Is Disney Losing DVC Members/Contracts due to Covid??

nickys

Premium Member
Thank God we sold our DVC contracts especially since rationing is now in effect and Disney will love that so in the future the DVC will be just another regular old Timeshare where you have your week and that's it (if you have two weeks of points you wont be able to use them for the same vacation). For folks with points that are beyond one week, 5 days or less at a time the cost now will close to double to be able to enjoy those points.
Example we HAD 600 Boardwalk points that we used each year for a 16 to 18 night stay and we drive down from Maine and the travel cost was around $1,600 (my daughter has medical issues) plus $3,400 in annual dues ( at 18 nights our cost was $277 per night). Under the new rules we would have to take 3 trips to the Boardwalk each year so the cost would be $8,200 plus food (we no longer enjoy the parks and entry is too difficult for my daughter due to her medical issues) so the cost would be $455 per night).
Concerning Disney buying the contract under first refusal don't believe this could happen. They would prefer to foreclose and keep charging interest on any unpaid dues but wait it costs them money to foreclose so they will find a way to take more money from you. Disney and the DVC are controlled now by greed and if they can manipulate us to be fearful and accept a tiny piece of what was Disney and collect more money they will under the guise of "keeping us safe" they will.
What new rules are you talking about?

You’re making up nonsense in this post. There is no “rationing”, you are free to use all your points at once. You can stay for 30 nights at a single resort, if you have enough points, and are then able to move and stay another 30 elsewhere. They have limited borrowing, as they have always been able to do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What new rules are you talking about?

You’re making up nonsense in this post. There is no “rationing”, you are free to use all your points at once. You can stay for 30 nights at a single resort, if you have enough points, and are then able to move and stay another 30 elsewhere. They have limited borrowing, as they have always been able to do.
He goes overboard...but the current policy is you can borrow 50% of the next years use points.

Not a huge restriction for many but still not favorable. If you do large scale, infrequent trips...it does alter the deal.

Me? I’m booked and won’t be allowed to return normally if I tried it...and they aren’t selling tickets...so that doesn’t work either really

nickys

Premium Member
He goes overboard...but the current policy is you can borrow 50% of the next years use points.

Not a huge restriction for many but still not favorable. If you do large scale, infrequent trips...it does alter the deal.

Me? I’m booked and won’t be allowed to return normally if I tried it...and they aren’t selling tickets...so that doesn’t work either really
What do you mean you won’t be allowed to return normally? And you can buy tickets, just not APs.

Club Cooloholic

True, if you didn't buy an annual pass earlier in the year and you had to burn 600 points you are out of luck and have to buy several 7 day passes.

nickys

Premium Member
True, if you didn't buy an annual pass earlier in the year and you had to burn 600 points you are out of luck and have to buy several 7 day passes.
Now see, that makes sense. Although someone with that many points would usually have an AP since they’re likely to go for more than 10 days a year. And if you already had one you can renew it.

What @Sirwalterraleigh said didn’t really make sense to me. I still don’t know what he means by not being allowed to return. 🤷‍♀️

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What do you mean you won’t be allowed to return normally? And you can buy tickets, just not APs.
Why on earth would I want to buy non-aps? I’ve made my commitment to Disney when I agreed to pay maintenance dues.

I don’t need a lecture in legalese...I understand products change. But there is no representative product or even acknowledgment that the product has a future at this point...that bugs me more than their diminished options. Say something...even if it’s “Ive got nothing to say”

Florida is a continued management disaster...as it stands going there will almost certianly require a two quarantine that negates the point of going upon return - as we have a public employee and two school kids in the house that have to attest by state rules that they have traveled to a hotzone or face consequences.

nickys

Premium Member
Why on earth would I want to buy non-aps? I’ve made my commitment to Disney when I agreed to pay maintenance dues.

I don’t need a lecture in legalese...I understand products change. But there is no representative product or even acknowledgment that the product has a future at this point...that bugs me more than their diminished options. Say something...even if it’s “Ive got nothing to say”

Florida is a continued management disaster...as it stands going there will almost certianly require a two quarantine that negates the point of going upon return - as we have a public employee and two school kids in the house that have to attest by state rules that they have traveled to a hotzone or face consequences.
None of which has anything to do with DVC and non-existent “changing rules”.

And if you have an AP you can still renew it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now see, that makes sense. Although someone with that many points would usually have an AP since they’re likely to go for more than 10 days a year. And if you already had one you can renew it.

What @Sirwalterraleigh said didn’t really make sense to me. I still don’t know what he means by not being allowed to return. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah...I don’t have exactly the same take...but it’s close.

I guess If I cut it down: an annual timeshare and the cancellation of an annual ticket does not equate to me. And as I said...say “we’re working on it”

But no...twist in the wind. I’d bet there is a very significant number of DVC that is watching this...right, @ “El Scorpion”?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
None of which has anything to do with DVC and non-existent “changing rules”.

And if you have an AP you can still renew it.

I didn’t complain about existing rules...I was commenting on my own situation after acknowledging that the poster you questioned COULD be affect by a rule change.

If the point of the thread was whether covid is negatively impacting DVC membership?...that seems to be applicable.

I probably went too “word salady” though? Did I Waffle? 😉

Club Cooloholic

Well you could have someone who saves up and buys the APs only every other year or so.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well you could have someone who saves up and buys the APs only every other year or so.
For me...I don’t see the value in annuals since their 2017 ish price escalation...so it would be like dues to make them truly “annual”. I use my points...and cash reservation at times...accordingly.

That being said...that still is a better option than expiring day by day tickets...which is all they have sold since the end of no expiration.

The per day savings on multiday tickets isn’t close anymore either. It drops by something like $10-15 per day when in the past after 4 days it was almost a throw in. Which is how they were designed to drive higher profit spending.

Jeez...I just tried to look and I can’t even see it because they aren’t for sale on the wdw site.

In the end: they sell less. Their problem I try to always help them with...but some corporate raiders just don’t know how to take help, ya know?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For me...I don’t see the value in annuals since their 2017 ish price escalation...so it would be like dues to make them truly “annual”. I use my points...and cash reservation at times...accordingly.

That being said...that still is a better option than expiring day by day tickets...which is all they have sold since the end of no expiration.

The per day savings on multiday tickets isn’t close anymore either. It drops by something like $10-15 per day when in the past after 4 days it was almost a throw in. Which is how they were designed to drive higher profit spending.

Jeez...I just tried to look and I can’t even see it because they aren’t for sale on the wdw site.

In the end: they sell less. Their problem I try to always help them with...but some corporate raiders just don’t know how to take help, ya know?
There are no words. 🤔

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I can help...

...whatcha need? 🤪
It seems that you no longer see the value of a trip to WDW. That’s ok, as we all see value differently. Even with the restrictions (remembering that we are here this week), we are still having a great vacation. When they start selling APs again, we’ll be first in line for Gold APs. That easily covers our 2-3 trips we’ll be making next year. If things get worse, we’ll bank the points to use later.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It seems that you no longer see the value of a trip to WDW. That’s ok, as we all see value differently. Even with the restrictions (remembering that we are here this week), we are still having a great vacation. When they start selling APs again, we’ll be first in line for Gold APs. That easily covers our 2-3 trips we’ll be making next year. If things get worse, we’ll bank the points to use later.
Incorrect...I’m saying the Value has diminished so I have modified my patterns. It’s already every other year for passes (not rigid...but consistent for 5 years now) instead of yearly.

So that’s their loss...as I’m not cheap in food, drink or swag (if anyone still wants it?) when I’m there. So based on their raise of non-profit revenue items - tickets - they receive less money for potential higher profit items from me. That’s fair...I move my priorities to meet theirs. Perfect relationship.

It’s not “mother may I have another?”. Not a controversial opinion I think?

Didn’t like gold passes. Usually get platinum; titanium, adamantium, whatever.

But as you said: “pyrite” are the only tickets available right now.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Incorrect...I’m saying the Value has diminished so I have modified my patterns. It’s already every other year for passes (not rigid...but consistent for 5 years now) instead of yearly.

So that’s their loss...as I’m not cheap in food, drink or swag (if anyone still wants it?) when I’m there. So based on their raise of non-profit revenue items - tickets - they receive less money for potential higher profit items from me. That’s fair...I move my priorities to meet theirs. Perfect relationship.

It’s not “mother may I have another?”. Not a controversial opinion I think?

Didn’t like gold passes. Usually get platinum; titanium, adamantium, whatever.

But as you said: “pyrite” are the only tickets available right now.
Again, the value has diminished in your case and how you travel to WDW. Not true for us and many others.

Phonedave

Again, the value has diminished in your case and how you travel to WDW. Not true for us and many others.

Which is understandable. My patterns started changing years ago. I don't buy APs anymore, I don't buy tickets for our first and last day anymore either. Pricing structures have changed, and the value is not there.

I still find value in my DVC, we just use it a little differently.

Very likely we are going to get hosed this year thanks to COVID - we have a Dec trip to use up points that we will otherwise loose, but it looks like Florida is still going to be a "quarantine when you get back home " state for us. And while I can do so (currently working from home) my wife is a teacher - so that option is not on the table. So, I loose a bunch of points. Yeah, it stinks, but you know what? In the grand scheme of things, it could be much worse. Nobody is sick, we all have our jobs, we get our full allotment of points next year, and we will have airline credits like crazy.

2020 is not a pattern change, it is an anomaly, and needs to be worked through as such.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom