Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Thepuma

And how is complaining on an internet forum any better?
Because the forum is there to share your experiences about all things Disney. It's how people to make a balanced opinion before they go.

A bit like trip advisor I guess.

I see it as helping others plan their trips..and keep in check their expectations.

Some people won't ha e anything bad sad about Disney, and if you went by that opinion you may well enjoy disappointed.

Lilofan

Because the forum is there to share your experiences about all things Disney. It's how people to make a balanced opinion before they go.

I see it as helping others plan their trips..and keep in check their expectations.

Some people won't ha e anything bad sad about Disney, and if you went by that opinion you may well enjoy disappointed.
Your influence of enjoy disappointed is strictly yours. We've had wonderful times on vacation at WDW, not perfect or seamless by any means but enjoyable and wonderful . I certainly don't stressed out over why some attraction rides are not available first thing in the morning. There are many options in the park to enjoy and experience as an alternative. Even chatting with the cast members , at times the CMs give us some tips is one of our favorite things to do.
Fyi - I have never read a post of Trip Advisor calling other travelers - uneducated.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

So to be somewhat even relevant, one would have to be a traveler from the UK on a multi week stay. That would somewhat match up perceptions, expectations, and cultural/political nuances with the reader. It's a gross simplification, as I have omitted any regional or socio-economic peculiarities, but it's closer than an average (if there is such a thing) American mindset where we don't stop for tea.

I would hazard that an American at Thorpe or Alton Towers could muster and equal amount of outrage, but that would only be for a day or two.

Thepuma

So to be somewhat even relevant, one would have to be a traveler from the UK on a multi week stay. That would somewhat match up perceptions, expectations, and cultural/political nuances with the reader. It's a gross simplification, as I have omitted any regional or socio-economic peculiarities, but it's closer than an average (if there is such a thing) American mindset where we don't stop for tea.

I would hazard that an American at Thorpe or Alton Towers could muster and equal amount of outrage, but that would only be for a day or two.
And would also be at about a third of the cost and therefore expectations are logically less than having paid £130 to get into a Disney Park.

My highlighting issues is definitely NOT irrelevant to anyone visiting the park.

If you're at a Disney Park for 1 day or 5 days, you'll still be affected by the issues I've raised.

I have no idea whatsoever how you think the opinion of a Brit, who over the last 6 or 7 years has probably been to Disney Parks more than 90% of Americans in attendance, is any less valid than an American going far less.

I'm not saying I'm the oracle...but coming from the UK I thought there would be mainly American Experts in the parks, instead the multitude of Americans I've spoken to over the last 3 weeks in the parks, know very little about not only the parks, but the rides inside then or how G+, LL+ and virtual queue works?

So, if you were looking for advice on visiting a Disney Park - would you get it from someone who has racked up around 200 visits amd knows the system inside out, or a indigenous American who has only been once?

Thepuma

Your influence of enjoy disappointed is strictly yours. We've had wonderful times on vacation at WDW, not perfect or seamless by any means but enjoyable and wonderful . I certainly don't stressed out over why some attraction rides are not available first thing in the morning. There are many options in the park to enjoy and experience as an alternative. Even chatting with the cast members , at times the CMs give us some tips is one of our favorite things to do.
Fyi - I have never read a post of Trip Advisor calling other travelers - uneducated.
For me it's more a frustration at the whole organisation side of things at Disney. Because they used to be a whole lot better and Customer Service was a bigger priority than it is now.

So with this in mind, and with the huge price rises - Ticket price plus the other extras that you have to pay for now that you didnt previously, I don't know how some can be so happy and so indifferent to paying more and more for less and less in return.

I'm also quite shocked at how much queue jumping I've seen going on (caused by Disneys poor organisation) with not a single person saying anything?

I've witnessed it so many times these past 3 weeks and I'm shocked people just allow it - basically its screwing over everyone that's waited in that queue.

The worst was in the queue for Fantasmic! - the queue started about 7.15pm...we joined it at 7.30pm when it was already halfway down Hollywood Boulevard...so we waited and waited with the queue by 7.50pm going back to Micky n Minnie's....

They opened the gate at around 8pm with many at the front already having waited almost an hour...when the rope went down, I witnessed scores of people simply walk all the way to the front of the queue and push their way in...screwing over all those who had waited an hour at the front and all those behind in the queue....not a single person said anything. It was a case of, well, it is what it is. I called out a few of these idiots and made sure they didn't just join the front of the queue and screw everyone over - but seeing as everyone else was happy to be walked all over, I just gave up.

This AGAIN is 100% Disneys fault for poor poor organisation. The length of Hollywood Boulevard needs roping off at the very least so an orderly queue can form and nobody can just jump into the front of the queue.

I saw one family walk straight to the front and got central front row seats, while those that had waited at the back of the queue ending up in the gods in worse seats.

I just don't know how Disney organisers cannot see this and implement a simple queue system.

But, in classic Disney style, having announced for 40 minutes that the show 'may be delayed'if rain comes...and then at 8.20 saying the show was going ahead on time....at 8.29pm we had a spot of rain and they announced "Due to inclement weather, Fantasmic! Is now cancelled!! - Bare in mind this was the rain that was forecast to start around 8ish from the very start of the day..so it was hardly a big shock when it came. Like, if they cancel it when it rains (which they didn't say on their announcements) why not say that while everyone's queueing for an hour - Their announcements made it sound like, rain would simply delay it.

Lilofan

For me it's more a frustration at the whole organisation side of things at Disney. Because they used to be a whole lot better and Customer Service was a bigger priority than it is now.

So with this in mind, and with the huge price rises - Ticket price plus the other extras that you have to pay for now that you didnt previously, I don't know how some can be so happy and so indifferent to paying more and more for less and less in return.

I'm also quite shocked at how much queue jumping I've seen going on (caused by Disneys poor organisation) with not a single person saying anything?

I've witnessed it so many times these past 3 weeks and I'm shocked people just allow it - basically its screwing over everyone that's waited in that queue.

The worst was in the queue for Fantasmic! - the queue started about 7.15pm...we joined it at 7.30pm when it was already halfway down Hollywood Boulevard...so we waited and waited with the queue by 7.50pm going back to Micky n Minnie's....

They opened the gate at around 8pm with many at the front already having waited almost an hour...when the rope went down, I witnessed scores of people simply walk all the way to the front of the queue and push their way in...screwing over all those who had waited an hour at the front and all those behind in the queue....not a single person said anything. It was a case of, well, it is what it is. I called out a few of these idiots and made sure they didn't just join the front of the queue and screw everyone over - but seeing as everyone else was happy to be walked all over, I just gave up.

This AGAIN is 100% Disneys fault for poor poor organisation. The length of Hollywood Boulevard needs roping off at the very least so an orderly queue can form and nobody can just jump into the front of the queue.

I saw one family walk straight to the front and got central front row seats, while those that had waited at the back of the queue ending up in the gods in worse seats.

I just don't know how Disney organisers cannot see this and implement a simple queue system.

But, in classic Disney style, having announced for 40 minutes that the show 'may be delayed'if rain comes...and then at 8.20 saying the show was going ahead on time....at 8.29pm we had a spot of rain and they announced "Due to inclement weather, Fantasmic! Is now cancelled!! - Bare in mind this was the rain that was forecast to start around 8ish from the very start of the day..so it was hardly a big shock when it came. Like, if they cancel it when it rains (which they didn't say on their announcements) why not say that while everyone's queueing for an hour - Their announcements made it sound like, rain would simply delay it.
I've attended a number of Fantasmic shows and yes there are times 8K of us would be seated and 2 min before show time the show gets cancelled due to weather. It seems like in your 200+ visits to Disney you have reached your boiling point . There are plenty of options non Disney for you to spend your $$.

Thepuma

I've attended a number of Fantasmic shows and yes there are times 8K of us would be seated and 2 min before show time the show gets cancelled due to weather. It seems like in your 200+ visits to Disney you have reached your boiling point . There are plenty of options non Disney for you to spend your $$.
Again...totally missing the point.

It's not that the show was cancelled, it was 1) The horrendous organisation meaning a large number of people jumped the queue, because Disneys poor queue management allowed it to happen with Zero staff around to stop it.(They saw it and turned a blind eye to it, that was the biggest kick in the teeth.

2) IF there was ANY chance the show would be cancelled 1 minute before it starts due to rain, simply announce that to those who had been waiting a LONG time to get a decent seat, rather than saying "Due to inclement weather, Fantasmic! May be delayed tonight"....then saying "Fantasmic is going ahead" and then once theres a tiny spot of rain at 8.29pm with a auditorium jam packed full "Fantasmic is cancelled tonight"

As I say, the rain on the evening was forecast throughout the day and hadn't changed at all. Going by their announcement I simply assumed they would wait till the rain stopped (as they had done on the Tuesday with a MUCH bigger storm)

On both accounts its poor poor management by Disney.

Thepuma

. It seems like in your 200+ visits to Disney you have reached your boiling point . There are plenty of options non Disney for you to spend your $$.
Yep 100%...and hence why we will never be coming back. Finally voting with our feet.

But Disney won't care as the overwhelming majority will just roll over and take whatever ineptness they throw at them without a murmur..

Once I've been to Tokyo Disney in January I will report back as to whether the Japanese Park pulls the same stunts as Orlandos, or if they've got a backbone and do things right, rather than screw over the paying customer.

We shall see. I'll be very very surprised of the Japanese would sink so low, but I'm always up for being surprised.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You been recently?

Trauma

Yep 100%...and hence why we will never be coming back. Finally voting with our feet.

But Disney won't care as the overwhelming majority will just roll over and take whatever ineptness they throw at them without a murmur..

Once I've been to Tokyo Disney in January I will report back as to whether the Japanese Park pulls the same stunts as Orlandos, or if they've got a backbone and do things right, rather than screw over the paying customer.

We shall see. I'll be very very surprised of the Japanese would sink so low, but I'm always up for being surprised.
It remains to be seen long term.

More and more people are skipping Disney for Universal.

We will have to see if that accelerates with the new park.

Disney is playing with fire.

Thepuma

As much as I find Disneys worth going down and down, I don't see any signs of attendance reducing, so I just feel people will just put up with more and more without voting with their feet.

As I've said before, even if they get a reduced attendance of 5%, they will simply add 5% to ticket prices or G+ and in doing so, Disney almost feels immune to any financial hardship.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s sad how often the shows that are meant to be our last memory, and convince us to come back, are cancelled. There was a time I swore I was done with DL because they had cancelled the fireworks every night 4 visits in a row.

Disney can’t control the weather but there really is a feeling that it’s a cost saving measure as much as weather related. The one that nearly broke me was when we were watching a couple lost balloons go straight up until they were out of sight, never veering an inch, at the same time that they were making the announcement of cancellation due to high level winds.

Cancelling a show is a horrible way to end a guests day so you’d think Disney would do everything possible to have them happen but it feels like they are looking for any reason to cancel them, and save a buck.

Addo

Again...totally missing the point.

It's not that the show was cancelled, it was 1) The horrendous organisation meaning a large number of people jumped the queue, because Disneys poor queue management allowed it to happen with Zero staff around to stop it.(They saw it and turned a blind eye to it, that was the biggest kick in the teeth.

2) IF there was ANY chance the show would be cancelled 1 minute before it starts due to rain, simply announce that to those who had been waiting a LONG time to get a decent seat, rather than saying "Due to inclement weather, Fantasmic! May be delayed tonight"....then saying "Fantasmic is going ahead" and then once theres a tiny spot of rain at 8.29pm with a auditorium jam packed full "Fantasmic is cancelled tonight"

As I say, the rain on the evening was forecast throughout the day and hadn't changed at all. Going by their announcement I simply assumed they would wait till the rain stopped (as they had done on the Tuesday with a MUCH bigger storm)

On both accounts its poor poor management by Disney.
We were there that night for Fantasmic that was aborted. Was poorly organised and very poorly managed. Should have started early / delayed / cancelled earlier. Rather than seat everyone for something they knew wouldn’t happen at that time.

Lilofan

It’s sad how often the shows that are meant to be our last memory, and convince us to come back, are cancelled. There was a time I swore I was done with DL because they had cancelled the fireworks every night 4 visits in a row.

Disney can’t control the weather but there really is a feeling that it’s a cost saving measure as much as weather related. The one that nearly broke me was when we were watching a couple lost balloons go straight up until they were out of sight, never veering an inch, at the same time that they were making the announcement of cancellation due to high level winds.

Cancelling a show is a horrible way to end a guests day so you’d think Disney would do everything possible to have them happen but it feels like they are looking for any reason to cancel them, and save a buck.
A CM shared with us that entertainment cast at the Fantasmic gets paid their entire shift whether even if the show get cancelled day of. Florida being a lightning capital and one night the F! show got cancelled last minute with a full house of people sitting in the theatre with a far away lightning strike without a drop of rain but the show still was a no-go.

RoadiJeff

I will not be one of the ones who skips Disney to go to Universal. My wife and I will be in Orlando in about a week. I bought the Disney 4 park, 4 day special for $99/day. I will also probably buy Genie+ for each of those days and maybe a few ILL.

However, all that added up doesn't even come close to what I paid for a one day park hopper ticket with Express Pass to Universal on the 30th. For the two of us it cost me $800 in tickets for one day there.

Trauma

I will not be one of the ones who skips Disney to go to Universal. My wife and I will be in Orlando in about a week. I bought the Disney 4 park, 4 day special for $99/day. I will also probably buy Genie+ for each of those days and maybe a few ILL.

However, all that added up doesn't even come close to what I paid for a one day park hopper ticket with Express Pass to Universal on the 30th. For the two of us it cost me $800 in tickets for one day there.
Well express pass is a much better product than G+ so makes sense that it costs more.

However it is included free with your deluxe resort room.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I don’t think the market bleed is too large…yet.

But things are in motion where that could be changing?

Trauma

I don’t think the market bleed is too large…yet.

But things are in motion where that could be changing?
Let’s pretend that the market bleed is only in its infancy.

Would you agree it’s safe to assume when the new park opens, that a greater portion of Florida travelers will choose to include a couple days at Universal?

What if those travelers have more fun and find better value at Universal?

They then return home and word of mouth starts to spread.

Maybe it’s 5-10 year process.

How much bleed can Disney withstand assuming that raising prices at a rapid pace can not be sustained forever?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom