Is AAA gaming facing a reckoning? Maybe a crash?

Is AAA gaming facing a possible crash?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Mike S

Original Poster
It will be very interesting to see the impact, if any, this has on the industry. It's definitely going down as the worst game/studio failure in gaming history. Will any of them listen to what the fans are telling them? Or will they carry on making slop like concord and then blame the fans as the reason it failed?

The last two generations have been bad. ps4/Xbox one and ps5/series, both generation were very weak compared to the two generation before those. As long as every game developers main focus is trying to get the next live service phenomenon, things are just going to get worse. They need the remasters and re-releases to offset the losses from all the failures. Concord is just the cherry on a huge crap sunday. And anthem, gothem knights, suicide squad, skull and bones, avengers, redfall... Are the sprinkles.

The studios are looking for the constant revenue stream, and reviving old franchises will only give them a small win here and there. It's really no different than the clown show that's running Disney now. The future doesn't matter, it's all about right now, let the next guy worry about it. Embracing your legacy only works for Nintendo apparently. So many video game companies have amazing games that have been dormant for 20 or 30 or more years. Look no further than Sega. Two of modern gamings biggest franchises came from this very thing. Bethesda revived fallout from a 2d isometric game. And Ubisoft, while technically assassin's Creed wasn't a revived franchise, Prince of Persia was. And that became a decent success that lead to the creation of Assassins creed with it's tech.
One could argue that the PS4 was a definitive success for Sony from the consumers perspective. It’s the PS5 where their community is starting to turn on them. Problem is, there isn’t an Xbox 360 for that community to turn to like with the PS3 way back when. Sony is only going to get worse from here.

erasure fan1

One could argue that the PS4 was a definitive success for Sony from the consumers perspective.
Whoops missed this. It was a success from a PR standpoint for sure. I was really coming at it from a games standpoint. PS4 did well from a units sold standpoint. But didn't really move things forward that much in my opinion. The biggest problems was Xbox pooped the bed giving Sony no competition. I'm hard pressed to remember something that was a breakout hits that came from last gen outside of remakes and sequels. The biggest thing was battle royal. Otherwise there was Spiderman, elden ring, horizon, ghost of Tsushima maybe? I'd have to dig through the releases but those are what I can think of off the top of my head.
Ubisoft really looking like a fish flopping around on land lately.
And worse the game was delayed until February I believe. They're in some trouble for sure. It's what happens when you become complacent in what you're doing. They've done almost nothing really new. They've taken the formula from the AC games and now everything is that same loop. AC, Farcry, immortal Phoenix rising, star wars... Even skull and bones was just the ship system from black flag. And the funny part was, black flag 2 was the one sequel most everyone wanted. Like most of the AA and AAA game developers, they are out of touch with what gamers want or don't care. And that's really starting to catch up with the industry.

Mike S

Original Poster
Whoops missed this. It was a success from a PR standpoint for sure. I was really coming at it from a games standpoint. PS4 did well from a units sold standpoint. But didn't really move things forward that much in my opinion. The biggest problems was Xbox pooped the bed giving Sony no competition. I'm hard pressed to remember something that was a breakout hits that came from last gen outside of remakes and sequels. The biggest thing was battle royal. Otherwise there was Spiderman, elden ring, horizon, ghost of Tsushima maybe? I'd have to dig through the releases but those are what I can think of off the top of my head.
I was speaking from a game perspective. People really liked the PS4 to the point that most still play it lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom