Is anyone in the wrong here?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Well she says she is recording for her youtube. I don't think I want my kids necessarily on some person's channel. She wasn't in line to meet him, maybe a family from earlier complained who knows. It's people who like this that can make a ban happen.
you are at a theme park. get over it. you were on countless home videos before youtube came along. once you are in a theme park you have no right to complain about being on someone's video.

MmeLeota

I have seen many people thru the years (and know a few personally) that go to the parks alone...if they want a video of a character interacting how else would they do it? They are at a place with Characters, they want video...thats why Disney has signs that you will be recorded when you are in the parks.

Shouldigo12

I have seen many people thru the years (and know a few personally) that go to the parks alone...if they want a video of a character interacting how else would they do it? They are at a place with Characters, they want video...thats why Disney has signs that you will be recorded when you are in the parks.
Are there not photographers at every M&G? I'm sure they could just ask them to hold the camera.

Qscout

However, Disney is not "in public." It's private property and they can make the rules of what can and can't happen

Although it is private property, it is still a public place and anyone visiting can not expect any level of privacy, except in any private areas, resort rooms, restrooms, or other private area.

By being a theme park, albeit within private property and charging admission, it is opening its private land to the public. Under the rules of photography and videography, the owner of the images is the photographer, and anyone in the public areas, can ask for images be removed, but ultimately this is up to the image owner whether they do so or not.

Some meet and greets do happen in private, Mickey and Minne, BB8, princess pavilion, where they are in their own room, so for these you can expect some level of privacy, but for the meet and greets that occur effectively on the sidewalk, they are open for anyone to film or photograph. It is just the decency of the camera operator to decide what is inappropriate. For me personally if I want a picture of a character, I either wait in line, or take a quick snap between guests.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Although it is private property, it is still a public place and anyone visiting can not expect any level of privacy, except in any private areas, resort rooms, restrooms, or other private area.

By being a theme park, albeit within private property and charging admission, it is opening its private land to the public. Under the rules of photography and videography, the owner of the images is the photographer, and anyone in the public areas, can ask for images be removed, but ultimately this is up to the image owner whether they do so or not.

Some meet and greets do happen in private, Mickey and Minne, BB8, princess pavilion, where they are in their own room, so for these you can expect some level of privacy, but for the meet and greets that occur effectively on the sidewalk, they are open for anyone to film or photograph. It is just the decency of the camera operator to decide what is inappropriate. For me personally if I want a picture of a character, I either wait in line, or take a quick snap between guests.
I suppose the key is whether or not those images are for private or commercial use.

Now the debate -- is posting videos on YouTube "commercial use"? For even if the video isn't monetized, if YouTube slaps a commercial in it, does that make it a commercial use?

Qscout

Now the debate -- is posting videos on YouTube "commercial use"? For even if the video isn't monetized, if YouTube slaps a commercial in it, does that make it a commercial use?

And by extension, if you find yourself in a vloggers youtube video, can you send them in invoice for your "appearance" fee? After all they have made money off your actions.

spock8113

He's Gaston, full character. This reminds me of the people who are famous and beg for people to take their pictures B4 their fame. Then once famous they act annoyed and outraged when that same photographer takes their picture, however.................................like the freedoms of speech and expression, these meet and greets are fair game for everyone. Just because the camera was pointed at him doesn't mean they are recording. Many times I will frame up B4 recording and then wait for the right moment.
Personal preconceived boundaries of respect and normal behavior are what we expect, but like the internet, many have no boundaries and no respect for a civil and kind reciprocity. Simply put, do unto others.
Gaston was a jerk but I never "film" other people at meet'n'greets. How's that for sitting on the fence: I should be a politician.......um, no!

drizgirl

Gaston was a jerk but I never "film" other people at meet'n'greets. How's that for sitting on the fence: I should be a politician.......um, no!
No, both things can be true. Gaston should not have stepped in. But I don't agree with filming someone else's meet and greet. That's very different from accidentally catching someone else in the background of a photo around the parks.

Would you film someone else's proposal in the parks? Don't answer. I'm sure some would (not you).

Through the years, I have actually seen CMs casually go stand in front of someone's camera when they are filming someone else's meet and greet. Much better way of handling it. But if Gaston didn't have a CM available to do that, he needed to ignore it that time.

SirWillow

What does @SirWillow have to say since he used to be a park photographer?
Somehow I missed this. Sorry for sort of bumping an old thread.

When I was a photographer, we understood if someone wanted to get photos or pictures of the characters. We'd encourage them to wait in line like everyone else. But if they refused we understood just trying to get a quick photo of the character then moving on. Video for a minute or two, and then move on.

If they were hanging around, or trying to get photos that included other guests, we'd "accidentally" step in the way of their camera while taking our photos and try to block the views of the other guests. yes there is an understanding that if you're at the park you will likely be in other people's photos. But to deliberately take photos/ video of other guests without their permissions is creepy and not appropriate.

Gaston is very much in the right here, and actually doing what his attendant should have done before- asked the guest to take their photo and video and move on. If you want to watch the character for a while, that's fine, but do it without photo/ video and out of the way of the other guests. This lady was out of line.

Oh, and as an addendum, yes I have taken photos/ videos of other guests with characters, generally while I'm in line to meet said characters myself, or in a few other locations. I always let them know- before hand if possible, or absolutely afterwards, explain that I took the photos and video, why I did, offer them a business card and write where I will upload it if they want to see it, and offer to delete it on the spot if they would like me to.

I've only had one request I delete it. Most are really excited about the free extra photos or the video clip. But I try to make sure it's always done appropriately. Not everyone does or understands or respects other people's privacy.

The_Jobu

A lady films Gaston at the meet and great whilst he interacts with other guests she doesn't know. When he sees her he approaches her and says "You're recording people that you don't know, it's not something that we do here, it's not ok". After a very long awkward silence whilst she laughs and continues filming him, he says "My dear I'm asking you a favour, would you not record people you don't know".

He then walks over to a CM and points at the lady filming and she approaches and in a very friendly way asks the lady if she's waiting to meet Gaston. Gaston is now seen talking to the photographer and then says out loud "Me I understand, people she doesn't know it just gets weird"

Personally I find it weird that she's filming him with people she doesn't know, but I don't think she's breaking any rules? I think when he initially speaks to her she should have stopped filming if for no other reason than the family with Gaston look uncomfortable with her filming them.

I'm not sure that walking over to her and staring at her in an awkward silence was the best thing to do, though you could argue that he was staying in character? The CM was super nice to her which makes me think she probably knew there was little she could do, but I do find it odd that the lady filming continues throughout whilst just laughing and ignoring all requests?

At the end the text all says she did nothing wrong, that Gaston was a jerk and even the photographer told her Gaston was a jerk off camera which I don't believe for one second. Was anyone in the wrong here, I think the woman filming was morally wrong but perhaps not technically doing anything wrong?

Hmmm, I get where the lady is coming from. Gaston is funny with guests, so she was hoping to capture some of the comedy. But I see where Gaston is coming from too, it's kinda weird if you and your kids are having a moment with Gaston and a stranger is zooming in and recording you.

All that said, you cant expect any privacy at the most popular theme park in the world, so officially she's done nothing wrong, but I would consider this a big "social faux pas".

So I guess I wasted all your time and didn't give a straight answer. Too late now, you cant go back and un-read this. I just stole 15 seconds of your time, and I'd do it again.

NickMaio

Somehow I missed this. Sorry for sort of bumping an old thread.

When I was a photographer, we understood if someone wanted to get photos or pictures of the characters. We'd encourage them to wait in line like everyone else. But if they refused we understood just trying to get a quick photo of the character then moving on. Video for a minute or two, and then move on.

If they were hanging around, or trying to get photos that included other guests, we'd "accidentally" step in the way of their camera while taking our photos and try to block the views of the other guests. yes there is an understanding that if you're at the park you will likely be in other people's photos. But to deliberately take photos/ video of other guests without their permissions is creepy and not appropriate.

Gaston is very much in the right here, and actually doing what his attendant should have done before- asked the guest to take their photo and video and move on. If you want to watch the character for a while, that's fine, but do it without photo/ video and out of the way of the other guests. This lady was out of line.

Oh, and as an addendum, yes I have taken photos/ videos of other guests with characters, generally while I'm in line to meet said characters myself, or in a few other locations. I always let them know- before hand if possible, or absolutely afterwards, explain that I took the photos and video, why I did, offer them a business card and write where I will upload it if they want to see it, and offer to delete it on the spot if they would like me to.

I've only had one request I delete it. Most are really excited about the free extra photos or the video clip. But I try to make sure it's always done appropriately. Not everyone does or understands or respects other people's privacy.
This used to be common sense.........not so much anymore with every Tom, Dick and Jane having a YouTube channel.
It's Pathetic from the me,me,me people.

Pepper's Ghost

And you're going to ignore in this thread the example of how every family records a group of children at Jedi Academy and no one at Disney stops them, including the Jedi CMs? These videos wind up on YouTube.
So, I didn't realize I was creepy. Somewhere between 2005-2008 I happened across the very first time I ever saw the Pirate Tutorial skit with Jack Sparra'. It wasn't well known then, I think maybe even brand new. Anyway, I caught the very end of it by chance. Being a huge fan of POTC: The Black Pearl, I had to come back to the next "training" to video some of it. Of course this was before everyone put these things on Youtube, but I wanted to video the characters, not the kids. I had no kids, but it was a funny skit and I wanted to have at least a short video to remember it. Sure, there were kids and adults as part of the skit. I'd have preferred it was just the characters, but having the video of the moment because other people are in it makes me creepy now? Never realized. I've never been called creepy in my life.

tinkhag6

A lady films Gaston at the meet and great whilst he interacts with other guests she doesn't know. When he sees her he approaches her and says "You're recording people that you don't know, it's not something that we do here, it's not ok". After a very long awkward silence whilst she laughs and continues filming him, he says "My dear I'm asking you a favour, would you not record people you don't know".

He then walks over to a CM and points at the lady filming and she approaches and in a very friendly way asks the lady if she's waiting to meet Gaston. Gaston is now seen talking to the photographer and then says out loud "Me I understand, people she doesn't know it just gets weird"

Personally I find it weird that she's filming him with people she doesn't know, but I don't think she's breaking any rules? I think when he initially speaks to her she should have stopped filming if for no other reason than the family with Gaston look uncomfortable with her filming them.

I'm not sure that walking over to her and staring at her in an awkward silence was the best thing to do, though you could argue that he was staying in character? The CM was super nice to her which makes me think she probably knew there was little she could do, but I do find it odd that the lady filming continues throughout whilst just laughing and ignoring all requests?

At the end the text all says she did nothing wrong, that Gaston was a jerk and even the photographer told her Gaston was a jerk off camera which I don't believe for one second. Was anyone in the wrong here, I think the woman filming was morally wrong but perhaps not technically doing anything wrong?

2 instances my daughter was photographed by other people. The one time we were meeting cinderella at crt. My daughter had this brand new Christmas time Belle dress that was limited edition. The lady behind us was just loving my daughter dress. When she went to take her picture with Cinderella the lady behind us snap a picture of my daughter. We didn't say anything and either did any cast members. A couple years later my daughter was taking photo in Germany with Snow White and this lady came over and took a picture of my daughter and Snow White. The cast member that assisted Snow White yelled at her and said if you are not part of the family please do not take a picture.

mergatroid

Original Poster
People have been filming those star wars academy things forever. If it's allowed there why wouldn't it be allowed with other guest and character interactions?
Well there is that I agree. However there's a slight subtle difference in my humble opinion which is with the academy they're kind of saying "Do you want to get up on stage in front of a crowd to battle Darth Vader" whereas meeting Gaston is a more of a 'personal experience' and not on a stage designed to be viewed by people. I'm not saying you're wrong and certainly both are held in public with little to no expectation of privacy. However that little difference could be used to separate the two scenarios to a small degree.

TokyoMiki

But likewise somebody with 666 tattooed on their forehead with their girlfriend or boyfriend on a leash is all those things(creepy, odd, weird and or annoying) but would you object to that and speak out about it?

Absolutely,

I'd pull a Zenyatta Mondatta and tell that freak: "Don't stand so close to me"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom