Is Disney dollars scheme ending?!

MarkTwain

Come to think of it, I worked WDW merchandise for several months and I don't think I received Disney dollars even once. I wonder how often guests actually ask for them.

ULPO46

Wow this is so sad. I always liked going to the parks and as soon as I walked in visit the Town Hall or Guest relations and pick up an envelope of Disney Dollars. Instead of Getting a regular withdrawal that was the way I'd keep cash when in the parks even though when you'd spend them you'd get regular currency back. I knew something was up when I visited three years ago the magic kingdom and they gave my 1999 and 2005-6 Disney dollars when the year before I had gotten the years Pirates on Stranger Tides edition. What a shame I get it might be extra cost but you'd never believe the amount of people who actually Exchange, not buy they are after all pegged to the US dollar, and use them as souvenirs, gifts, or actually spend them around the resorts. I can't believe I found out about this on the forum and I work in Parks and Resorts.

AndyS2992

I always thought Disney Dollars (and gift cards to an extent) were kinda stupid since you are stuck with cash locked up that can only be used in one place. Why not just give cash and so they can buy whatever they want, where they want, if that makes sense, plus no expirary dates.
content_homer.jpg

Last edited:

dreamfinder

I always thought Disney Dollars (and gift cards to an extent) were kinda stupid since you are stuck with cash locked up that can only be used in one place. Why not just give cash and so they can buy whatever they want, where they want, if that makes sense, plus no expirary dates.

Pretty sure that Disney Dollars and their gift cards are no expiration. But they worked as a way to help kids save for souvenirs for their trip. If you give them Disney Dollars/gift cards for chores, birthdays, whatever, they know that will only be good for their Disney trip, so they can't spend it on something silly at home and then beg for more money when they go on the trip since they spent it all at home/airport/arcade/whatever.

prberk

Just called, they are still selling them today but the person on the line thought she wasn't going to be able to sell them. You may use up to three credit cards for up to a total of $50 each ($150 total) plus $15 for the entire order so $165 total.

You have to love the $15 "shipping cost" for each order.

Because you know it costs $15 to mail out a piece of "paper" (linen or cotton actually, but still..).

prberk

content_homer.jpg

That philosophy is no different with a gift card. Usually the idea is that the giver took special effort to give them something that they know the recipient likes. It's about the thought, not the money spent. Cash can seem like you didn't take time to care about the gift.

And also, as some have stated, Disney Dollars can also be unique souvenirs or cool gifts for kids as they find out that they are going to Disney World. These are all intangible benefits that having little to do with the cash equivalent.

glvsav37

When did the "Disney Mint" start? I would be it was around the same time as when traveler's checks were popular methods of pain for vacation related things. With the rise of credit and gift cards, people carrying (and keeping track of) actual cash bills has gone down. Plus, GC's are replaceable if you ever lost them.

From a CM side, with the rise of tap to pay/magic band charging, accounting for this monopoly money is a bit of a (relative) pain.
Cool looking souvenirs, but GCs have become the easiest way to give a 'direct disney' gift.

dreamfinder

You have to love the $15 "shipping cost" for each order.

Because you know it costs $15 to mail out a piece of "paper" (linen or cotton actually, but still..).

Sounds to me more like it's line with the general merchandise shipping costs. (Just checked, it's actually half the cost) I'd hope they would send them with some sort of tracking/insurance since they are basically sending cash through the mail. Gift Cards they can put a stop on, but I don't think they can do that with Disney Dollars.

glvsav37

Sounds to me more like it's line with the general merchandise shipping costs. (Just checked, it's actually half the cost) I'd hope they would send them with some sort of tracking/insurance since they are basically sending cash through the mail. Gift Cards they can put a stop on, but I don't think they can do that with Disney Dollars.

No D$'s would be considered live legal tender as soon as they are shipped. So if I intercepted your package I could take your D$'s and go spend them as if they were my own. Not sure if Disney would send you a new set if you reported it, but thats now cash out of their pocket b/c they can't track and deny the stolen D$'s.

Obv with GC's they can digitally deactivate a stolen account easier

Disnee4Me

i purchased discounted target gift cards from raise.com with my disney visa that were 6% off then i got an additional 5% from just having a target red card on my account even though i paid with the gift cards. saved several hundred.
raise.com? what's that? If I can get additional discounts, I'm all for that!! You can use target gift cards to purchase Disney gift cards? When I bought $500 in Disney gift cards in December (paid $475), they also gave me a $5 Target gift card for every $100, so there $25 in Target gift cards for FREE!! I like FREE.

note2001

I have around a total of $12 about in variety of designs. Was never a hard core collector, nor saw the use in using them as cash, but I've always like the idea that they were there to buy if we wanted to. Sort of like collecting old Indian head pennies. Will be sad if they take them away.

KevinYee

Disney Dollars were introduced in 1987 at Disneyland; not sure if they made it to WDW that same year. (someone was asking how long they've been around)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom