Is Disneyland Paris better than the parks at WDW?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I was there about a year ago. Many rides at Disneyland Parc are better versions than what we have in DL and WDW, but I still sadly have yet to experience any HM version outside of MK. :( As examples, BTMRR, Space, and Pirates are all better versions than their US counterparts. Over at WDSP, Rat and Crush are quite enjoyable, even if Rat feels like it should be a minute or two longer. If they built Crush's Coaster at DHS, it would, IMO, have the longest lines at the park. ToT was good, and we enjoyed just about everything that we experienced, there just wasn't enough to do there. The announced construction plans should help with that immensely.

There is a compactness to the entire resort area, but it doesn't feel cramped at all. We stayed at Newport Beach and it was a 15 minute walk, at most, to both parks. Food quality and price paid was the only sore spot for us at DLP. CM friendliness was also an issue for us, but that could easily be chalked up to being used to US CM's. Oh, and smoking rules don't apply to anyone, apparently. ;)

We ventured into Paris one day, and I thought it was great, except for having to have my head on a swivel because of pickpocketers, one of which we encountered as soon as we transferred trains... forget where, but we took the RER.

I would highly recommend a visit to DLP.

Edit: Fun fact - The size of WDSP will actually be slightly larger in acreage than that of Disneyland Parc once the expansions are complete.

Raineman

I've never visited, but, based on videos I've seen, Phantom Manor looks amazing, and the backstory of it and how it ties in to the Thunder Mesa area is pretty cool. The dragon under the castle looks pretty crazy. It's too bad that Cinderella Castle in MK doesn't have an attraction in/around it-Paris has the dragon, and DL has the Sleeping Beauty diorama walkthrough.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Edit: Fun fact - The size of WDSP will actually be slightly larger in acreage than that of Disneyland Parc once the expansions are complete.

Parc Disneyland is the second largest of the magic kingdom parks, so does that mean WDSP will be larger than MK and TDL? Difficult to believe.

Last edited:

SirWillow

Or even English.

Imagine that.

That was one of the things I was so impressed with at DLP is their versatility with languages.

Tower could be English or French, chosen by the operator based on who was getting into the elevator (and you could ask for one or the other)

Stitch (their version of Turtle Talk) and some of the other frequent shows would have a show in English, then one in French, and alternate. Others the dialog would be bilingual, bouncing back and forth between English and French- and sometimes even have a bit of German thrown in.

Even Ratatouille the ride was fully bilingual- English and French at the same time, so everyone understood it.

and the CM's were amazing. I watched one loading the Casey Junior train that in the space of 9 families used 7 languages, giving directions to each family as needed.

Can you imagine if that was the US? yeah, probably not. ;)

DoleWhipDrea

When did you last go? We were so surprised at how upkeep and maintenance had improved this year we’re returning next year.

And you know how picky I can be.
@DoleWhipDrea I'm guessing that it's been more than 3 years since you were there? Since Disney has taken over full ownership the upkeep has come way up. I honestly didn't see anything that looked run down, neglected, or needing attention. They were only running one paddlewheel- the Mark Twain i believe was getting a needed overhaul. But it's nowhere near what it was like a few years ago- much improved.

It’s definitely been a while - I want to say 2013?

Please tell me the sewage stink is gone. It was bad when I went.

My favorite things from the resort were the Maleficent dragon, Frontierland and the Crush coaster.

I had done some research before our visit to know what would be unique to the park or better than Disneyland in Anaheim (my home park.) I was excited for PotC but a lot of the really cool and unique effects weren’t working...the water features around Skull Rock were drained and with the sewage stink I just couldn’t enjoy exploring the otherwise beautiful Adventureland. This is the only place on earth where I have found a restaurant get a cheeseburger wrong. Finally, the park closed at either 6 or 7 pm! It was frustrating seeing the most carefully and beautifully designed Disneyland-styled park not following through on execution through maintenance and guest experience.

That being said, if maintenance has improved as some posters here are indicating, I would love to go back and see it in its full glory. Definitely to check out the updated Phantom Manor.

The French can be rude/prideful, and I can say that because my family are French 😂 Generally the locals will be pleased when you make an effort to speak their language and are very sweet, but there are still enough of them that will simply be annoyed with you. I think it’s worth making the effort whenever you are traveling to learn a few key phrases to get around. It’s just respectful.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It’s definitely been a while - I want to say 2013?

Please tell me the sewage stink is gone. It was bad when I went.

My favorite things from the resort were the Maleficent dragon, Frontierland and the Crush coaster.

I had done some research before our visit to know what would be unique to the park or better than Disneyland in Anaheim (my home park.) I was excited for PotC but a lot of the really cool and unique effects weren’t working...the water features around Skull Rock were drained and with the sewage stink I just couldn’t enjoy exploring the otherwise beautiful Adventureland. This is the only place on earth where I have found a restaurant get a cheeseburger wrong. Finally, the park closed at either 6 or 7 pm! It was frustrating seeing the most carefully and beautifully designed Disneyland-styled park not following through on execution through maintenance and guest experience.

That being said, if maintenance has improved as some posters here are indicating, I would love to go back and see it in its full glory. Definitely to check out the updated Phantom Manor..
I never smelt any sewage smell you’ll be glad to know! We went in 2012 and although good, it's come on leaps and bounds since then. I wrote a trip report, but you could count on two hands the show quality issues in rides in both parks, though admittedly PotC was under refurb. Main Street lights were missing maybe a dozen bulbs. The never seen before full DL hotel lighting package was working. Every AA on BTM worked fluidly. The huts chimneys were smoking. The parks were virtually spotless.

Oh, and DL was open until 11pm. Every night. For everyone. That’s when the fireworks began so you were still on Main Street at midnight if you wanted. And EMH was at 8am each morning. That’s value!

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Yes! Right up there with the original Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea as the best Disney parks in the world!

As well as being the most beautiful (besides TDS) Disney park. 😍

Jonathan Dalecki

I should have specified that I was talking about ED as a potential financial disaster for the company in its earliest days before they finally got it opened. From the point of it's success as a beautiful park, no question, since day 1 it's been amazing. It's on my bucket list to get to someday.

Walt Disney1955

Why was it so badly reviewed when it opened? I don't just mean the disaster of the original Disneyland on opening day in 1955. Because from day 2 and onwards it was well reviewed. Just day 1 was a disaster. But Disneyland Paris seemed to have gotten a lot of flack for quite a long time. Attendance wasn't the best from what I remember as well.

I am guessing that it is similar to when California Adventure opened and it got ripped apart for a long time. Yet when I went in 2012 I loved it and thought it was excellent.

There was a French couple who could not speak English but spoke French to me (I could speak it back in school) in 1991. We were waiting in line for the Skyway and they told me that they were very excited that a Disneyland was opening in France the next year. I always remember that.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
We went in 2017 and I thought it was amazing. Phantom Manor and the Thunder Mesa tie ins are some of the best imagineering work that’s ever been done in my opinion. BTMRR in the middle of the river is awesome and their version of Pirates is also great!

Disney.Mike

Cant wait to go to DLP. I've accepted a job with a defense contractor in Germany so I'll be checking DLP out (hopefully several times) in 2020

Daddyoh

Disneyland/Disney World been to both and "LOVE" the both. Disneyland is the "ORIGINAL" and well can't deny the simplicity. We did notice a BIG change in the architecture workmanship between the two Disneyland being the most more noticeable with the craftsmanship but you really have to appreciate it up close. The transition in the Land is the absence of all the parking lots like back in the early 70's and the addition of California Adventure took care of that. However, being an East Coaster there is NO comparison with WDW and the incredible size of the World. We NEVER run out of things to do. With all the new construction it can be distracting but we trust that all the walls will be coming down soon in time for our next visit.

SirWillow

Disneyland/Disney World been to both and "LOVE" the both. Disneyland is the "ORIGINAL" and well can't deny the simplicity. We did notice a BIG change in the architecture workmanship between the two Disneyland being the most more noticeable with the craftsmanship but you really have to appreciate it up close. The transition in the Land is the absence of all the parking lots like back in the early 70's and the addition of California Adventure took care of that. However, being an East Coaster there is NO comparison with WDW and the incredible size of the World. We NEVER run out of things to do. With all the new construction it can be distracting but we trust that all the walls will be coming down soon in time for our next visit.

I think you're confusing which Disneyland is being discussed. This isn't about the one in California, it's about the one in France outside of Paris and how it compares to Walt Disney World. :)

Snow Queen 83

I'd take Magic Kingdom over Disneyland Paris.

- Adventureland:

Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Aladdin's carpets > Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril (which is only 1 min and 15 secs)

- Liberty Sq/Frontierland:

Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Splash Mountain > Phantom Manor

- Fantasyland:

Seven Dwarves Mine Train, Little Mermaid, Winnie the Pooh, Barnstormer > Snow White's Scary Adventure, Pinocchio, Casey Jr, Canal Boats,

- Tomorrowland/Discoveryland:

People Mover, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Carousel of Progress, Space Mountain (Florida) > Star Tours, Space Mountain (Paris)

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

Disneyland Paris is kept in better quality and is simply more charming that the Magic Kingdom.

The Magic Kingdom feels like a theme park, while Disneyland Paris is like a decadent dessert. It’s truly a stunning example of how layered and magical a theme park can be.

While lacking in attractions (is it though? I mean come on, Walt Disney World is lacking in rides across the board), don’t forget about the fantastic walkthrough attractions of Disneyland Paris.

The shows and parades are of the highest level. The Golden Horseshoe puts on entertainment all day! And it’s so incredibly crafted! Gorgeous to look at even if the stage is barren. There is so much to see and do at Disneyland Paris, more to explore and discover than at the Magic Kingdom.

Also, as I noted in another thread, Disneyland Paris is a rare bird in that it’s made out of actual materials! Glass, stone, brick, crystal, wood... it’s not a one-tone material park like Magic Kingdom or other parks sadly built in the 70s and 80s.

Snow Queen 83

The Magic Kingdom feels like a theme park, while Disneyland Paris is like a decadent dessert. It’s truly a stunning example of how layered and magical a theme park can be.

:D:D😂

While lacking in attractions (is it though? I mean come on, Walt Disney World is lacking in rides across the board), don’t forget about the fantastic walkthrough attractions of Disneyland Paris.

Disney World has 4 parks and 2 water parks, while Disneyland Paris resort has just 2 parks
Better restaurants
Better resorts
and even a better Downtown District

So slow your role Disneyland lover

The shows and parades are of the highest level. The Golden Horseshoe puts on entertainment all day! And it’s so incredibly crafted! Gorgeous to look at even if the stage is barren. There is so much to see and do at Disneyland Paris, more to explore and discover than at the Magic Kingdom.

Magic Kingdom has more attractions and shows than Disneyland Paris does.

Also, as I noted in another thread, Disneyland Paris is a rare bird in that it’s made out of actual materials! Glass, stone, brick, crystal, wood... it’s not a one-tone material park like Magic Kingdom or other parks sadly built in the 70s and 80s.

Who cares what it is made out of? As long as it looks good and will stand the test of time, that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Calm down, this is all in good fun.

Who cares what it is made out of? As long as it looks good and will stand the test of time that's all that matters.
I think the point was that one way in which DLP is nicer is that the use of real materials does add an extra sense of the park as more of a "real" place rather than a theme park. Both parks have their plusses and minuses, but a lot of DLP is beautiful in a way that I don't think any of the MK is.

Snow Queen 83

Calm down, this is all in good fun.

I think the point was that one way in which DLP is nicer is that the use of real materials does add an extra sense of the park as more of a "real" place rather than a theme park. Both parks have their plusses and minuses, but a lot of DLP is beautiful in a way that I don't think any of the MK is.

LOL, I am calm. I just disagree with everything he said.

Both are beautiful parks, so there is no need to act like one belongs in a toilet.

Mainahman

I can see why they haven't added a water ride though, the climate of northern Europe isn't always the best for them. I'd rather use the same space for something without the drop and splash.

French people in general don't seem to like people who don't speak French, I've heard Montreal can be as bad as Paris for this.
It is... i grew up 3 hours from Montreal... we were invaded every summer by them. Beaches full of them.... they are not generally nice people sadly.

UpAllNight

I echo most analysis in this thread...the main park is absolutely gorgeous. Whilst I’ve not been in a few years so I haven’t seen the most recent upgrades in maintanance, it feels like they need some new rides to truely take things up a notch. Every major lands needs something extra at this point.

For me though there are 2 others issues. It’s much better value going to Orlando. It’s pricier, but if you’re into parks, you’re getting 6 vs 2, and a much better entertainment district. It feels like prices have risen considerably since the Americans took over. There’s also the Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Legoland, Fun Spot consideration.

For Brits (and I certainly don’t speak for all) there’s a magic in how Americans get into Disney, which just isn’t replicated in Paris at all. Disney in America feels special in a way I don’t get from Paris. It’s hard to pinpoint...fandom, atmosphere, the language barrier, the Disney culture? Going to Disney is an event in Orlando, and a special day out in Paris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom