Is Disney contractually obligated to keep the Narnia attraction?

Ignohippo

Original Poster
Anyone know? I can't imagine any other reason for it still being at DHS other than that they have a contractual obligation to keep a Narnia attraction at one of the parks for "x" number of years (even though they don't distribute the movies anymore).

If not, holy cow. TDO is even cheaper than I could have ever possibly conceived (especially with Tron getting ready to open and having zero presence at WDW).

S

stphnbogert

I wouldn't believe so. Disney owns the right to that movie. I don't know who they would be contracted to. I'm sure they're going to replace it very soon with something else the only question is what else.

Mickey_777

Even though Disney isn't producing the Narnia movies anymore, I hope they're at least smart enough to keep the rights to use Narnia in the parks. It's an awesome franchise and I wish they'd at least make a dark ride for it.

Pioneer Hall

I'm surprised they haven't tried to turn this into a Tron attraction to promote the movie...keep the concept and change the film. Perhaps once it is in theaters.

S

stphnbogert

they should use the building as marketing building for upcoming movies. change it everytime a new movie is about to come out.

devoy1701

I saw that attraction before seeing the film and it ruined it for me, so I never saw the film.

We saw both Narnia "attractions" I definitely like this second incarnation better than the first, and it actually made us want to see the movie. I do really enjoy both of the films!

thelookingglass

It was fine before the movie came out and while the movie was new, but there is absolutely no reason to keep it around. I understand DHS needs attractions, but this is one case where having it open and having people actually devote time to it does nothing but hurt their experience at the park.

epcotWSC

DHS can make so many attractions if they desire. They don't "need" useless attractions.

How about a Rat Pack attraction ;).

Anyway, there are plenty of movies that they can base attractions on.

devoy1701

It was fine before the movie came out and while the movie was new, but there is absolutely no reason to keep it around. I understand DHS needs attractions, but this is one case where having it open and having people actually devote time to it does nothing but hurt their experience at the park.

I'm not sure how it can hurt someone's experience at a park. If you are a fan of the movie, it's always neat to see movie props and a "mockup" of a set. If you've seen it before you don't have to go again, but it by no means hurts someone's experience at DHS. No one is going, "Man, I had such a great time at DHS, but then I went in the Narnia attraction and it completely ruined my day! I couldn't enjoy myself after experiencing that attraction!" :shrug:

Monsterfan99

Amazingly enough, this attraction still gets lines. Granted, many of the people in the lines are the "Toy Story is how long of a wait !?! Lets go do this thing over here" type, but still.

thelookingglass

I'm not sure how it can hurt someone's experience at a park. If you are a fan of the movie, it's always neat to see movie props and a "mockup" of a set. If you've seen it before you don't have to go again, but it by no means hurts someone's experience at DHS. No one is going, "Man, I had such a great time at DHS, but then I went in the Narnia attraction and it completely ruined my day! I couldn't enjoy myself after experiencing that attraction!" :shrug:
Because it is absolutely NOTHING but a promotion for the movie, intended to be experienced BEFORE the movie came out. All it does is tell people that Disney doesn't care about creating and updating quality experiences for their guests.

I feel sorry for any new guest who sees Narnia on the park map and thinks "hmm, that might be cool, lets check it out!" thinking its an actual Narnia attraction, only to waste a portion of their day in an ADVERTISEMENT for a movie that came out YEARS ago!

Magenta Panther

Because it is absolutely NOTHING but a promotion for the movie, intended to be experienced BEFORE the movie came out. All it does is tell people that Disney doesn't care about creating and updating quality experiences for their guests.

I feel sorry for any new guest who sees Narnia on the park map and thinks "hmm, that might be cool, lets check it out!" thinking its an actual Narnia attraction, only to waste a portion of their day in an ADVERTISEMENT for a movie that came out YEARS ago!

Yeah, that attraction really needs to go. Disney dumped the franchise, Fox got it, so Diz needs to cut its losses and move on.

BTW, 20th Century Fox's "Dawn Treader" movie is getting good reviews so far. I have a feeling it's going to do very good business. I can't wait to see it myself.

fosse76

Even though Disney isn't producing the Narnia movies anymore, I hope they're at least smart enough to keep the rights to use Narnia in the parks. It's an awesome franchise and I wish they'd at least make a dark ride for it.

They didn't produce the movies. Disney was merely the distributer.

GrumpyFan

BTW, 20th Century Fox's "Dawn Treader" movie is getting good reviews so far. I have a feeling it's going to do very good business. I can't wait to see it myself.

I believe the new movie is due out Dec. 10th. So, yeah, Disney needs to either close this attraction, or updated it if they have the rights to do so. My vote would be to close it. It's a disappointing waste of time, always has been, and now it's just old.

Rob562

I'm surprised they haven't tried to turn this into a Tron attraction to promote the movie...keep the concept and change the film. Perhaps once it is in theaters.

Hmmm... Now there's an idea...
A bit of "armchair Imagineering" here... One idea that just popped into my head would be to use the "sudden changing room" technique they used at Star Trek the Experience or Posseiden's Fury at IOA.

They usher small groups of Guests into a small lobby that looks like the arcade, then perhaps from there the hidden office you see in the trailer via a Tron arcade game that swings open...

Once inside the office, you see some kind of short presentation, then there's a very bright flash of light, the lights go out, and all of a sudden you're in the Tron grid, where the rest of the attraction happens.

Hmmm...

-Rob

flavious27

Anyone know? I can't imagine any other reason for it still being at DHS other than that they have a contractual obligation to keep a Narnia attraction at one of the parks for "x" number of years (even though they don't distribute the movies anymore).

If not, holy cow. TDO is even cheaper than I could have ever possibly conceived (especially with Tron getting ready to open and having zero presence at WDW).

disney owns the rights to the first two movies, they will keep it there for as long as they have to. it wouldn't make sense to have an attractions that advertising for another company's movie that disney will not get any money for. also, they might want to see how the performance of dawn trader is to step back in for the last 4 movies for a better arrangement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom