indy, Avatar has always been about respecting wildlife and living in harmony with nature, something very central to AK. Indiana Jones has been about globe-trotting to find supernatural relics to keep them out of the hands of evil men. With Indy, any animals are either a transportation or a danger to add to the adventure. They are presented as "ewww rats," "ewww bugs," "uh oh snakes!" and never about honoring them as living creatures. Which is why he lights the snakes on fire. And the rats get stepped on and burnt alive. And bugs are squished. The monkey gets poisoned. Indy doesn't care about wildlife. He cares about getting the thing and staying alive.

WaltsTreasureChest

Hello everyone, it has been quite a while, but I'm back once again. This time I'm hearing lots of rumors from multiple sources about Indiana Jones coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The most extreme of them include all of Dinoland USA being replaced with an Indiana Jones themed land. This would include the closing of Dinosaur to convert it into the Indiana Jones Adventure, an archeology-themed dig site to replace the Boneyard, and the demolition and eventual replacement of Chester and Hester's Dino-rama. (And before you ask, no, I have no idea what is happening to Finding Nemo- The Musical or the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.) This is purely rumor at this point, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard anything similar. Please comment if you know something, or if you're afraid to talk about it publicly, PM me here.
What else can you sense from the future?

EPCOT-O.G.

I would disagree.

While I love Indy, Avatar has always been about respecting wildlife and living in harmony with nature, something very central to AK. Indiana Jones has been about globe-trotting to find supernatural relics to keep them out of the hands of evil men. With Indy, any animals are either a transportation or a danger to add to the adventure. They are presented as "ewww rats," "ewww bugs," "uh oh snakes!" and never about honoring them as living creatures. Which is why he lights the snakes on fire. And the rats get stepped on and burnt alive. And bugs are squished. The monkey gets poisoned. Indy doesn't care about wildlife. He cares about getting the thing and staying alive.
Don’t you recall how verdant the Indian village looked once he returned the Sankara stones?

Phicinfan

It has clearly been all over the place internally at WDI. Until its formally announced, anything can happen, and still might.
Agreed, this is all blue sky. I will say though, and this is just my opinion, Disney heard the uproar of Zootopia as a major attraction at AK and moved to the new plan of just an attraction in tree of life.

I also think they heard folks want to see AK stay true to its design.

Then again, Disney seems to be deaf so this may just be pie in the sky for me :D

Indy on Dinosaur to me is a cost savings, as moving it to and Indy theme would probably be the cheapest they could do.

Professortango1

Don’t you recall how verdant the Indian village looked once he returned the Sankara stones?
Yes, but he was looking to help the village not the animals. That film features being grossed out by bats, by snakes, eating bugs, being grossed out by bugs and stepping on them, eating monkeys, eating eels. The only animal killed or viewed with disgust is the crocodiles, which are just there to be the spikes St the bottom of a fall.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I would disagree.

Exactly, it's a story with animals and nature, not about animals and nature.

jpinkc

I think this all depends on how ambitious they are. It would be great to see a new version of Indy that exceeds what was done in DL. I really hope it isn't just a clone.
Are we willing to make a bet on it :D, I am sure its gonna be a clone, they want to have something done before 2025.... and this is the quickest thing they can do to say LOOOK NEW RIDE!!!! The part about this that disgusts me the most is that Uni will build a whole new park in the time it will take Disney to reskin Dinosaur...

celluloid

I think this all depends on how ambitious they are. It would be great to see a new version of Indy that exceeds what was done in DL. I really hope it isn't just a clone.

Do we think Tron Exceeded what was done in Shanghai?
What about Hatbox so far is thinking exceeds placement and care in DL?
;-p

If they were truly ambitious, and not going after a clone, they would not start with retheming the same system and 95 percent layout.

doctornick

Seems unlikely to be all that much different (and sadly could easily be inferior), though I feel like we might see something more like a clone of Japan's ride rather than Anaheim. Though probably without a Crystal Skull being the McGuffin of the ride.

Or, who knows, maybe they actually will make something relatively different by incorporating dinosaurs or some other animals into the experience.

Either way, I would expect a lot of the same story beats (stuff like the "darts", the bridge, and the boulder) regardless of the ultimate theme/concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom