Is entitlement becoming an issue?

NowInc

Original Poster
OK, I guess. Yes, this little lady did get to do quite a lot. I'm not sure that there is anything there that happened that wouldn't have happened for you if you had asked. Regular CM's are happy to pose with families, especially cute little girls, but they will do that for anyone that asks. Her mother made her some special outfits? Have her shot. Sorry, I don't see a problem with that. Time with a character... well stand in line for a couple of hours and you will get the same ability and picture opportunity. It's just a matter of perspective. Nothing about those pictures or labels talks about 20 minutes with anyone, but, even if it did... where is the proof that it's true. So, it seems to me that the only one with entitlement issues is yourself, @NowInc . They have put in the effort and got the results. Might be something to be learned from that.

Yes. I am so very entitled. I am so deeply hurt by that.

...you should prob read the post a couple of posts before yours with a lengthy experience involving this very situation...written by a poster other than myself...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
OK, I guess. Yes, this little lady did get to do quite a lot. I'm not sure that there is anything there that happened that wouldn't have happened for you if you had asked. Regular CM's are happy to pose with families, especially cute little girls, but they will do that for anyone that asks. Her mother made her some special outfits? Have her shot. Sorry, I don't see a problem with that. Time with a character... well stand in line for a couple of hours and you will get the same ability and picture opportunity. It's just a matter of perspective. Nothing about those pictures or labels talks about 20 minutes with anyone, but, even if it did... where is the proof that it's true. So, it seems to me that the only one with entitlement issues is yourself, @NowInc . They have put in the effort and got the results. Might be something to be learned from that.
I usually agree with just about everything you post but check out what @akayw0718 shared just a few posts ago. "These people" show up with their own personal entourages. It's not about meeting princesses, it's about trying to be famous for no reason other than ego.

Daniel Johnson

I don't think SHE knows this isn't the norm for kids at Disney...But I bet the parents feel entitled.
We don't have kids, we have dogs, two pomeranians and two pomapoos. And, as a guy who only ever loved big dogs I had growing up and a very special miniature poodle my mom had...I love my pomeranians. and it's the same thing on instagram in dog culture. They get to go places others don't and get special treatment. Look at grumpy cat, she has been to Disney time and again, but you don't see my dog hamming It up there.

I doubt the little girl even knows she is special until her parents might make a fuss. Being from south georgia, it's much like honey boo boo. We were in Atlanta at 6 flags and tgey were filming. I walked right through a shot of the mom and one daughter...where was honey boo boo, she was standing in line for a ride with a "handler"...not saying this young girl is anything like honey boo boo or the parents share any resemblance...but the parents are the ones pushing...not the girls

BrianV

Sums up about what I think. My kids have had many pictures with cast members. Each and every time they made our kids feel like they were the center of attention. And I'll add that never did they once ask me "Daddy, why is someone else getting more attention?" I guess I just can't seem to muster any idignation. Maybe sometime I'll feel differently someday (though as my kids have grown, they care less and less for the character interactions.)

wdwjmp239

I don't exactly get where this post is going. So, are you saying if I follow Disney on instagram and I like every picture they post that I'll get special treatment?

<downloads instagram app and signs up for an account>

Or, the number of Twitter messages from Disney that I re-tweet to my friends and family?

<starts trending #ShowDisneySide on Twitter>

Or the number of posts to the Walt Disney World Facebook page?

<responds to every message posted>

Ok...I did all of that....did I get special treatment? Nope. All I got was a bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome from all of that tapping, clicking, and typing.

:confused:

ItlngrlBella

I'm going to share my experiences without naming names as best as possible here.

Starting with the quotes from her instagram - these are old. She now has a Youtube channel, adlinks, and over the top experiences. She was filmed for the parks blogs (warranted, her mom is so incredibly talented), but to deny that she is getting special treatment is at some point a farce. These events started as just one individual and her mother, once in a while a few toddler friends joined. That is no longer. There are between 5-7 people that are "instagram photographers" with her at all times. They do ask for extras with characters, they make big deals at parades, and they go as far as to be rude and condescending to those who have things like jobs, families, and well - aren't lifestylers. I won't pretend that I'm not becoming a lifestyler, but I would NEVER take 10+ minutes asking Ariel to pose for me while a group of anxious children on vacation wait behind me. I would never not share information regarding special opportunities with characters, unless it was something I a) didn't have a confirmation of or b) could not share. The day I knew Ariel and Eric would be meeting, I let several families I saw heading to Epcot with littles know. Why? Because that is a once in a vacation lifetime magical moment, and those families may not have stumbled on otherwise.

I have watched two specific accounts on instagram tell people that certain characters cannot be met, that events are special only for certain people, etc. This has happened with characterpalooza, International Gateway meets, and hotel meets on rainy days. It's rude. I understand not divulging information ahead of time, because this is not allowed. But CMs really aren't supposed to be sharing their entertainment schedule access with the world anyway. Those who are going to these M&G are not CMs, they are told by entertainment CMs who they have become "friends" with by visiting a ridiculous number of times and taking extra time to take professional style photos. There is even one account who is now offerring her services to follow families around and document park moments for a fee. This is not legal, and grinds my gears.

The incident I referred to earlier happened with Ariel and Eric. I had been told by a CM friend (yes, against the rules) that Eric would be meeting. I went over to wait in line, but was at the wrong gate. I was given no times, location, etc, just a this could maybe happen. When I realized my mistake and happened upon a group of instagram folks, about seven people with Lane, I politely asked if they had met Eric, and if so if he would be out again. At this time, I was able to visit twice in the year, but was far from able to pop over whenever I wanted. I was rudely told that they hadn't met him, but that it was likely he would not be out again, and I should leave. I chose to wait by the water, and sure enough ten minutes later Eric and Ariel arrived, and while others were meeting, Ariel would continue to stop and go over to Lane to twirl and hug - long after Lane's turn had passed. She also was allowed to get back in the closed line, to meet again. I'm not saying this is wrong, and I'm by far not jealous of a toddler - she is a very sweet little girl, and held my hand walking through the emporium the day before. However, it is no longer a cute girl in a homemade dress, it's a girl with her media group, and it's uncalled for.

I have no problem with magical moments happening and princesses as friends. None. I just find it disrespectful to other parkgoers, especially those who can't drop by any day they want to act as if the park belongs to you. I'm tired of seeing daily photoshoots with the trolley show cast members, when others would like a photo with them as well. I'm tired of the hub grass being occupied by the same five people sunbathing and visiting the park daily, and watching a family unable to find a spot for lunch. I'm tired of folks booking the Wave for lunch and then cancelling but keeping their reservation e-mails so they can park at the Contemporary. And most of all, I'm tired of the same groups of people feeling that the parades and shows were made for their personal viewing pleasure and hounding performers for personal backstage meet and greets. It's tacky. Those were made for friends and family of the performer and special meet and greets. Not for so and so from instagram to spend 15 minutes taking pictures of people holding up hearts and posting them as if they were best friends. Go to school, get a job, get a life.

End rant. Please feel free to flame, it's probably coming.

^^^ Well, that certainly changes things. o_O

It seems the way her fame is "managed" is now over the top - and the fact that she has a media team and "people" is a bit nuts. I had no idea it was to that extent - I seriously thought it was a mom making outfits and the mom took pictures and CM's took a couple extra minutes to take her on a little walk and such.

What you're describing is out of hand and a recipe for disaster - "a Disney Kardashian in the making" (the worst case scenario and I pray she doesn't get her own reality show).

If Disney likes the social media exposure they should set stuff up in off-hours for pics with one photog and not let Lane's posse interfere with other guests experiences - or just use her in print/TV ads. The fact that her posse is condescending towards others is terrible. (I don't get what a lifestyler is - is that someone who doesn't work there but is there all the time?). When we retire years from now I want to work there seasonally (is that a lifestyler? I am so confused). Anycrap...

All of those experiences/exchanges you outlined above with Lane's posse, hangers-on, copy cats and Instagram paparazzi accounts are disturbing. That's how stalkers happen, lines crossed, character integrity compromised, and it's adults acting like bratty teenagers.

I was following some of those accounts because of Dapper Day stuff that came up, because I love that whole style of clothing but it's all trolley folk, FoF pics and the same people doing the same poses with the same characters (and it clogs up my feed on the weekends). i feel like when I see one, I've seen them all. I stopped following after Dapper Day because of it.

@akayw0718 Thanks for posting another side, first hand account - it totally changes my view on this. I'm hoping that sweet cutie pie can just grow up gracefully and still enjoy the park like everyone else and not with an entire media team in-tow.

@NowInc - I now get where you are coming from. Something cute has gone out of hand and has spawned a wild pack of hanger-ons/mean-girl media posse (assuming girls?) with serious entitlement "Do you know who we are?!" issues.

Last edited:

Horizons1

This happens all the time. Look at Ricky at that other site. He gets special treatment all the time, and A LOT of free stuff too. These people are pulling one of the greatest scams possible. They amass a lot of followers over social media, and Disney goes out of their way to give them a "special" trip because it makes the mouse look great.

It makes me sick to be honest. I've called Ricky out on several occasions about this and each time he has put his tail between his legs and let his fanboys speak up for him.

It doesn't matter, though. It won't change. He is just one of many that DO get special privileges because they constantly praise the mouse and have many followers online.

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

^^^^thats a given. No complaints there - you get what you pay for.

It's comparing one cute little apple (IG celeb with her pack of bad apples) to oranges (your example above of "level of experience is in price").

This is an issue if something cute snowballing into a IG celeb with a pack of hanger-ons who are rude with an entitlement complex.

Last edited:

jlthomas81

^^^ Well, that certainly changes things. o_O

It seems the way her fame is "managed" is now over the top - and the fact that she has a media team and "people" is a bit nuts. I had no idea it was to that extent - I seriously thought it was a mom making outfits and the mom took pictures and CM's took a couple extra minutes to take her on a little walk and such.

What you're describing is out of hand and a recipe for disaster - "a Disney Kardashian in the making" (the worst case scenario and I pray she doesn't get her own reality show).

If Disney likes the social media exposure they should set stuff up in off-hours for pics with one photog and not let Lane's posse interfere with other guests experiences - or just use her in print/TV ads. The fact that her posse is condescending towards others is terrible. (I don't get what a lifestyler is - is that someone who doesn't work there but is there all the time?). When we retire years from now I want to work there seasonally (is that a lifestyler? I am so confused). Anycrap...

All of those experiences/exchanges you outlined above with Lane's posse, hangers-on, copy cats and Instagram paparazzi accounts are disturbing. That's how stalkers happen, lines crossed, character integrity compromised, and it's adults acting like bratty teenagers.

I was following some of those accounts because of Dapper Day stuff that came up, because I love that whole style of clothing but it's all trolley folk, FoF pics and the same people doing the same poses with the same characters (and it clogs up my feed on the weekends). i feel like when I see one, I've seen them all. I stopped following after Dapper Day because of it.

@akayw0718 Thanks for posting another side, first hand account - it totally changes my view on this. I'm hoping that sweet cutie pie can just grow up gracefully and still enjoy the park like everyone else and not with an entire media team in-tow.

@NowInc - I now get where you are coming from. Something cute has gone out of hand and has spawned a wild pack of hanger-ons/mean-girl media posse (assuming girls?) with serious entitlement "Do you know who we are?!" issues.

I agree with you Bella. I too thought it was just a mom making cute outfits. This whole "underground" lifestyler view of Disney is not one that I was aware of. I assumed that because it was someone who lived in the area and had AP's that of course there would be a lot of pics with different characters. I see now that there is more to it than that and it (somewhat) explains the OP original post. However, had he explained it like that from the beginning it would have been a bit more enlightening!

ItlngrlBella

I am still confused on the lifestyler thing. I don't know what it is. Someone will have a start a thread or post here to explain it to me.

Last edited:

mousehockey37

I agree with you Bella. I too thought it was just a mom making cute outfits. This whole "underground" lifestyler view of Disney is not one that I was aware of. I assumed that because it was someone who lived in the area and had AP's that of course there would be a lot of pics with different characters. I see now that there is more to it than that and it (somewhat) explains the OP original post. However, had he explained it like that from the beginning it would have been a bit more enlightening!

Yeah, the videos that are on that account are capturing the M&G's and it's not your typical M&G. Typical M&G's have a little bit of interaction, the characters will guide into a photo pose, snap the shots and move on. Sure, if you can catch a character at a slow time, you might be able to have a little bit longer chat, but not encounters like this. Example: DGF and I were in line to see Aladdin and Jasmine, when we got up to them, we started just chatting about things and it went from where's Abu to Aladdin's shoes. It was all fun and you could kinda see the CM's relaxing some and enjoying a little interaction with some early 30's adults.

The videos on that account show her wandering the park, riding rides and various other things with characters. The same characters that everyone else has to stand in line and wait for at a designated location/backdrop. These IG videos are just slightly shy of bordering as scenes from the actual Disney promo commercials where you see Goofy on the lawn in front of the castle hugging a kid... When in fact, he's the Great Goofini (most of the time) over in another part of the park. Heck, in a few of the videos you can see the characters coming out from backstage and they run right to each other as she was the first in line, oh and they know her name too... Always makes the other kids feel good when a character runs right by you shouting to another kid (who doesn't have a button on indicating their name, btw) and just totally blows you off.

I understand they live close, have AP's apparently and go a few times a week but it still doesn't make up for the fact that this kid due to the adults around her are giving her experiences that not only kids, but adults would love to have as well... I mean, come on, who wouldn't want to ride the teacups with Alice/White Rabbit/Mad Hatter or any other ride for that matter...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
haters_gonna_hate_by_genshihebi-d36bgfk.gif

@NowInc is a respected member of these forums. you on the other hand...

I read the instagram account name as "Feral dump" at first glance.
Yep. me too, and I choose to continue to read it in that manner.

I think the OP is just mad that he's not adorable :)
Sure he is.

copcarguyp71

That, I'm ok with. What I am referring to are users with 500k+ followers on instagram/facebook getting literally 20+ minute one on one time with characters in places other guests aren't granted character access with. And its not "random", as its every time they visit. Its not just one person (tho one is way more prevalent than the others), but its becoming enough of an issue that its clearly showing guest favoritism, at least in my opinion.

In all reality how far off is this from the direction we are headed where guests will pay for levels of FP+ or differing levels of guest experiences based on the level of price you paid for your resort or ticket or being a DVC owner. Nothing proven yet mind you but my crystal ball is becoming increasingly clear that guest experience will eventually be based on amount paid (or invested). Capitalism at it's finest...get used to it would be my advice.

Dwarful

I wish I could say I am shocked.....but...nothing shocks me anymore. Too many parents are living their lives through their children or grandchildren and I honestly do wonder how these children will be in 20 - 25 years when they have to live on their own.

This mother seems to have crossed the line from 'making cute outfits' for the occasional visit...to trying to allow her daughter to live a 'fantasy' life. I would not want to be around when that bubble bursts.

I will say this is all completely new to me...I don't tweet, vine or instagram. I do have a FB account that check at least once or twice a week. (that is one way we plan our family reunion).

Not sure how it will go when 'the average' guests starts to ask for those extra Magical Moments...like riding the tea cups with Alice & The Mad Hatter...etc.,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom