Is Disney a Greedy Business?

Animaniac93-98

Not on this site. Yeah I've just joined but I've been talking to multiple people in person and on other sites too.

And you probably have.

But making your first post on this site starting a thread that was no doubt going to be a heated debate is not the best first impression.

PostScott

Original Poster
And you probably have.

But making your first post on this site starting a thread that was no doubt going to be a heated debate is not the best first impression.
That's why I said "I'm genuinely curious but I also don't want this to become some "lets talk trash about Disney" tread". I understand your suspicion, but if I really wanted to start that kind of thread then I wouldn't of stated some of the stuff in my post. It may be a bad first impression but I'm just curious as to other people's constructive opinions. Also, I'm thankful no one has really been rude. It's interesting to read some of these responses.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

And you probably have.

I don't have a dog in this race, but I have to ask why? Putting out an opinion on a discussion board to be discussed is a bad thing now? Heated or not, it is up for discussion. No one is going to change their minds about it anyway, so what is the harm unless we try to intimidate people, call them degrading names or make them feel ashamed about posting a perfectly acceptable statement.

Should the first post have read... "Hi, I'm Johnny, I like candy! Does anyone else like candy? I promise to be a good boy or girl and not attempt to ruffle any of the feathers of those that are absolutely superior to me mentally and if I do please set me straight so I can slink away in my much deserved shame.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Personification of a business is irrational, but if you want to go down that path why wouldn't you also label lots of guests avaricious?
Based on rising prices, I'd call guests expectacious.

Its important here to remember that "Wall Street," collectively answers to shareholders. They demand results for their shareholders and when you follow the money you find out that most shareholders are just normal people looking for a retirement. Pension funds and 401k funds all managed for individuals that put in money in order to get something back.

It isn't an unreasonable system at all.

It also seems a great time to point out that Disney ends up donating something close to half a billion dollars a year to charitable organizations. Recently they donated $1 million for hurricane Dorian relief and $5 for Notre Dame reconstruction.

Donating is generally against Wall Street mantra of increasing returns, but it's an area where the general public have set an expectation that corporations be a force for good, and Disney has to respond to that.
Charitable contributions are a significant part of a balanced approach to tax avoidance.

Disstevefan1

But then there is a REAL guest waiting for our register to clear, who isn’t getting checked out because they are the only CM at the register and they are fumbling around for 15 minutes trying to handle us.

If it is acceptable to give LESS service to one guest, then you are delaying everyone else behind them.

And how very magical it is to know that it doesn’t matter how many thousands of dollars a person can spend but if it’s not in the right bucket it it means they deserve less service. Premium company indeed.

Both excellent points! And I agree. The lack of training is delaying the real guest, that should be fixed at a minimum for that reason alone! I also agree, many cast members (and their families) do indeed spend a lot at the parks albeit at a discount. That said, we all know the mouse is making plenty of money even with the cast member discount.

Pepper's Ghost

I think everyone and every company should pay their fair share of taxes.

With that said... don't blame the player, blame the game. Most companies only pay as much as they have to according to the law. If they can take advantage of loopholes, they will. Just like you and me. You can't blame Disney, Amazon, or any other company for only paying what they're required to. I don't think a single person on this board figures their annual income taxes by April, and then writes a check for an additional $10k to the Fed. I'd say I could count on no hands the number of people who do that, so why would any company? It's the tax loopholes and/or system that should be addressed. Just my 2¢.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
WDW won and courts ruled in their favor of paying lower taxes. Orange County property appraiser Rick Singh was battling with Disney in paying their fair share of taxes.

How do you define "Fair share" is the crux of that argument. The property appraiser's methodology of establishing "fair market value" for properties and structures that have never traded on the open market was questionable. Goodwill is an intangible asset that cant be taxed but it is part and parcel of the Disneyworld Property.

smooch

And you probably have.

I've seen much worse first impressions. It's an actual topic to have an actual discussion about, of course people will disagree but that's better than posting a thread with a widely accepted premise that will just become an echo chamber of the same sentiment being repeated over and over. The thread is actually creating a discussion and it doesn't really matter if it's their first thread or not in my opinion, it's an interesting one.

That said, I think it's because of Wall Street in general: companies have always been for profit but it seems to me that most companies are extremely short sited now. Executives need to learn to ride out the ups and downs, they panic if their profits are down 0.5%, and it causes cost cutting that doesn't end up getting reverted because they end up making more money and continue to have customers. This creates a worse product with higher profits with very little repercussions. Angry consumers, happy shareholders with plenty of dollar bills to wipe their tears with.

chretts

No they aren't. How much do you suppose all the enhancements/improvements to the parks cost?

Star Wars Galaxys Edge will end up in the billion dollar range.

Now think of all the things that are coming and improving in the next decade there.

RobWDW1971

And if the share price is not moving in the upward direction, the executives employment with the company may be a short one.
Yup. This is the one that always seems to elude people - the executives are paid to drive stock price, everything is window dressing. If they don't do it, they will be replaced with another executive who will only be more motivated to do what their predecessor did not to do.

The discussion shouldn't be about concepts like "greed" or "evil", etc. it should be about HOW they go about driving stock price. I want the Disney CEO to be the greediest person on the planet and drive the stock price to $500/share by buying world class IP (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar) and building incredible new attractions, parks, etc. that make people line up to spend money. I win in that scenario and so do the shareholders.

On the other hand, if the CEO builds DCA and Paris' Studio Park and it is something with poor quality that doesn't drive visitation and spending then that is a poor business decision that does not drive the share price nor make me as a fan happy.

Driving share price is not always, by definition, at odds with the consumer - see Tesla, Apple, Netflix, Facebook, Google, etc.

MaryJaneP

Walt = guest experience, Roy=financial ROI
Too many Roys and no Walts.
Irretrievably broken once IPO and shareholder experience > guest experience. Slippery slope.
One interesting perspective could be to reverse the question to ask "What if Disney was NOT a greedy company?"

RobWDW1971

Walt = guest experience, Roy=financial ROI
Too many Roys and no Walts.
Irretrievably broken once IPO and shareholder experience > guest experience. Slippery slope.
One interesting perspective could be to reverse to question such "What is Disney was NOT a greedy company?"
But that's a binary point of view. Take Disney out of it for a second - Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, and many others have shown you can drive incredible financial ROI by providing an exceptional guest experience. Those concepts are not in conflict and the idea that there is "two camps" doesn't capture the dynamic.

Back to Disney, the cruise line is a perfect example of driving guest experience and fantastic ROI. This should be the goal for fans and shareholders - more investment, better guest experiences, higher ROI, higher share price. That is a beautiful cycle.

Now, when they invest in poor ideas and the guests still buy anything regardless of quality/price, that starts to blow up the cycle.

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

Now, when they invest in poor ideas and the guests still buy anything regardless of quality/price, that starts to blow up the cycle.

Specifically for the parks, that is so hard to measure (not including merch). Most people are attending for the sake of nostalgia, and happier times. It's hard to say that attendance should go down with more recent lack of quality or high prices. With so many offerings, both nostalgic and new, it's hard to measure what is driving record attendance, but I'd say it's mostly due to people's love for the specific rides and entertainment they've loved for 10, 20, or 40 years.

MAGICFLOP

Its irresponsible for Disney not to charge what people are willing to pay.. they raise the price and people still come...so raise it again.. find the market value..

As long as they take that money and maintain and upgrade their product as well as bank roll for lean times, then that is not greedy...

If they just kept the money and gave it out as bonuses and let the parks / hotels slide and run down, then that would be greed..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom