Is Disney really that expensive?

ppete1975

Original Poster

This week I went to frontier city, the Six flags owned amusement park in Oklahoma. It has roller coasters, a log flume, a white water raft, a “dark ride shooter”. Theming is static mannequins if there is theming on a ride, the roller coasters are short. Its like six flags jr. Now I know what there strategy is for the ticket pricing. Make it expensive enough that you buy a membership or the season pass that gets you free parking and entry into all six flags and subsidiaries and water parks.
But….
IF you a one time sucker visitor.
Here are the costs. (same for all six flags) with none of their marketing discounts
One time entry
Parking
The fast pass equivalent (which is not included in season passes, daily passes, or memberships)
So 129.99 for one single park with no theming no story lines to the rides no other parks. There isn’t an epcot, animal kingdom, Hollywood studios or DCA if you get bored. There are no Restaurants, there is chicken strips, hot dogs or pizza. They do have dole whips though…

Disney with park hopper (which gets substantially cheaper the more days you stay) and yes I know the prices change depending on what day you choose.
109.00 (free fast pass)
60 for park hopper
20 (I think) for parking
So 189.99 for 4 parks that lets be honest are a bajillion times better and sit down restaurants, amazing theming and story telling. And beautiful park like theming.
Remove park hopper (if you are only there for one day, you don’t really need it and there is no equivalent at six flag style parks, and also gets much cheaper the longer you stay)
And you are at 129.00 the EXACT same price as a step up from a state fair.

I know this prob sounds like Disney propaganda.. but Disney kind of ruined this park for me (hadn’t been for 20 years, and was bored in an hour), I then compared prices and I was a bit shocked. And its not just this park... Six flags, Silver dollar City and many others are the exact same way.. no theming... no story.. they are really not competitors but one day tickets are about the same.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

This week I went to frontier city, the Six flags owned amusement park in Oklahoma. It has roller coasters, a log flume, a white water raft, a “dark ride shooter”. Theming is static mannequins if there is theming on a ride, the roller coasters are short. Its like six flags jr. Now I know what there strategy is for the ticket pricing. Make it expensive enough that you buy a membership or the season pass that gets you free parking and entry into all six flags and subsidiaries and water parks.
But….
Here are the costs. (same for all six flags) with none of their marketing discounts
One time entry
Parking
The fast pass equivalent (which is not included in season passes, daily passes, or memberships)
So 129.99 for one single park with no theming no story lines to the rides no other parks. There isn’t an epcot, animal kingdom, Hollywood studios or DCA if you get bored. There are no Restaurants, there is chicken strips, hot dogs or pizza. They do have dole whips though…

Disney with park hopper (which gets substantially cheaper the more days you stay) and yes I know the prices change depending on what day you choose.
109.00 (free fast pass)
60 for park hopper
20 (I think) for parking
So 189.99 for 4 parks that lets be honest are a bajillion times better and sit down restaurants, amazing theming and story telling. And beautiful park like theming.
Remove park hopper (if you are only there for one day, you don’t really need it and there is no equivalent at six flag style parks, and also gets much cheaper the longer you stay)

I know this prob sounds like Disney propaganda.. but Disney kind of ruined this park for me (hadn’t been for 20 years, and was bored in an hour), I then compared prices and I was a bit shocked. And its not just this park... Six flags, Silver dollar City and many others are the exact same way.. no theming... no story.. they are really not competitors but one day tickets are about the same.

I agree 😎

bUU

There is a cabal of posters for whom a personal appraisal casting Disney in any kind of positive light must be attacked firing on all cylinders, but of course hundreds of thousands of guests make such a determination every year, so if you come to that kind of conclusion yourself, rest assured that your perspective is far more reflective of the typical Disney guest.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

There are a multitude of threads comparing Disneys costs, value and vacation-ability to other vacation spots and events. Many posters have their pros & cons arguing their points. I agree Disney still has enough value for my dollar and I will continue to visit. After going to Disney years ago and experiencing the Disney parks, they ruined not only attractions from my area amusement parks but all fireworks, parades and shows. I cant help but compare the differences and it strengthens my desire to head back to WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are a multitude of threads comparing Disneys costs, value and vacation-ability to other vacation spots and events. Many posters have their pros & cons arguing their points. I agree Disney still has enough value for my dollar and I will continue to visit. After going to Disney years ago and experiencing the Disney parks, they ruined not only attractions from my area amusement parks but all fireworks, parades and shows. I cant help but compare the differences and it strengthens my desire to head back to WDW.
There’s a sentence or two in the end there that seems to contradict?

I think I see your point...and do respect your opinion even if I don’t completely agree.

I think 🤔

ppete1975

Original Poster
Totally ruins fireworks. I remember everyone freaking out about fireworks at fourth of july when I was a kid, yet id seen fireworks and laser shows in the 80s at Disney world and epcot that still put those to shame.. and that's not even the amazing stuff they do now.

ppete1975

Original Poster
There is a cabal of posters for whom a personal appraisal casting Disney in any kind of positive light must be attacked firing on all cylinders, but of course hundreds of thousands of guests make such a determination every year, so if you come to that kind of conclusion yourself, rest assured that your perspective is far more reflective of the typical Disney guest.
I was actually surprised, Ive been one of the people that felt that Disney has been finding every nickel and dime way of increasing costs (some of the dessert parties and other things are still a cash grab), but when I went this weekend to a regular park and saw the costs I was shocked.
Different business models of course but made me rethink things, and I figured it would open up a good debate :)

eliza61nyc

I really think it's a factor on how you look at vacation dollars and also your style of traveling.

IMO vacations are expensive period. Now I'm not a budget traveler, I'm not staying at motels and I'm not cooking a meal ever on vacation so that brings cost with those choices.

Is Disney expensive? Yes. Is Disney out of line with other vacation venues? absolutely not. I don't like amusement parks so I can't compare them to say great adventures. I have been to universal but still prefer Disney and I did not think Universal was all that cheap either.

I think also how you compare things weighs heavily in how you feel about the price. One thing folks do here that I don't is constantly compare cost to what Disney use to do. I don't. I could care less if 15 years ago Disney did not charge for parking. that is useless information for me. I compare it to the places I go now and 98% of the vacation destinations I travel to charge you for parking so I don't think that is an outrageous charge where as others do.
It's very very subjective.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

But….
One time entry
Parking

109.00 (free fast pass)
60 for park hopper
20 (I think) for parking

What does the paid FP give you vs the free FP that's included at WDW? Are you forced to select from tiers, are you limited to three selections to start, or can you FP whatever you want?

That can actually make a huge value difference.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is also a “cabal” of posters who can’t accept any criticism.

zurj

I appreciate your points here, and for a one day vacation at the Magic Kingdom, you are exactly right.

For any longer stay it is really that expensive. From my perspective, a lot of it is the nickel and diming at the resorts (ie.pay for overnight parking) which are already drastically over priced in my opinion. Add on the idea that I am comparing Disney now to Disney 6 years ago, and Disney 6 years ago felt like I was getting a good deal. Disney today feels like I'm getting a raw deal. Disney has cut park hours, so for the same day at the park, I'm paying more money for shorter hours, with less entertainment options. Remember the parades at all the parks? Now there's just the daily parade at one park, and no night parade!

Disneyfreak Jen

Add in the price of the hotel, food, and travel expenses (airfare, gas, etc) and it does turn out get quite expensive.

If someone is only paying for park tickets without accommodations, they’re most likely local with an AP.

With 4 parks and lots off attractions and things to see people naturally want to experience as much as they can, which turns into multiple days of hotel, food, etc.

AndyS2992

Is Disney World expensive? Let’s see..
Passengers: 4 (Me, my imaginary wife and imaginary two kids, 10 and 8)
When: 7 nights in August (4x 14 day hopper tickets for the price of 7 with quick service meal plan and return flights)
Where: Port Orleans because this was the cheapest, some how.

Booked with Disney themselves, that’s £8733.84 or $10,613 for a 7 day vacation. Is that expensive? Hell yeah. Though if you book way in advance, stay off site, use some budgetish indirect airline, no dining plan, you can probably shave £3000 off that if you plan meticulously but as a basic snapshot with no shopping around then yeah, I would not pay that.

JIMINYCR

There’s a sentence or two in the end there that seems to contradict?

I think I see your point...and do respect your opinion even if I don’t completely agree.

I think 🤔
Thought I was clear and wasnt contradicting anywhere. Disney was far better in delivering spectacular fireworks, entertaining parades and quality shows. After experiencing Disney I never again enjoyed the local parks and the things they produce. Theres one 45 min. another 2 hrs and a third 3 hrs from me which I compare to Disney.... Disney wins.

JIMINYCR

Totally ruins fireworks. I remember everyone freaking out about fireworks at fourth of july when I was a kid, yet id seen fireworks and laser shows in the 80s at Disney world and epcot that still put those to shame.. and that's not even the amazing stuff they do now.
Yesss. Disneys fireworks.... WOW!!!! My city fireworks display...wow. I dont even bother going to them anymore. I sit home and watch the WDW fireworks online.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thought I was clear and wasnt contradicting anywhere. Disney was far better in delivering spectacular fireworks, entertaining parades and quality shows. After experiencing Disney I never again enjoyed the local parks and the things they produce. Theres one 45 min. another 2 hrs and a third 3 hrs from me which I compare to Disney.... Disney wins.
Ok...I didn’t see the “local parks” part of it. That’s why it didn’t make sense to me. I may have hit my head, though 🤯

But as far as that goes...Disney’s parades and fireworks - which I believe they use as a buffer and distraction now to hide that they don’t invest in tangible attractions that really built their reputation - are no where near the quality they once wear.

They have better tech...but no imagination as they just repackage IP over and over again.

I get it: beauty and beast, Aladdin, little mermaid, frozen...

Lather, rinse, repeat

erasure fan1

Disney with park hopper (which gets substantially cheaper the more days you stay)
True, but 6 flags is off the charts cheaper if you go more than 1 day. My family can go to any 6 flags, 2 different water parks, go to their holiday events, bring a friend free on select days plus food and merch discounts. All for the grand ol price of $84 each for my family of 4. Thats a far cry from the over 4 grand anual passes at Disney would be. So numbers can be used to argue any side you want. Long story short, is Disney expensive? Very much so.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Compared to other vacations, Disney is still a great value. We spend roughly the same, and often much more, for other vacations and don't get even half the enjoyment out of them.

I'm sure this isn't the case for everybody, but for us Disney has yet to be beaten.
Ok...
Which similar trips get you “half the enjoyment for the roughly the same”?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Add in the price of the hotel, food, and travel expenses (airfare, gas, etc) and it does turn out get quite expensive.

If someone is only paying for park tickets without accommodations, they’re most likely local with an AP.

With 4 parks and lots off attractions and things to see people naturally want to experience as much as they can, which turns into multiple days of hotel, food, etc.
This...is what always blows a whole in the argument defending Disney’s pricing. It happens on every one of these threads and it’s not Gonna change.

It is expensive because of the duration and high price of every component. And it’s a package deal.

Sure you can pay $300 a seat for Taylor Swift...or $650 for Hamilton.

But combine that with $400 a person for a flight, $600 for a room at the poly, $100 a day of tickets just to exist, $95 a head for the Halloween party, $30 stuffed animal breakfasts, hyper retail for every other morsel you eat, shopping for stuff daily...
And multiply most of that by 7 days.

It’s pricey...the prices have risen dramatically of late. Game over.

Decide if it’s worth it to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom