Is Disney Losing DVC Members/Contracts due to Covid??

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
That $75 one must have been really motivated to sell.
It wasn’t from one of the normal title agencies you see on DVC contracts. So I don’t think it went through one of the normal brokers, although I can’t know for sure. Another one of the cheap ones was from timeshare closing services, which is tied to one of the sketchy sites I was referring to the other day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It wasn’t from one of the normal title agencies you see on DVC contracts. So I don’t think it went through one of the normal brokers, although I can’t know for sure. Another one of the cheap ones was from timeshare closing services, which is tied to one of the sketchy sites I was referring to the other day.
So then you have to wonder if that contract was ever reviewed by Disney for ROFR, or did the buyer and seller just ignore that requirement?

nickys

Premium Member
So then you have to wonder if that contract was ever reviewed by Disney for ROFR, or did the buyer and seller just ignore that requirement?
ROFR happens when the request to transfer the name is made to Disney. You can’t by pass it, even with a gratuitous transfer (as in the case of it passing to someone on the death of an owner).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
ROFR happens when the request to transfer the name is made to Disney. You can’t by pass it, even with a gratuitous transfer (as in the case of it passing to someone on the death of an owner).
My question then is why Disney would pass up the opportunity to grab a contract that they can sell for double the money at some point when sales return to normal. It isn't like it's millions of dollars, and you would think that they wouldn't want something going for quite that low. The contracts in the $90's I can understand, but not one for $75. Or maybe they are just happy to still have an owner paying dues on that contract, so let it go anyway.

nickys

Premium Member
My question then is why Disney would pass up the opportunity to grab a contract that they can sell for double the money at some point when sales return to normal. It isn't like it's millions of dollars, and you would think that they wouldn't want something going for quite that low. The contracts in the $90's I can understand, but not one for $75. Or maybe they are just happy to still have an owner paying dues on that contract, so let it go anyway.
They haven’t been taking anything at all. Possibly those CMs are on furlough still. Or brought back to help with Member Services.

CastAStone

Premium Member
I would guess for the same reason that they've never ROFR'd single Aulani contract, ever. They don't need the extra points right now. And they'll probably be getting plenty of points dirt cheap via foreclosure auctions over the next 2 years.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They haven’t been taking anything at all. Possibly those CMs are on furlough still. Or brought back to help with Member Services.
Could very possibly be, so I guess we all need to offer ridiculously lowball offers on contacts, and see if the seller is really motivated.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I would guess for the same reason that they've never ROFR'd single Aulani contract, ever. They don't need the extra points right now. And they'll probably be getting plenty of points dirt cheap via foreclosure auctions over the next 2 years.
Well, if people can unload their contracts, then Disney won't really see too many foreclosures. Anyone who hasn't financed their purchase (which they shouldn't, but a lot do), owns it outright, and if all they want is out from paying the dues, then they'll take any lowball offer, since they are still getting money for it. If they have it financed, then they would want at least as much as they owe on it, just to break even.

nickys

Premium Member
Could very possibly be, so I guess we all need to offer ridiculously lowball offers on contacts, and see if the seller is really motivated.
I know someone who offered $15 per point than was asked, and got the contract. So that kind of differential would help explain the difference between listed asking prices and the prices recorded in the OC register.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I know someone who offered $15 per point than was asked, and got the contract. So that kind of differential would help explain the difference between listed asking prices and the prices recorded in the OC register.
Not bad, but I was more thinking that someone should offer $50/point less, and see what happens.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Boooooooooo...
1596822497033.png

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So it appears that they were not doing the ROFR simply because they had probably furloughed all the cast members that look into those. And now that they are back at work, they are starting up again. If you listen to the naysayers, no one is looking to buy direct now, so there would be no need to buyback points, as they aren't needed. Or if you use common sense, since they are offering discounts on the "sold out" properties, and people are interested in buying now, DVC needs the points to resell them.

nickys

Premium Member
So it appears that they were not doing the ROFR simply because they had probably furloughed all the cast members that look into those. And now that they are back at work, they are starting up again. If you listen to the naysayers, no one is looking to buy direct now, so there would be no need to buyback points, as they aren't needed. Or if you use common sense, since they are offering discounts on the "sold out" properties, and people are interested in buying now, DVC needs the points to resell them.
Virtually all the CMs at whichever party of DVC that deal with not only ROFR but also the processing of sales were furloughed, yes. There were no direct sales happening either, not even by the sales team working from home. There are reports of it taking over 4 weeks, even over 6 weeks to get points added to accounts for people buying resale. That whole side of DVC was pretty much shut down.

Guess the really low offers won’t get through then.

Last edited:

CastAStone

Premium Member
Virtually the CMs at whichever party of DVC that deal with not only ROFR but also the processing of sales were furloughed, yes. There were no direct sales happening either, not even by the sales team working from home. There are reports of it taking over 4 weeks, even over 6 weeks to get points added to accounts for people buying resale. That whole side of DVC was pretty much shut down.

Guess the really low offers won’t get through then.
I'm still planning to get a deal. They won't take every well priced contract, just as many as they feel they can sell. I probably won't get Beach Club at $65 but I can hope for $130, just need to be patient and repeatedly find motivated sellers until I get one through. I still think prices will fall in spite of ROFR.

The_Jobu

Here's all of the contracts filed with Orange County for AKV in July. The going price is certainly around 107-110, but there were some deals to be had.

Points Paid $/pt
160$ 12,000$ 75
190$ 17,100$ 90
160$ 14,800$ 93
240$ 23,600$ 98
225$ 22,300$ 99
160$ 15,900$ 99
160$ 15,900$ 99
160$ 16,000$ 100
160$ 16,200$ 101
100$ 10,200$ 102
220$ 22,500$ 102
160$ 16,400$ 103
160$ 16,500$ 103
320$ 33,000$ 103
220$ 22,700$ 103
100$ 10,400$ 104
330$ 34,400$ 104
160$ 16,800$ 105
200$ 21,000$ 105
160$ 16,800$ 105
160$ 16,800$ 105
250$ 26,500$ 106
242$ 26,000$ 107
160$ 17,200$ 108
160$ 17,200$ 108
50$ 5,400$ 108
200$ 21,600$ 108
100$ 10,800$ 108
100$ 10,900$ 109
100$ 10,900$ 109
110$ 12,000$ 109
210$ 23,100$ 110
100$ 11,000$ 110
160$ 17,600$ 110
100$ 11,000$ 110
120$ 13,200$ 110
240$ 26,400$ 110
100$ 11,000$ 110
155$ 17,100$ 110
220$ 24,300$ 110
160$ 17,800$ 111
125$ 14,000$ 112
100$ 11,300$ 113
100$ 11,400$ 114
160$ 18,500$ 116
75$ 9,000$ 120
50$ 6,300$ 126
25$ 3,300$ 132

So you dont pay one fee for the contract and then another for each point? Or is this to just buy add-on points for an existing contract?

Sometimes I think I got dvc all figured out and then something comes along that completely throws me.

CastAStone

Premium Member
So you dont pay one fee for the contract and then another for each point? Or is this to just buy add-on points for an existing contract?

Sometimes I think I got dvc all figured out and then something comes along that completely throws me.
These are resale contracts, not direct from Disney. Technically on resale you buy a contract for a fixed dollar amount, like $10,400, plus usually $400-$500 in closing costs and the settlement of outstanding dues, if any. But people prefer to think of DVC contracts in price per point because it’s easier to compare contracts of different sizes, so I have put a column in the chart just to show the relative value. But like that first contract, they paid $12,000 for 160 points, so $12000/160=$75 per point.

Closing costs and dues to Disney are not considered part of the purchase price; paying the seller for dues the seller already paid on points the didn’t use is.

The_Jobu

These are resale contracts, not direct from Disney. Technically on resale you buy a contract for a fixed dollar amount, like $10,400, plus usually $400-$500 in closing costs and the settlement of outstanding dues, if any. But people prefer to think of DVC contracts in price per point because it’s easier to compare contracts of different sizes, so I have put a column in the chart just to show the relative value. But like that first contract, they paid $12,000 for 160 points, so $12000/160=$75 per point.

Closing costs and dues to Disney are not considered part of the purchase price; paying the seller for dues the seller already paid on points the didn’t use is.

So a "good" deal would be around $90 per point or higher for deluxe resorts?

CastAStone

Premium Member
So a "good" deal would be around $90 per point or higher for deluxe resorts?
That would be An outrageously good deal for most of them. The prices of the resorts vary greatly, due to differences in location, popularity, relative difficulty of booking for non-owners, annual dues, and number of years remaining.

Judging a resorts “value” also depends what you’re comparing it to. Compared to renting DVC points to stay in a room the cheapest DVC contracts are for Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, which are also the only ones that typically sell in the $90s in normal times. Compared to Disney’s cash rates the cheapest contracts are usually at Boardwalk; that’s more like $110/point, but because it was the 2nd DVC to open and they didn’t really know what they were doing yet, it costs fewer points per night to stay there than almost any other resort.

https://www.dvcstore.com/prices.htm is a good resource for what people are actually paying, anything less than that is a deal. $90 for AKV is an absolute steal, and normally, one should expect Disney to exercise its right of first refusal at that price and buy that contract back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom