Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

erasure fan1

I agree however according to Universal's Website there are 51 things to do in that park, Hollywood Studios has 20 so that is a big difference. If you get down to actual rides and not necessarily shows, the numbers are even more startling. Take out one or two rides and it is a very real problem. New Construction to increase capacity needs to happen but apparently wont be in the next few years, which is the whole point of what is being said. Marie
That's exactly it. There's the group that sticks up for Disney, saying things like, look how much they are doing! When in reality, addition by subtraction gains us nothing. The parks have extreme capacity issues, even if the same group of people likes to pretend it's all sunshine and roses.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was at Universal last year. Saw Jurassic coaster down for most of the morning. It happens.
101 is a fact of life. But the trends at least appear to be alarming. Having 4+ things out at once…especially in the morning…can wreck the day.

They need to mitigate it. Which means more overhead investment. There’s no other way. You’re wrecking your clientele pool.

I can think of two notorious Epcot rides/shows that they’ve battled with since the day they opened.
Their options:
1. Keep battling
2. No other options

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I did one…it was actually really cool.

And it also was DIFFERENT…not reselling the same thing which is all the bobs really do these days.

Failure? That generated loads of volume - especially in state - that lead to revenue they wouldn’t have otherwise and ancillary merch sales to boot. Winners all the way around.

But no “unplanned discounts” in the Blue Ocean….reject
I think they stopped Tables in Wonderland because they thought they was not making enough money from it.

seabreezept813

Back in the day conventions booked the Great Movie Ride for private dinners for companies who shelled out the cash. Event guests would wine and dine on the GMR track surrounded by the different scenes of the attraction. This made of creative use of the ride attraction.
This was an option for my wedding too. GMR, a few countries, and maybe Ellen's. I can't remember the other options.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think they stopped Tables in Wonderland because they thought they was not making enough money from it.
It was “philosophy” five years ago…there was a top down mandate to “ween” their customers off discounts.
Because the product has no alternative, can’t be resisted, therefore there’s zero need for price controls on the low end.

That’s the actual thought.

It’s failing…not working…but it was never going to. It’s made up…like most zealot based concepts 🤪

Smugpugmug

I don't think attraction downtime is due to a secret agenda to push wait times up by keeping attractions closed, I just think maintenance is really bad. Just looking at the state of some attractions is all you need to know.

I do think wait-times are inflated to consider potential downtime, the ridiculous Genie to Standby ratio, and the fact that one attraction down causes a domino effect throughout the park due to a lack of capacity.
I rode Test Track on sunday and I was shocked as to how bad the current state of that ride is maintainence wise. It was a 60+ minute wait all day and I couldn't imagine waiting that long for such a mediocre experience (single rider FTW).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I rode Test Track on sunday and I was shocked as to how bad the current state of that ride is maintainence wise. It was a 60+ minute wait all day and I couldn't imagine waiting that long for such a mediocre experience (single rider FTW).

So what you might be saying is…

They skimp on maintenance and let it rot for years…then announce a reskin as “new”?

Is that what “high gear” at the magic kingdom means?
Could be a Wall-E reskin of stitch where Eve tries to eat the crowd 👍🏻👍🏻

Smugpugmug

So what you might be saying is…

They skimp on maintenance and let it rot for years…then announce a reskin as “new”?

Is that what “high gear” at the magic kingdom means?
Could be a Wall-E reskin of stitch where Eve tries to eat the crowd 👍🏻👍🏻
Pretty much. And it's sad that the Test Track refurb was the best thing they announced recently (IMO obviously).

erasure fan1

Pretty much. And it's sad that the Test Track refurb was the best thing they announced recently (IMO obviously).
By far the best thing they announced. If done properly, it could be a really great refurb. Star tours 2.0 is still probably my top refurb/update they've done. But if, and that's a big if, they can capture the spirit of WoM this could surpass it.

Smugpugmug

By far the best thing they announced. If done properly, it could be a really great refurb. Star tours 2.0 is still probably my top refurb/update they've done. But if, and that's a big if, they can capture the spirit of WoM this could surpass it.
I think if done right it could be really great. Test Track 2.0 isn't exactly amazing so I doubt it can get any worse.

celluloid

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, in The Sorrows of Young Werther, first published in 1774, writes "misunderstandings and neglect occasion more mischief in the world than even malice and wickedness. At all events, the two latter are of less frequent occurrence."

I'd go with neglect in this case.

To neglect is abuse. To neglect intentionally is malice.

Ignorance, the neglect of education, is what causes selfishness and hate.

So Goethe was really saying the same thing here.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

I agree however according to Universal's Website there are 51 things to do in that park, Hollywood Studios has 20 so that is a big difference. If you get down to actual rides and not necessarily shows, the numbers are even more startling. Take out one or two rides and it is a very real problem. New Construction to increase capacity needs to happen but apparently wont be in the next few years, which is the whole point of what is being said. Marie

Yep, conspiracy theories about attractions going down as a tool to push Genie+ aside, some of Disney's parks simply have no room for error.

It even makes it hard to do standard refurbishments when one missing attraction has a significant impact.

Disney also should consider building some attractions with capacity in mind. Universe of Energy was a great option to have because it was never busy, even on crowded days, and offered an extended experience. A friend referred to it as a "just do it" option on a busy day like NYE. It has been replaced with yet another attraction that lasts a few minutes with a long wait time.

Build more high capacity omnimover type attractions in each park. They typically see less wait times than coasters for example and offer a longer experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom