Is a guide worth the money for a family that's never been?

I always feel it is best for newbies to go with another family that are veterans of the parks. Sometimes places are more magical when you experience things for yourself on your own. It will be easy to tell which rides are the necessary ones once you get there. If not cast members love helping new visitors. The only thing you may miss out on are dinner reservations. You need to ask an experienced Disney diehard about the restaurant situation. Have fun .

Upvote 0

SteveW

Another good guide book is Birnbaum's Walt Disney World. And as Respect the Walt said, talk to others about WDW....even here on WDWMAGIC. Also check out YouTube and Netflix for Disney related videos about the parks,rides, DME from the airport, dining, etc. How far out is your trip? Are you staying on site? You should also check out the restaurants and if possible, start making reservations ASAP. But most importantly, relax and have fun!

Upvote 0

CinderellyKelly

IMHO if you do your research ahead of time you shouldn't need a tour guide. The books that are mentioned above are amazing and super helpful. You are already checking out things on this fantastic site, so you should be golden! Wake up early and take advantage of the parks when they first open, you can ride lots of things before the rest of the World wakes up! Have fun and dont be afraid to ask for advice!! :)

Upvote 0

MerMom1981

I bought the Birbaum's guide to plan my recent visit (my first visit) and it was my Disney bible! They have a one-day and half-day schedule for each park which gives you a great place to start. They cover every ride, every dining option, every resort... everything. Don't hire a guide. Buy the book & ask your new friends from WDWmagic for advice!

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

Having an experienced tour guide is an amazing experience. Along with just knowing where the crowds will be (and won't) and helping with a touring plan, a tour guide is also your insider to history and stories about the parks. Plus, a good tour guide will also act as your personal assistant while touring - taking family photos with your camera, standing in line for snacks, etc.

That said, it's not a cheap experience, whether you use and independent tour guide or one of Disney's official guides. But if you have the means, or are looking to do something extra special (whether your first trip or a repeat vacation), it can definitely make a good vacation an amazing one.

Short of hiring your own guide, definitely pick up one of the guide books. I personally like the Unofficial Guide, because of it's completeness. I also recommend this website, especially the forums, because you can ask questions and get answers and opinions. I also suggest AllEars.net, because they keep things updated pretty well and have a wealth of info as well.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I don't know if hiring a guide would be a way I would go, I would rather use my $$ on other stuff. I really like the Passporter guide and have given it is to a couple of newbies and they reported back that it was really helpful.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While I have never hired an actual tour guide - I have a friend who hires one through Disney for at least one day of each of their WDW visits. They are DVC members and have been going to WDW at least once every other year since they were in young kids. Still, even as very seasoned visitors- they find this expense to be a worthwhile one. Me on the other hand...it's a very pricey thing to tack on to your trip. I know it's overwhelming if you've never been, but getting a good guide book- asking tons of ?s on forums -digging up info online through various websites and youtube vids - etc. can make this a less daunting thing. After all - it should be fun :) plus, that $ you could sink into a tour guide could be used for things to enhance your trip like dining, tours, souvenirs, etc. :)

Upvote 0

Confused25

Banned
Original Poster
I know how you feel...my sister used an agency that also did introductory tours. It was much less expensive than the ones where someone stays with your family all day. They were also able to do some of the restaurants they couldn't get reservations for with the tour group. She said it was really worth it! At Your Service Travel and Tours.

I went to the website and was wondering if you your sister did the full tour or just booked days?
I really want to do the fireworks cruise.

Upvote 0

Confused25

Banned
Original Poster
You should also check out the restaurants and if possible, start making reservations ASAP.
7d1.jpg

We are going in Sept. and it look like some of the restaurant we were hoping to dine in are booked?
Any suggestions for some good ones that might be available? We really wanted to go to 'Ohana's and I can't get
anything!!!!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We are going in Sept. and it look like some of the restaurant we were hoping to dine in are booked?
Any suggestions for some good ones that might be available? We really wanted to go to 'Ohana's and I can't get
anything!!!!

Ohana's is one of the hardest to get reservations on property. All you can do is keep trying and hope for a cancellation. Real late and real early hours are your best bet.

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

Back in '02, my then 12 year old DS was purusing one of the guide books and suggested we take Grandma to Liberty Tree Tavern for her 75th birthday. We have no problem getting a late dinner reservation, the kids (mine and their cousins) were 12, 9, 7 and 5 had a blast and when we finished dinner and got outside, the fireworks were just about to begin. It was a perfect evening and we would have never thought to go there, if my son had read about it (now we go there EVERY trip). Of course, today, there is more access to information online than there probably was 11 years ago, but I think having a guidebook is helpful, even for park veterans, especially since there is such much new stuff that opened recently.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

When we returned in 2007, I bought Birnbaum's. they have a very nice book just for kids that is an excellent resource! I do enjoy the free advice from here of course.:D Also check out all ears.net.:)

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

If I had the money to blow.... sure why not, but do you really need a guide? ... NO. Do your home work, read the guide books, search the internet sites, educate yourself about how to do it right, get the best tips/ info HERE, and youll be all set. Your first time gets you primed for other visits so dont worry about missing some things. once you get your first trip behind you, youre ready to improve on the next and the next and the next and the next.....

Upvote 0

CtDisneyGuy33

I wouldn't. You can gather great info on here and throughout the web. Honestly, researching the different parks/rides/restaurants is half the fun (the other is enjoying them) to me. The books are ok, but to me, the insight on the websites is just as good or better.

I've gone many times and always hear of new things on here.

Best advice: Order the free DVD of going to the parks! You get a feel for the parks and its relatively up to date. Its so much fun to sit and watch the dvd no matter if its a first / 100th time. Just Google Disney Vacation DVD and it comes up.

Enjoy the research!

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've been thinking about getting a local tour guide to help with our visit.
I'm really overwhelmed by the 4 parks and which attractions to stand in line for.

Not for the attractions themselves... but for help guiding/planning where to eat, where to go, etc.. yes. And the Unoffical Guide and others help with that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom