Is Disney contractually obligated to keep the Narnia attraction?

flavious27

Hmmm... Now there's an idea...
A bit of "armchair Imagineering" here... One idea that just popped into my head would be to use the "sudden changing room" technique they used at Star Trek the Experience or Posseiden's Fury at IOA.

They usher small groups of Guests into a small lobby that looks like the arcade, then perhaps from there the hidden office you see in the trailer via a Tron arcade game that swings open...

Once inside the office, you see some kind of short presentation, then there's a very bright flash of light, the lights go out, and all of a sudden you're in the Tron grid, where the rest of the attraction happens.

Hmmm...

-Rob

I was thinking about the same thing. If they could have a ride with the light cycles. I was thinking about the use of a motion simulator like the new one that lexus is using.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
disney owns the rights to the first two movies, they will keep it there for as long as they have to. it wouldn't make sense to have an attractions that advertising for another company's movie that disney will not get any money for. also, they might want to see how the performance of dawn trader is to step back in for the last 4 movies for a better arrangement.

I'm sure the ship has sailed on Disney distributing the Narnia movies again. Even if the new one is a success (which it won't be), the current distributor would have to opt out in order for Disney to get it back.

There's no way TDO would keep incurring the expense of Narnia unless they had to.

It's prime space and would've been the perfect place for Tron. Seeing how hard Disney is promoting Tron, and how little sense it makes that they're keeping Narnia around, I'm really guessing that their original contract with the producers of Narnia states that they have to keep the attraction in the park for an unknown number of years. Not wanting to spend the money to update the attraction, it may just remain the same until they are contractually allowed to remove it.

EpcotServo

No they are not. It was going to close, but it seems like cheapness made them just abandon plans and leave it.

My prediction is that it stay open even well after Star Tours opens, then it will just close and sit vacant for a long time. I've kind of lost faith that if they didn't feel TRON was perfect for the space, nothing else will convince them to spend money on it. It's really quite embarrassing to me that we're promoting the movie another studio is releasing against a MUCH stronger title we have the next week.

flavious27

I'm sure the ship has sailed on Disney distributing the Narnia movies again. Even if the new one is a success (which it won't be), the current distributor would have to opt out in order for Disney to get it back.

There's no way TDO would keep incurring the expense of Narnia unless they had to.

It's prime space and would've been the perfect place for Tron. Seeing how hard Disney is promoting Tron, and how little sense it makes that they're keeping Narnia around, I'm really guessing that their original contract with the producers of Narnia states that they have to keep the attraction in the park for an unknown number of years. Not wanting to spend the money to update the attraction, it may just remain the same until they are contractually allowed to remove it.

businesses do weird stuff sometimes.

Jekyll_Baker

Maybe they'll close the Narnia attraction sooner, after people who assume that it's Dawn Treader related, start complaining about it

lazyboy97o

No they are not. It was going to close, but it seems like cheapness made them just abandon plans and leave it.
The cheap route would be to close the attraction and let it rot. My guess would be that enough people still pass through each day that it justifies keeping the attraction open.

I believe it was going to be changed to promote Prince of Persia last srping, with a Prince of Persia meet-and-greet but for some reason those plans were scrapped.

Just close it.

Kobe!!

I've never even considered riding this "ride" out of my 9 month internship and all my times as a child at Disney.

Can someone tell me what the attraction is? :shrug:

cheezbat

I've never even considered riding this "ride" out of my 9 month internship and all my times as a child at Disney.

Can someone tell me what the attraction is? :shrug:

its not a ride. It's a walkthrough attraction with some stuff from the movie. Nothing special.

wolf359

Three words: already paid for.

I do wish the space turned over more frequently to showcase upcoming or recently finished films. I'd much rather see props/evironments from Tron or Pirates 4, but at this moment the new Narnia film is bound to generate some interest in the previous ones, so Disney still having Prince Caspian in the parks probably works for them.

Magenta Panther

its not a ride. It's a walkthrough attraction with some stuff from the movie. Nothing special.

Yeah, the only cool part is when you're facing the doors of the giant wardrobe, and they open to reveal a snowy forest inside. That's pretty neat. But the rest of the attraction is meh.

GrumpyFan

Shortly after this message was posted, I emailed WDW Guest Services asking if there were any plans to change it anytime soon. Much to my surprise, I actually got an intelligible answer, albeit, not very encouraging.

Here's the email:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the attractions at Disney's Hollywood Studios?.

I have partnered with our Imagineering Department and was able to find out that, as of now, we do not have any plans to change the current Narnia attractions to reflect the newest movie being released. Our Imagineers are always dreaming of new and unique entertainment for our Guests to enjoy, so you never know what the future holds.

Thank you again for your question, and we hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

We are planning a trip to Walt Disney World after the holidays and really enjoy the new Narnia movies. We were wondering if the attraction that is currently at Disney's Hollywood Studios that is for Narnia and Prince Caspian will be updated when the new movie comes out December 10th?

JustInTime

Yeah, the only cool part is when you're facing the doors of the giant wardrobe, and they open to reveal a snowy forest inside. That's pretty neat. But the rest of the attraction is meh.

Actually, That was The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Now it has been rethemed for Prince Caspian. It's the stone table scene from the second film where the White Witch appears behind the ice.

It's worse than the first one, honestly.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
Shortly after this message was posted, I emailed WDW Guest Services asking if there were any plans to change it anytime soon. Much to my surprise, I actually got an intelligible answer, albeit, not very encouraging.

Here's the email:

Well, they wouldn't spend money to update an attraction to promote a movie for another studio.

With Narnia3 it over the weekend (finished #1 but with only $24 mil), I think we can safely assume the Narnia franchise is over. In a couple of weeks, it'll probably drop out of the top 10 - with families choosing Tron and Tangled for their holiday movie watching.

It's really a shame they didn't turn it into a Tron walkthrough. They may have actually gotten some publicity and inspired people to go to the Studios. Instead they're left with an out of date attraction that makes them look ridiculous.

Cheers TDO! :wave:

cheezbat

Well, they wouldn't spend money to update an attraction to promote a movie for another studio.

With Narnia3 it over the weekend (finished #1 but with only $24 mil), I think we can safely assume the Narnia franchise is over. In a couple of weeks, it'll probably drop out of the top 10 - with families choosing Tron and Tangled for their holiday movie watching.

It's really a shame they didn't turn it into a Tron walkthrough. They may have actually gotten some publicity and inspired people to go to the Studios. Instead they're left with an out of date attraction that makes them look ridiculous.

While I like the Narnia series, I agree. Tron would've made way more sense.

flavious27

Dawn Treader and the Narnia franchise were in trouble after prince Caspian. the second movie flopped in so many different ways. fox did have a more worldwide opening than the first two movies so the overall haul after the first weekend isn't as dire, but it is. Also the budget so far is $140 billion but that does not include the expenses for promoting the movie, disney spent $175 million on prince casp.

as bad as it is that disney dropped out of owning the rights to the full series of movies, it would have cost them to make the last 5. I doubt that fox will make another movie past the silverchair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom