Is Disney minus magic still Disney?

Is the magic still there?

• Yes, as good as ever

• Yes, but it has been seriously damaged

• No, but it can be restored

• No, it’s gone

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smiley/OCD

I haven’t been back since February 2020, and by all accounts, many things have changed for the worse since then. That said, the “Magic has gone” rhetoric predates the pandemic by years, and part of me wonders if a good portion of it is driven by a collective culture of pessimism/declinism that posters here have cultivated. I came to this site (without joining at first) in 2017 after an amazing WDW trip that I wanted to relive by reading others’ posts. Expecting to find generally happy fans, I was somewhat surprised to encounter a great deal of negativity and doomsaying. I am not saying there aren’t things to complain about, but some of the criticisms do at times feel knee-jerk and sweeping. The effect of so much negativity is pretty powerful: even I, as a self-professed Pixie Duster, have found myself feeling less well disposed towards Disney simply because of all the things I have read here rather than because of anything I have personally experienced.
The trepidation you feel is what happens when you let other people think for you…examples: music, movies, TV shows, restaurants, etc.
You MUST take everyone’s opinion with a grain of salt out of Tiana’s mine…
I worked on air in radio…if I told you some of my favorite songs, many heads would explode, lol. Same thing with movies.
Anyone can be a keyboard warrior on their phone or computer. If people pan things, that gives me more incentive to experience it myself. I’ve said it many times, we have been to Disney 3 times in the last 2 years for a week at a time. We NEVER have seen one of these famous or infamous overflowing trash cans that many talk about…did it happen? Probably, but I haven’t seen it yet. The parks, FOR THE MOST PART have been clean (except for the SM story I talked about earlier). Many have talked on here about seeing those cans…funny, no time stamped pictures…hmmm
If you want to go, don’t let this board persuade you NOT to go. We had a blast every time we went…because when it’s all said and done, I’d rather spend a week there than a week in the real world…I do that the other 51 weeks.

LittleBuford

The trepidation you feel is what happens when you let other people think for you…examples: music, movies, TV shows, restaurants, etc.
I worked on air in radio…if I told you some of my favorite songs, many heads would explode, lol. Same thing with movies.
Anyone can be a keyboard warrior on their phone or computer. If people pan things, that gives me more incentive to experience it myself. I’ve said it many times, we have been to Disney 3 times in the last 2 years for a week at a time. We NEVER have seen one of these famous or infamous overflowing trash cans that many talk about…did it happen? Probably, but I haven’t seen it yet. The parks, FOR THE MOST PART have been clean (except for the SM story I talked about earlier). Many have talked on here about seeing those cans…funny, no time stamped pictures…hmmm
If you want to go, don’t let this board persuade you NOT to go. We had a blast every time we went…because when it’s all said and done, I’d rather spend a week there than a week in the real world…I do that the other 51 weeks.
Excellent advice! And don’t worry, nothing said on this board will stop me returning when I feel ready to be among WDW-level crowds again. I’ve no doubt the magic will still be there for me.

TQQQ

It's not whether you want to spend a week in Disney vs. the real world, everyone would want to do that.

It's whether you'd rather spend less money, for a better room, with more amenities in Turks and Caicos (or the bahamas, aruba, dominican, etc) vs. going to WDW.............

TQQQ

Excellent advice! And don’t worry, nothing said on this board will stop me returning when I feel ready to be among WDW-level crowds again. I’ve no doubt the magic will still be there for me.
I'm not saying don't go, i'm saying I'd be careful. I would temper your expectations because no matter what that poster says, it has changed a GREAT DEAL in the last 2 years. And the changes are not superficial, they are real

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
It's not whether you want to spend a week in Disney vs. the real world, everyone would want to do that.

It's whether you'd rather spend less money, for a better room, with more amenities in Turks and Caicos (or the bahamas, aruba, dominican, etc) vs. going to WDW.............
you are comparing 2 totally different types of vacations... who cares how "cheap" something is if its not what the family wants to do with their vacation time... I know people who wouldnt spend 4-5 days all expense paid at the nicest hotel in disney bc its not what they like and would rather sit on a beach and basically do nothing for a week at any cost.... Im sure im not alone

TQQQ

you are comparing 2 totally different types of vacations... who cares how "cheap" something is if its not what the family wants to do with their vacation time... I know people who wouldnt spend 4-5 days all expense paid at the nicest hotel in disney bc its not what they like and would rather sit on a beach and basically do nothing for a week at any cost.... Im sure im not alone
I know......But my point is the cutbacks have made people start to look at other options because Disney has taken away so much while increasing prices.

Disney cant be compared to anything really, not even Universal

But when people realize they are spending $10,000+ and getting so much less, they are not looking at other options

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I know......But my point is the cutbacks have made people start to look at other options because Disney has taken away so much while increasing prices.

Disney cant be compared to anything really, not even Universal

But when people realize they are spending $10,000+ and getting so much less, they are not looking at other options
I know im in the minority here and i agree 100% with the cutbacks and issues the company is 100% having but when it comes to pricing if you stay long enough to get your average daily ticket price and choose value resorts. Disney is not as expensive as everyone says it is. Ive stated this plenty of times. My per day price for me and my daughter were cheapest yet again compared to everywhere else ive gone this year yet again. So i ask. How expensive is Disney really?!?

TQQQ

I know im in the minority here and i agree 100% with the cutbacks and issues the company is 100% having but when it comes to pricing if you stay long enough to get your average daily ticket price and choose value resorts. Disney is not as expensive as everyone says it is. Ive stated this plenty of times. My per day price for me and my daughter were cheapest yet again compared to everywhere else ive gone this year yet again. So i ask. How expensive is Disney really?!?
Very

TQQQ

March 11-18th for my family of 5 with park tickets (including park hopper) at the cheapest hotel there, All Star Movies (which is a glorified motel 6) is $7,123.15

The Marriott Aruba for the same week and is way nicer and is $3,688.12

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
March 11-18th for my family of 5 with park tickets (including park hopper) at the cheapest hotel there, All Star Movies (which is a glorified motel 6) is $7,123.15

The Marriott Aruba for the same week and is way nicer and is $3,688.12
Again you are comparing 2 different types of trips!

here are my trips this year.....
OC, MD beach,boardwalk,water park, rides 865 per day
GWL 725 per day water park some outdoor activities
Kalahari 700 per day same
Wildwood 825 per day same as OC
Hershey Park 675 per day (have discounted AP still from Covid or this be higher)
Rocking Horse ranch 1150 per day (holiday weekend)
Disney portion just now cost me 680 per day ( i rented a car and used points for my flight so an extra 550 or 50 per day)

these are basically per the penny prices for me and my daughter.... so again i ask how expensive is Disney?!?!

Disstevefan1

Hershey Park 675 per day (have discounted AP still from Covid or this be higher)
Disney portion just now cost me 680 per day ( i rented a car and used points for my flight so an extra 550 or 50 per day)

these are basically per the penny prices for me and my daughter.... so again i ask how expensive is Disney?!?!
Can you adopt me please 🙏.... Wait - Universal is not on the list.... Never mind ;)

TQQQ

Again, very, very, very, very, very, very expensive.....

How can you say a week for a family of 5 at $7k+ before transportation and food is not expensive?

I'm looking at $3k in airfare and another $2k in food so a week at the cheapest Disney hotel..........then add another $900 for Genie+/ILL selections and the cost of my trip for my family of 5 $13,000+

you think thats not expensive? YOU ARE OFF YOUR ROCKER!!!!!!!!

I dont care what you pay per day.....actual, real money out of my pocket is over $13,000 for a week at the cheapest motel on property...........that's a rip off, and that's not debatable

You might be the only person in the WORLD that says Disney isn't expensive, and that's going on a dime budget staying at the cheapest low budget crappy hotel they have........

Imagine if I wanted to stay in a deluxe with 2 Br's, do some dessert parties, go to Hoop Dee Do, buy merchandise, go to a water park on an off day, eat at the better restaurants, etc.? It would be north of $25,000

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

What is your definition of that Disney magic? Or what has ruined it?

If someone asked me why the magic is gone, I would tell them a couple of things:

1. The creativity in new attractions. Even the IP ones, there was heart and soul poured into them. The story was prioritized over the namesake program. Now they shoehorn IP everywhere regardless of sense.. they are banking on your understanding of the IP first before you get to enjoy the ride to it's full extent.. and the last major (or generally) non-IP attraction was Expedition Everest in 2006.

2. The price gouging. Instead of expanding to meet demand, they are increasing prices and diminishing goodwill by removing what used to be part of admission (magic express, fastpass).

3. The kindness, happiness, and random encounters with CMs & people at Disneyland aren't what they used to be. A lot of CM's and visitors are understandably miserable.

4. The maintenance. Broken effects hardly stayed broken, but now they do.

I wont mention other things like reservations and Genie+, but it should be implied that they've helped make the guest experience worse.
I would say all these things, except number three. Additionally, for me personally, I would also add a significant drop in interest in going in general. That’s number one for me, and I feel that even if numbers one, two, and four weren’t happening, I still wouldn’t be going as much.

Perspective and personal experiences are important to consider. I’m privileged because I’ve not only always lived within a 45-minute drive to a Disney resort, Disneyland specifically, but all of my visits as a child, and there were many, were free because my uncle was head of Walt Disney Studios security (he’s retired now, but can still sign us in) and he would sign us in. If there was a bigger party of us going, for example, if we invited our friends, my uncle would get some of his work buddies to come to the parks so we could all get free entrance. Disneyland was never a vacation for us and my mom only had to save enough money for food and souvenirs for me and my siblings. I’ve also gotten the chance to experience a lot of things that average Disney fans don’t, simply because of my uncle and living in Southern California. I’ve been to a number of exclusive screenings and events put on by Disney and I’ve met many famous people within the company over the years that I wouldn’t have been able to do with my uncle’s access. I have memories of being a kid and hanging out at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank for no particular reason and having lunch with some of the people that worked there at the cafeteria on campus. I had a unique Disney childhood, for the most part.

Outside of the exclusive things, whenever a new Disney movie came out, my mom would take us to see it at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood because there was always some sort of show or extra offering that came with the movie (afternoon tea with the Disney princesses and Minnie Mouse was the offering for Princess Diaries, for example). I was a D23 member during its first few years and went to a lot of those special events here in Southern California. I was an AP for some years and was a CM. When I was a USC student, I got the chance to hear Joe Rohde speak on campus a few years ago. I’ve said this before, but Southern California has felt more like a Disney World to me, as a Walt Disney fan, which contributes to the reasons why a WDW vacation doesn’t interest me. No Disney Resort does.

To wrap this post up, I’ve had my fill of Disney. I’ve gotten to see and do a lot Disney things throughout my 30 years of life, and I reached the point where I’ve had enough, moved on, and now prioritize other things, particularly travel. I had always wanted to travel the world, but my parents weren’t interested, and they couldn’t afford it even if they were. I told myself that when I graduated from college, I would leave the country for the first time, and that’s what I did in 2017 (I went to Ireland and Northern Ireland). I’ve been to five other states and six other countries since then, with no plans to stop. I let my AP lapse in 2019 and I don’t miss it. I like to keep up with what’s happening because I haven’t 100% cut off all my visits and because I enjoy it. I go maybe once or twice a year now, sometimes every other year, which I’m happy about.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Again, very, very, very expensive.....

How can you say a week for a family of 5 at $7k+ before transportation and food is not expensive?

I'm looking at $3k in airfare and another $2k in food so a week at the cheapest Disney hotel..........then add another $900 for Genie+/ILL selections and the cost of my trip for my family of 5 $13,000+

you think thats not expensive? YOU ARE OFF YOUR ROCKER!!!!!!!!

I dont care what you pay per day.....actual, real money out of my pocket is over $13,000 for a week at the cheapest motel on property...........that's a rip off, and that's not debatable
Again i gave you my prices for what i feel are comparable vacations… im not saying its cheap but to me its not overly expensive either especially when you compare to other places and in these cases it is cheaper… and to use your logic i wish i had the exact numbers but i priced out the Atlantis and SLS in the Bahamas for the same time i just went ti Disney and they were both going to cost more money than what Disney cost me…

Personally i dgaf but appreciate the off your rocker comment lucky for you i have thick skin and not easily offended. Others may have reported you for abuse of forum members ;)

Seriously tho. Again I think you are missing my point. Im not saying Disney is cheap im just saying its far from some insanely overpriced vacation peoplemake it out to be… we can cherry pick places that arecheaper we can cherry pick places that are more expensive all day long. I gave you hard facts and actual numbers or trips that to me are in line with Disney (imo nothing is but in the same category) and they were cheaper. If i can go away on vacation and all in for everything my trip cost under 700 a day in this in age excluding maybe an all inclusive resort. Some are more some are less to me thats a fair price and i could have easily saved myself even more money by avoiding character and sit down meals for every breakfast and dinner and i over tip which adds to my expense. I spent a decent amount on souvenirs as well which definitely wasnt needed but as a separated Dad and being on vacation we tend to not care as much not that my daughter is i want i want i want bc she isnt but you get my point. Im just saying if you are willing to stay value i never say the disgust for them tbh you can easily make the trip respectably priced. Even moderates or DVC

TQQQ

Again i gave you my prices for what i feel are comparable vacations… im not saying its cheap but to me its not overly expensive either especially when you compare to other places and in these cases it is cheaper… and to use your logic i wish i had the exact numbers but i priced out the Atlantis and SLS in the Bahamas for the same time i just went ti Disney and they were both going to cost more money than what Disney cost me…

Personally i dgaf but appreciate the off your rocker comment lucky for you i have thick skin and not easily offended. Others may have reported you for abuse of forum members ;)

Seriously tho. Again I think you are missing my point. Im not saying Disney is cheap im just saying its far from some insanely overpriced vacation peoplemake it out to be… we can cherry pick places that arecheaper we can cherry pick places that are more expensive all day long. I gave you hard facts and actual numbers or trips that to me are in line with Disney (imo nothing is but in the same category) and they were cheaper. If i can go away on vacation and all in for everything my trip cost under 700 a day in this in age excluding maybe an all inclusive resort. Some are more some are less to me thats a fair price and i could have easily saved myself even more money by avoiding character and sit down meals for every breakfast and dinner and i over tip which adds to my expense. I spent a decent amount on souvenirs as well which definitely wasnt needed but as a separated Dad and being on vacation we tend to not care as much not that my daughter is i want i want i want bc she isnt but you get my point. Im just saying if you are willing to stay value i never say the disgust for them tbh you can easily make the trip respectably priced. Even moderates or DVC
Well lets agree to disagree...........Disney is so overpriced, not cheap, expensive compared to anything else, while getting less..........To compare a week at All Star Movies for my family of 5 to a comparable hotel ANYWHERE else (not cherry picking, just name any other place in the eastern hemisphere) , it would be an even larger disparity.

In my Aruba example, a comparable hotel would be the Holiday Inn (and i think thats even nicer than All Stars, theres just nothing else as bad as All Stars there) and that is $1,356.88 for the week vs the $7,000+ for All Stars

So yeah, to answer your question again, Disney is very, very, very, very, very expensive compared to anything else..............No matter how many ways you try to rephrase it............

And off your rocker is not offensive, its a commonly used term for people that are clueless and misguided

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Well lets agree to disagree...........Disney is so overpriced, not cheap, expensive compared to anything else, while getting less..........To compare a week at All Star Movies for my family of 5 to a comparable hotel ANYWHERE else (not cherry picking, just name any other place in the eastern hemisphere) , it would be an even larger disparity.

In my Aruba example, a comparable hotel would be the Holiday Inn (and i think thats even nicer than All Stars, theres just nothing else as bad as All Stars there) and that is $1,356.88 for the week vs the $7,000+ for All Stars

So yeah, to answer your question again, Disney is very, very, very, very, very expensive compared to anything else..............No matter how many ways you try to rephrase it............

And off your rocker is not offensive, its a commonly used term for people that are clueless and misguided
so now im clueless thanks lol appreciate it... so yea we can agree to disagree but im not rephrasing anything im giving you what i spent and where i spent it so i guess those are even more expensive and a ripoff... ill add another my ex took my daughter to the DR cost them over 4k for basically 5.5 days.... I truly dk what you expect to spend on a vacation but seems like you should head to the beach and stay at the Holiday inn and spend 1400 for your trip and go 5 times. Not that im saying you are lying but 5 paying people hotel and airfare for a week im assuming 7 days / 6 nights with food included seems like an almost impossible price but hey who am i to question you....

Disstevefan1

My daughter is 8 we debated on going for a day or 2 this summer probably will wait til next year or just when EU opens and make a nice trip out of it ....
Ah, I see that's why. I will say 8 is marginally too young and also height is a factor at Universal/IOA, but if a Harry Potter fan its worth a day or two while you are in town for WDW.

I agree, wait for Epic Universe.

Epic so far is looking .... Well, ..... Epic :)

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Ah, I see that's why. I will say 8 is marginally too young and also height is a factor at Universal/IOA, but if a Harry Potter fan its worth a day or two while you are in town for WDW.

I agree, wait for Epic Universe.

Epic so far is looking .... Well, ..... Epic :)
Honestly we were planning on a day at Uni and a day at SW but we were having such a good time she didnt want to go for reasons like you said… and yea will definitely be there once it opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom