Is anyone in the wrong here?

phillip9698

Well there is that I agree. However there's a slight subtle difference in my humble opinion which is with the academy they're kind of saying "Do you want to get up on stage in front of a crowd to battle Darth Vader" whereas meeting Gaston is a more of a 'personal experience' and not on a stage designed to be viewed by people. I'm not saying you're wrong and certainly both are held in public with little to no expectation of privacy. However that little difference could be used to separate the two scenarios to a small degree.

If the meeting was in a room like the meet and greets with Poo in Epcot or Tinker Bell in MK I would agree, those seem personal. But the ones that took place in restaurants and outside, I wouldn't expect any privacy at all. It's in the open. If I can sit on a bench or chair for an hour and watch a character I wouldn't think there would be a problem filming the performance.

That's just me though.

Pepper's Ghost

He didn't break character.
Actually, he did. It's one thing to be cocky or brash like your character, but he got into a staring match to intimidate the guest. Right or wrong, the guest should never be intimidated by an employee, not even security. If you have to take someone into custody due to inappropriate behavior, that's one thing, but intimidating them is completely unacceptable.

Incomudro

Actually, he did. It's one thing to be cocky or brash like your character, but he got into a staring match to intimidate the guest. Right or wrong, the guest should never be intimidated by an employee, not even security. If you have to take someone into custody due to inappropriate behavior, that's one thing, but intimidating them is completely unacceptable.
That's not Gaston's character?

Pepper's Ghost

That's not Gaston's character?
You're saying it's appropriate to intimidate guests because it's in his character? Does Darth Vader kill kids during Jedi Training because it would be in character to kill Padawans? It's obviously an extreme example for comparison, but Darth Vader in Ep 3 did kill Padawans. It's actually way out of character to spar with them, but I'm assuming it would upset a few guests if he started cutting down kids.

TrainsOfDisney

There’s some really weird lines when it comes to photography at Disney Parks.

How many people take photos of Disney attractions while other people are riding them? Slinky Dog, Everest, Dumbo, Big Thunder....

And photography is certainly allowed at belle’s Storytime and that would include several interactions with other guests.

For that matter... Disney takes photos of guests and all you have to do is scan them onto your photopass if you want a copy of them.... yeah that’s creepy.... but it’s true. Ha.

Larry Mondello

If you don't want to be filmed, don't go to Disney. Just watch any of these Friday night video logs and you will be filmed in high definition when you enter their field of view as they walk around the parks. I would have continued filming him saying nothing and waited for him to do something libelous.

SteamboatJoe

There’s some really weird lines when it comes to photography at Disney Parks.

How many people take photos of Disney attractions while other people are riding them? Slinky Dog, Everest, Dumbo, Big Thunder....

And photography is certainly allowed at belle’s Storytime and that would include several interactions with other guests.

For that matter... Disney takes photos of guests and all you have to do is scan them onto your photopass if you want a copy of them.... yeah that’s creepy.... but it’s true. Ha.

There are some gray areas to be sure but I think there are some key, specific differences.

I feel like attractions and shows where individuals have volunteered themselves (or the children) to be on a stage or part of a show being given to the public at large are fair game for pictures and videos, so long as your shot is, more or less of the entire show (generally speaking) or certain characters (which may incidentally have others in the shot). I wouldn't love it if someone I didn't know took a picture of my kid in this circumstance, but it is what it is.

Meet and greets are borderline but I think it is, if nothing else, rude, to film or photograph others M&G interactions, particularly relatively up close and/or if you've already done yours. Those interactions while taking place in full view of other people are intended to be more personal. Again, if you are filming/photographing your M&G and you incidentally get some others before or after you in your shot, that is one thing. But to consciously do it for an extended period of time is out of line. The same goes for really videotaping/photographing any other setting where people are expecting at least some quasi-privacy such as eating. If you are filming a walking tour of a restaurant or doing a pan of the ambiance and get some others in your shot, OK, but to focus on a stranger(s), especially kids, or on someone's food is just downright weird. If someone is in the way of something you want to shoot, ask their permission or try again later.

The same general rules and thinking, at least in my book, apply to video/photography on attractions or of the parks or non-guest involved entertainment in general. If you are clearly doing it to just document your trip and not trying to get imagery of anyone specifically without their permission that is one thing. You can't avoid getting people in your shots many times, especially in places like the hub. But to obviously take pictures/video of a stranger without their permission, while technically lawful (unless it runs afoul of Disney's rules), is still disrespectful, at least to me. And that really is the key. Be respectful. Some of you may not mind and some of may have good intentions but others do mind and others do not know your intentions.

Pepper's Ghost

There are some gray areas to be sure but I think there are some key, specific differences.

I feel like attractions and shows where individuals have volunteered themselves (or the children) to be on a stage or part of a show being given to the public at large are fair game for pictures and videos, so long as your shot is, more or less of the entire show (generally speaking) or certain characters (which may incidentally have others in the shot). I wouldn't love it if someone I didn't know took a picture of my kid in this circumstance, but it is what it is.

Meet and greets are borderline but I think it is, if nothing else, rude, to film or photograph others M&G interactions, particularly relatively up close and/or if you've already done yours. Those interactions while taking place in full view of other people are intended to be more personal. Again, if you are filming/photographing your M&G and you incidentally get some others before or after you in your shot, that is one thing. But to consciously do it for an extended period of time is out of line. The same goes for really videotaping/photographing any other setting where people are expecting at least some quasi-privacy such as eating. If you are filming a walking tour of a restaurant or doing a pan of the ambiance and get some others in your shot, OK, but to focus on a stranger(s), especially kids, or on someone's food is just downright weird. If someone is in the way of something you want to shoot, ask their permission or try again later.

The same general rules and thinking, at least in my book, apply to video/photography on attractions or of the parks or non-guest involved entertainment in general. If you are clearly doing it to just document your trip and not trying to get imagery of anyone specifically without their permission that is one thing. You can't avoid getting people in your shots many times, especially in places like the hub. But to obviously take pictures/video of a stranger without their permission, while technically lawful (unless it runs afoul of Disney's rules), is still disrespectful, at least to me. And that really is the key. Be respectful. Some of you may not mind and some of may have good intentions but others do mind and others do not know your intentions.
Let me start by saying I've never done this in general. Gaston isn't exactly a character you're going to see on stage or in a show. I don't care for him, but you take my point. So if you wanted to get video of a character like that, you have no choice but to do it at M&Gs. That said, how could you take video of the character when you're posing for a picture? I'd say that's pretty impossible. Not like they're going to let you stand there for 2 mins filming act while other people wait. You're only given a limited time to say cheese, interact for 10 seconds, and move on. So how do you get video unless it's before or after your turn?

SteamboatJoe

Let me start by saying I've never done this in general. Gaston isn't exactly a character you're going to see on stage or in a show. I don't care for him, but you take my point. So if you wanted to get video of a character like that, you have no choice but to do it at M&Gs. That said, how could you take video of the character when you're posing for a picture? I'd say that's pretty impossible. Not like they're going to let you stand there for 2 mins filming act while other people wait. You're only given a limited time to say cheese, interact for 10 seconds, and move on. So how do you get video unless it's before or after your turn?
I don't really understand the need or desire to take a video of a character, especially one meeting strangers but to each their own I suppose. Ask someone to tape your encounter and/or be respectful and get permission to film someone else's, preferably an adult's....at least if you plan on being relatively close when filming.

TotallyBiased

Hell, if I remember correctly, one of the trips to story time with Belle, EVERYONE'S photos were in our Photopass portfolio.

I'd also add, these character interactions aren't just a static event with repeating dialogue and yadda yadda. They're entertaining and the performance morphs with each guest. It's the kind of thing that is meant to be captured IMO, especially a character like Ghaston..gas...Gaston?

"Remember that trip, where the character was harassing that mom?"
"OMG YEAH That was so funny! Hey I still have the video, check this out."

macefamily

If he was playing the character he wouldn't bring up the "filming" word. There was no filming in the era when Beauty and the Beast was set. So, it's quite apparent, this guy is just a plain who should lose his job because I don't think Disney characters are supposed to judge while on duty. This guy should be doing a B level part for the Medieval Times dinner show.

Incomudro

If he was playing the character he wouldn't bring up the "filming" word. There was no filming in the era when Beauty and the Beast was set. So, it's quite apparent, this guy is just a plain **** who should lose his job because I don't think Disney characters are supposed to judge while on duty. This guy should be doing a B level part for the Medieval Times dinner show.
So, what does he think of those magic devices pointed at him that capture his image and voice?

Pepper's Ghost

So, what does he think of those magic devices pointed at him that capture his image and voice?
Guess you're still right on this one.
cable-guy-eye-roll.gif

champdisney

Yeah, filming other people during their meet n’ greets is not okay. I wouldn’t like it. However, the way Gaston handled it was also in poor taste. To me it looked as if he went out of his way to embarrass the lady, whom was there with her child. That didn’t sit well with me.

Who the hell even likes Gaston to begin with?

Pepper's Ghost

Yeah, filming other people during their meet n’ greets is not okay. I wouldn’t like it. However, the way Gaston handled it was also in poor taste. To me it looked as if he went out of his way to embarrass the lady, whom was there with her child. That didn’t sit well with me.

Who the hell even likes Gaston to begin with?
You covered all bases, but I can agree with every point you made. Although it's creepy to film extended periods of time of a character while meeting other guests, I still struggle with one thing. When it's your turn and you take a picture with the character, how can you possibly get any video of that moment? Cast members assisting the character are willing to take a photo, or even a couple, but won't video you for 30 seconds. I think capturing 15 seconds or so of video of a character isn't a big deal. Videoing other guests for extended periods of time is a tad creepy. In any case, the character was completely inappropriate, and was out of line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom