Is Disney dollars scheme ending?!

Disnee4Me

Maybe I just don't understand it.

I buy gift cards for my Disney trips at BJs and save about 4%. Is it basically that, only through Disney?
I found the best way is to buy the gift cards at Target with the Target Red Card (5%) and then I cash out my Discover card $$$s when the Target bill comes in, so free Disney gift cards. Just returned (December) from a "practically" free 9 day trip (well $900 in gift cards were Christmas presents from my very generous boss -- 3 Christmases in a row). Plus my Disney $$$s and my gift cards bought at Target. my total out of pocket was $175!!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Scheme implies that there's a systematic program to achieve a goal. Since they are an unstated liability on the balance books as discussed before, they've been reduced in utility by stored value cards.

Monorail_Red_77

Makes sense. I just purchased some Disney Dollars for mine and my son's collections at home (was at EPCOT on 3/12). The kids each were able to get a mint 2000 mickey $1.00 and I got a 2007 Cinderella $10.00 Last year any new designs were made to my knowledge were 2014 Mountain Series. It is kind of random as to what is available at each location. I just generally go to each park's Guest Relations and see what they have to offer depending on which park I am in on a given day.

I think that part of Disney is hoping that you buy them and never spend them. Like me.

awilliams4

Didn't know they were retired. I came across one last year and now it is in a nice little frame on my desk.
I am not so sure they are retired. This is the first I have read of this.....there was another scare back in 2007 when many were suggesting their days were numbered when they quit selling them at the Disney Store(s).

Monorail_Red_77

I am not so sure they are retired. This is the first I have read of this.....there was another scare back in 2007 when many were suggesting their days were numbered when they quit selling them at the Disney Store(s).

I don't think they are retiring either. It would not surprise me given the cutbacks on the little things so far this year. But it could just be fueled in part because they have not had any new designs since 2014 and appear to be using up existing inventory. Which is just good practice anyway.

Imagineerwannabe

Original Poster
So a little update, seen the Facebook groups that a few people have called guest services this afternoon and been told tommorow is the final day that Disney dollars will be available for purchase but any will still be redeemable. This could still be erroneous information...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I don't know when Disney dollars started, but I've always enjoyed them. Here's an old school buck, front, back, and cash envelope. It is the first one I ever got. I recall some rumblings from a year or two ago that they may quit making them. I hope it is not the case.

cbconglom

I found the best way is to buy the gift cards at Target with the Target Red Card (5%) and then I cash out my Discover card $$$s when the Target bill comes in, so free Disney gift cards. Just returned (December) from a "practically" free 9 day trip (well $900 in gift cards were Christmas presents from my very generous boss -- 3 Christmases in a row). Plus my Disney $$$s and my gift cards bought at Target. my total out of pocket was $175!!!

i purchased discounted target gift cards from raise.com with my disney visa that were 6% off then i got an additional 5% from just having a target red card on my account even though i paid with the gift cards. saved several hundred.

awilliams4

Just called, they are still selling them today but the person on the line thought she wasn't going to be able to sell them. You may use up to three credit cards for up to a total of $50 each ($150 total) plus $15 for the entire order so $165 total.

KDM31091

Even Disney's official page for the Dollars encourages people to buy a gift card instead ("if this is a gift, one other convenient option is a gift card!").

I would assume they just don't want to spend the money printing the special Disney dollars. Presumably it's easier to mass produce a ton of gift cards and call it a day rather than offering two currencies that amount to the same thing (Disney money).

Likely just a cost cutting move. Although popular with collectors, I don't think anyone outside of that really cares much about the Dollars.

Brad Bishop

Remember Disney dollars are a liability on the balance sheet until spent so making them go bye bye - polishes the financials just more financial engineering

I know that is probably how it looks on the balance sheet but it seems to me that:
1) Someone has given you money which they can only spend at your place
2) They are solely responsible for proving that they have it either via some gift card or the physical Disney Dollar currency and there's probably some percentage that gets lost so that's just money in Disney's pocket
3) If they're using Disney Dollars then they're probably going to spend more, anyway.

I never was a particular fan of the whole Disney Dollar deal (I guess the physical currency is kind of cute in a way). To me, I'd rather keep that money in my pocket until I go there and it frees me up from the problem of, "What if something comes up and I actually need cash?" With regular cash, I'm OK. I can't take Disney Dollars to the mechanic and buy a new transmission.

I just think it's interesting that something that works for them (outside of Disney Dollar counterfeiting, which I bet has happened) but looks bad on the balance sheet.

It'd be like someone giving me $100 and then me giving them an IOU which they may actually lose in the future. Worst case, I give them $100 in the future which will be worth less than $100 today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom