Is Epcot about to get some love?

cookiee_munster

As much as i love all the retro/vintage merchandise currently available, it does kind of make me worry that EPCOT is becoming more of a park more about "back then" rather than "today/tomorrow"

alphac2005

I think it can be basically summed up nowadays that Epcot has turned into a place where Disney has a nearly hundred buck cover charge to then eat at rather overpriced restaurants throughout World Showcase. Future World=The future, well, when we last updated this place 20 years ago. ;)

Did Knee

This has been said on this forum over the years ad nauseum, but I'm going to repeat it just because I'm in that kind of mood at the moment ;)

Over the last 15 years, Future world has been dumbed down, with cerebral attractions closed or in the case of "Universe of Energy" had babbling comedians added to its primeval scenes, ruining the awe inspiring feeling of being in an actual Jurassic moment.

As for world showcase, it is a mix of restaurants, stores and movie theaters...a mix found at any outside mall. That said, I still truly love EPCOT from one end to the other. I do pine for what has been lost, but still fervently hope they will at some point see the weaknesses in what they have done and find a way to once again kick it up another notch. I just wish that it would happen sooner rather than later.

ddbowdoin

With DHS all but confirmed to get a large expansion and Avatar somewhere out there in the ether, I'd say EPCOT is the odd man out. Mostly because I don't think current Disney leadership really knows how to handle the park other than adding a restaurant ever other year.

ONCE again... Avatar sucks

wiigirl

As much as i love all the retro/vintage merchandise currently available, it does kind of make me worry that EPCOT is becoming more of a park more about "back then" rather than "today/tomorrow"

I really see your point, but I am hoping it with become about both.
75.gif

The MaD Hatter

Really? Because without the Sponsorship you would not even have a park, come to think of it.

In the 80s, major sponsors were needed to build EPCOT because the Disney company was in near shambles and couldn't afford to finance the park themselves. It also fit their "world's fair" theme. Now Disney is a worldwide behemoth with record profits and they are quite capable of funding their own projects should they choose to do so. Recent examples include Expedition Everest, Toy Story Mania, and the Fantasyland expansion all being built without corporate sponsors.

janoimagine

Right on the first part, (although I wouldn't go to the extreme of saying shambles) however to your second point, even with the success of the company, they still rely on and need sponsorship for Epcot.

duff527

I agree with pretty much everything said here, and yet Epcot is probably my favorite park. Despite the lack of attractions, the atmosphere walking around the park is perfect. Background music, layout, landscaping, lighting. architecture of (most) of the buildings. The other parks have a lot of hustle and bustle - if you don't move quickly you'll get trampled. It feels like Epcot slows things down a notch in a good way (maybe its because there's no attractions for people to hurry off to!).

montyz81

I agree with pretty much everything said here, and yet Epcot is probably my favorite park. Despite the lack of attractions, the atmosphere walking around the park is perfect. Background music, layout, landscaping, lighting. architecture of (most) of the buildings. The other parks have a lot of hustle and bustle - if you don't move quickly you'll get trampled. It feels like Epcot slows things down a notch in a good way (maybe its because there's no attractions for people to hurry off to!).
You hit it dead on the money, Epcot is the only park I can go to alone and feel like time stands still for me. Even with all of it's dumbing down, it is still a park worthy of a full day.

yeti

It feels like Epcot slows things down a notch in a good way (maybe its because there's no attractions for people to hurry off to!).

Or maybe in a bad way, if you're waiting in line for Soarin'. 50+ minute waits in the off-season because yes, you're right, there really are no attractions for people to hurry off to.

In other words, I agree with what you're saying, but the stagnation in Future World is just sad. It's a shame when the headliner attraction in the best theme park ever built is a copy of something the worst theme park ever built opened with.

ToTBellHop

Or maybe in a bad way, if you're waiting in line for Soarin'. 50+ minute waits in the off-season because yes, you're right, there really are no attractions for people to hurry off to.

In other words, I agree with what you're saying, but the stagnation in Future World is just sad. It's a shame when the headliner attraction in the best theme park ever built is a copy of something the worst theme park ever built opened with.

Ever been to Walt Disney Studios Paris?

And that's a bit of a ridiculous comment. Not everything found at DCA in February of 2001 was horrible. Soarin was and is still spectacular--if only they could clean the film. Epcot's problem is that they should have built Soarin with greater capacity than DCA's version (since Epcot sees many more guests annually) and by now it really should have a new, more park-appropriate film.

cheezbat

What needs to happen to Epcot is what has happened to DHS: a drop off in attendance. Once that happens, then you'll see TDO get nervous about the park and invest money in ATTRACTIONS. Epcot has become one of my favorite WDW parks over the past few years, but there is so much about Future World that is messed up.

I think a re-imagining needs to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom