Is Disney a Greedy Business?

JimboS

You can look at it any way you like but the bottom line is any any publicly owned companies first responsibility and loyalty is to the shareholder. I don't like paying high prices but it is the way the economy works.

OG Runner

You can look at it any way you like but the bottom line is any any publicly owned companies first responsibility and loyalty is to the shareholder. I don't like paying high prices but it is the way the economy works.

If people didn't like the produce they wouldn't pay what they pay for it. Our complaint appears to be the increasing cost of something we like. Funny thing is, if so many people didn't like it the prices wouldn't keep going up.

Eamethyst

Yes. Greedier than they were ? Yes.

But that’s Wall Street.
You are right. In the beginning Disney wasn't. Disney was a privately owned company. The company was the family. After all of the deaths of the family members and the last member that left the company Disney company is not the same. non of the Disney family members that are left have anything to do with the company except for small percentage that they have. I read it was 3%. It's a stock or share. That's not allot. There are other companies that are in this world that are greedier. At least Disney does give back. Disney has programs for their employees, education programs, schooling, reimbursements. People see Disney as a money maker. They only care about money but what company that doesn't. But there are few companies that give back to people. Over the years Disney has held benefits, auctions. Help the needy, etc. Disney was never meant to be a corporate company. It was meant to be a family. It should be a family. It should stay that way. There are to many people that have a say in the company.

Trackmaster

Disney is a business. Doesn't matter if they're manufacturing widgets or making wishes come true; it's a business. It's what our capitalistic society is built on. They're in it for a profit. Along the way they employ thousands of people who can raise their families because of the money that Disney pays them and the benefits they offer them. Those people chose to work for Disney. I have no problem with Disney making a profit, however, if they raise prices too much, my family may choose to find our entertainment elsewhere. Maybe Bernie can promise that admission to Disney will be free and everyone is invited to join the "33" club free of charge.

Its not just the profit motive. If Disney gave away the gate, and made the experience cheap across the board, they just wouldn't be able to afford what they do. Going to Disney would pretty much be like going to Six Flags, a county fair, an arcade park, or some iteration of that. Even if Disney was just trying to break even, there's still the "you get what you pay for" aspect. If you want an experience worth traveling for that you can't get anywhere else, its just going to be expensive.

And, in reality, they may never get to the point where they price themselves out of making a profit. They may lose a lot of lower middle and middle class families, but if they impress enough 1%ers, they can keep the lights on by just pleasing them. Fewer people means more cost efficiency. If the margins on a few people are awesome, they don't need to make a park that everybody can afford. It goes back to my Ferrari vs. Toyota argument.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom