Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Lilofan

TBH, I think the only WDW parks/resorts thing done well under Iger's tenure is the Skyliner, because it goes perfectly where it was put (and wouldn't necessarily work as well in other areas of WDW). It actually increases value for guests in a WDW vacation. Nothing else for the WDW parks in Iger's tenure, IMO, increased value. Under his tenure the WDW parks saw:

- loss of Fastpass into FP+, which was worse and then loss of even FP+ in favor of a paid LL/Genie+ system
- nickel and diming guests, from resort parking fees for a time to charging people for trying to use a line queue system that was formerly included to no longer providing DME, which still somehow failed to drop resort charges for guests
- an aversion to increasing ride capacity or number of rides to meet demand for them
- homogenization of most of WDW's table service dining to meet DDP requirements, instead of just leaving them out of the DDP altogether
- increased encroachment of DVC on beloved resorts, which cheapened both DVC and the original resorts

I understand this isn't from the POV of a corporate earnings report, but it is at least (IMO) a partial list of reasons why attendance has been lagging at WDW recently, and it all happened under Iger's overall leadership. If he does get into politics, I'm not sure he could be voted dogcatcher.
Then with the company getting rid of Chapek and giving him a $23M good bye gift, the Board got with Iger to come back and then gets a contract extension.

Dranth

I'm not clear on why owning things is necessarily better than profitable partnerships for each. Many people, especially me, will argue that Star Wars was a far better franchise when not owned by Disney, but partnering with them. Maybe more profit is being squeezed out of Star Wars under Iger (at the expense of the future of Star Wars), but that's not the same as pleasing the fan base. IMO, Disney's ownership of Star Wars has cheapened that franchise as well as Disney.
If you can make more money by selling something directly to the consumer vs. renting it out to other companies to sell or partner then it makes sense to own it directly. It doesn't work for everything but for a lot of stuff it does.

You bring up Star Wars so let's look at that. Execution aside, as they drove it right into the ground, they still made more money off of it then they ever would have made just trying to partner with Lucas directly. I doubt Disney wanted to steer it directly off a cliff as they could make even more money if it was still doing well but running it into the ground is still more profitable than having to beg Lucas to let you tag along every X number of years when a contract expires all the while hoping someone else doesn't come along and buy it cutting you out.

Companies buying up IP or each other is generally bad for consumers, not the companies.

UNCgolf

Nothing like the bid dogs Iger acquired like Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel. What Eisner acquired which was an accomplishment fell on deaf ears when the shareholders spearheaded by Roy Disney and Stanley Gold forced out Eisner.

ABC/ESPN was probably a bigger acquisition than Pixar, Star Wars, or Marvel -- arguably a bigger acquisition than the three of them combined.

ESPN alone made Disney tremendous amounts of money, and may have been singlehandedly propping up the rest of the company at one point. Even in 2022, when cord cutting was already well into effect, ESPN provided almost $3 billion in operating profit.

Last edited:

Lilofan

ABC/ESPN was probably a bigger acquisition than Pixar, Star Wars, or Marvel -- arguably a bigger acquisition than the three of them combined.

ESPN alone made Disney tremendous amounts of money, and may have been singlehandedly propping up the rest of the company at one point. Even in 2022, when cord cutting was already well into effect, ESPN provided almost $3 billion in operating profit.
In regards to ESPN, it is amazing when ESPN had their round of layoffs one of the cast that was laid off was ex Michigan, NBA star Jalen Rose on air personality. He was earning $3M per year at ESPN.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

Plus if a restaurant serves you inedible food, you politely request a new dish.

“Excuse me, I know this isn’t your fault, but this dish is pretty bad. [Insert specific detail.] Would you please replace it for me?”

If I order a medium rare steak, and I get a hunk of gray beef, it’s going back.
If I'm dining off-property I might do that. Though sending food back to the kitchen is risky.

At WDW, we often have post-meal plans, so a $10 bad vegetable isn't worth missing out on the $$ MVMCP or the 4 G+ passes we stacked.

[We did say something about the plastic in the food, because it was a choking hazard (In case more plastic was served to someone else). Alas, reporting it to our waitperson did not go well. They reacted with hostility and - I think- assumed we had contaminated the food ourselves! The meal just went further downhill from there. As i said, it was so bad, that it was the only time we ate there. It closed a little while later.

The crazy part is, we had the DDP, so the meal was pre-paid. If they had said the meal was 'free,' it would not have mattered; we would have just ended up with unused credits.]

But the above partly shows why Disney's pre-paid, non-refundable policies are part of the current turn-off. It isn't just the high prices.

MickeyLuv'r

I don’t doubt they serve food that people don’t care for. When I hear “inedible” I think literally inedible though. Like if a restaurant is routinely serving things that are literally not edible because they are so hard, chewy, or contaminated, someone should call the health department.

It’s probably just lingo that I’m not up on though. The Young People these days, they do confuse me with their slang and whatnot. 😂
I've been going to WDW pretty much since it opened. 😁

Mind, I'm sure people posting elsewhere exaggerate. The past few years there has been an explosion of people talking and posting in hyperbole.

TrainsOfDisney

Alas, reporting it to our waitperson did not go well. They reacted with hostility and - I think- assumed we had contaminated the food ourselves!
I can’t remember which version of the restaurant it was - spoodles, etc. but I had the rudest and most hostile server ever at Disney at that location. Was honestly shocked at how bad he was.

I’m not suggesting it was the same server, but probably an issue with management there. Hopefully it’s gotten better with the current name change.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

I can’t remember which version of the restaurant it was - spoodles, etc. but I had the rudest and most hostile server ever at that location. Was honestly shocked at how bad he was.

I’m not suggesting it was the same server, but probably an issue with management there. Hopefully it’s gotten better with the current name change.
I am happy to report, the Trattoria is MUCH better. I dined there earlier this year; the service was outstanding. The food was also decent. It was one of the better meals that visit.

el_super

Is WDW the equivalent of a regional park or is it a world class resort?

At this point I'm just comparing WDW to DLR. DLR has always charged for resort parking, and never had free transportation to the resort. Somehow removing these things has somehow destroyed the WDW experience but the other parks are just fine?

TrainsOfDisney

At this point I'm just comparing WDW to DLR. DLR has always charged for resort parking, and never had free transportation to the resort.
Pop Century alone has almost the same number of rooms that Disneyland has in total.

Comparing them is difficult.

Somehow removing these things has somehow destroyed the WDW experience but the other parks are just fine?
It’s certainly affected the occupancy rates hasn’t it?

DisneyHead123

At this point I'm just comparing WDW to DLR. DLR has always charged for resort parking, and never had free transportation to the resort. Somehow removing these things has somehow destroyed the WDW experience but the other parks are just fine?

I see the logic in what you're saying, but I'd like to think of multiple parks resulting in a constant raising of the bar, not a race to the bottom. That if one park does something particularly well or has something that is particularly beloved, it serves to inspire the other parks. Not the opposite, that they say "Hey, they live with X, Y, or Z at this park, let's cut it from all the parks."

bwr827

Offering a perk and then taking it away is very different from never offering it.

Before the pandemic, many office workers would have been thrilled to be allowed 2 days a week work from home. After enjoying 100% work from home, being asked to return 3 days a week is not going well.

Disstevefan1

Offering a perk and then taking it away is very different from never offering it.
Totally agree. In my opinion never having the perk is better than having the perk and having it taken away.

This is exactly the experience of the old, long time WDW visitor compared to the new WDW visitor.

The old, long time WDW experiences "getting less and paying more" and feels the loss in many things in WDW.

The new WDW visitor does not know any better.

Having said all that, I think WDW will be able to replace all their old, long time WDW visitors with new WDW visitors who don't know any better.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Having said all that, I think WDW will be able to replace all their old, long time WDW visitors with new WDW visitors who don't know any better.

Bob and Josh are counting on that. I don't know how successful it's going to be, though, but maybe they aren't done doing damage to the brand and the parks yet? I mean, they haven't countered a decline in attendance with a commensurate price hike yet, because that always solves the problems they've created.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom