Is a guide worth the money for a family that's never been?

LostPrincessKarleigh

I have never had a tour guide at WDW (but I have been going since I was 5.) Definately check out the Birnbuam's book (they have a kid's edition, too!) and read up on this forum.
Also, know that you won't be able to do EVERYTHING WDW has to offer in one trip. I have been 9 times and still have a list of things I want to do! Do a little research and try to get everyone in your group (kids too) to make a list of 5 things they really want to do or see on your trip. This can range from seeing the Wishes! Fireworks Spectacular in MK to meeting Rapunzel to riding SM until you throwup! (Which is hard because 1. lines and 2. it doesn't flip or anything)
Hope this helps and have a great trip!

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

I went to the world twice as a child but, went as an adult for the first time in 09'. It was overwhelming but, as everyone says there is a wealth of info out there. I personally joined 4 forums, (only use this one now;)) read the unofficial guide & Birnbaums cover to cover, read the Mom's panel, & did lots of research. We had a great time & an even better time this past September & we felt like pros. Our next trip is in December & I'm on here almost everyday looking for more info.

Upvote 0

gostone23

Not sure about the value of a tour guide but we always make the planning and investigation of whats new part of the trip. It helps us to get all hopped up about our vacation.

We get the latest Passporter's Guide to WDW and start planning out what we're goign to do months out. Between that an dweb research and booking ADR's early our vacation basically starts when we get the book.

The research and discovery add to the vacation experience.

-robert

Upvote 0

Confused25

Banned
Original Poster
Thanks everyone!
I confirmed my trip today and added the guided tour!
We won't be able to go back year after year and want to do as much as possible.
It was more affordable than I thought and the agency that was suggested At Your Service Travel and Tours were great to work with.

Upvote 0

luv

No idea. Never hired a guide. I doubt they're worth it, honestly.

If you want to do your own planning, touringplans.com and this site are both very helpful. The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World is far and away the most comprehensive and informative book around.

We don't get enough newbie questions around here, I don't think. Please ask them when you have them!!!

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Birnbaums and Unofficial are an absolute must IMO for first timers. Go on Amazon and buy used copies if you do not want to spend the money on new. There are tons of resources online as well but I always like thumbing through a good old paperback and using the antiquated Highliter technique to gather information and let it settle into the gray matter. No matter what you will have a blast but to get the most of the parks especialy with the reservations and Fastpass systems in place do your homework.

Upvote 0

armyfamilyof5

I wish we'd had a someone to help us the first time we went because we did not know the parks at all and spent a lot of time wondering around not knowing where we are going. I would suggest joining tourplans.com and reviewing some of their touring plans. While on your trip you can call the day of and get reservations due to cancellations on occasion. Yak N Yeti sit down in AK is usually easy to book (sometimes easy to do a walk up if you go when they first open), same thing for Coral Reef at Epcot. Ragland Road and HOB in DTD are also great food and easier to get reservations. What does Disney charge for guides?

Upvote 0

Disney Diva

Banned
Thanks everyone!
I confirmed my trip today and added the guided tour!
We won't be able to go back year after year and want to do as much as possible.
It was more affordable than I thought and the agency that was suggested At Your Service Travel and Tours were great to work with.

I'm glad they were able to help!

Upvote 0

luv

Maybe I should go into the park tour business. I'll walk around the parks with you if you pay me. Heck, I sometimes do the park tour thing for free with house guests. :)

Upvote 0

SJFPKT

This thread seems like a thinly veiled attempt at advertising a start-up company. Two people that just joined Monday and then the company they are talking about just joined Facebook in June, just got issued it's domain name in May and has no reviews anywhere on Google. Doesn't seem quite right if you ask me.

Upvote 0

Confused25

Banned
Original Poster
I wish we'd had a someone to help us the first time we went because we did not know the parks at all and spent a lot of time wondering around not knowing where we are going. I would suggest joining tourplans.com and reviewing some of their touring plans. While on your trip you can call the day of and get reservations due to cancellations on occasion. Yak N Yeti sit down in AK is usually easy to book (sometimes easy to do a walk up if you go when they first open), same thing for Coral Reef at Epcot. Ragland Road and HOB in DTD are also great food and easier to get reservations. What does Disney charge for guides?

We have booked Coral Reef and I will look into Yak n Yeti...thanks
Disney's private VIP tour guides were very expensive. We are going to use a local company.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Disney's private VIP tour guides were very expensive. We are going to use a local company.

Books are ok, websites are better (and there are ton of them), forums are great (and there are a ton of them, though only a few big very active ones)...but, a VIP guide (or any guide)...not necessary. Ever.

Upvote 0

Future Imagineer

I've been thinking about getting a local tour guide to help with our visit.
I'm really overwhelmed by the 4 parks and which attractions to stand in line for.
I think you have to get at least 2 books from Birnabaun (did I spell that right?). 1 called Walt Disney World. 2nd is Walt Disney World For Kids! these books are really great

Upvote 0

dopeylover

If you can afford it and would find it valuable, I would hire a guide right from WDW, but I cannot stress enough that I don't think that's neccessary, no matter how much money you have. Birnbaums and the UnOfficial Guide are more than enough to help you! I buy them even though I've been 13 times just because there's new stuff all the time, but mostly b/c it's just another way to get me psyched for my trip!

If it really will make you feel more comfortable, do it, but I think between the aforementioned books and this site, you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

armyfamilyof5

Our oldest is a student at UCF, she has thought about doing tours for an hourly wage and we were just curious. We've been AP holders for years and vacationed here twice a year since she was 9 or so, we know the parks like the back of our hands and often talk about the times we wondered around lost looking for things etc... She stalks these boards too but would never post, LOL! I told her she should consider it as she has Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday free this school year and it's hard to find a part time job when you cannot work on Mondays no matter what! Does it pay more than $10 an hour I wonder....

Upvote 0

gwhb75

You may also want to invest in the lines app from touringplans.com. They have customizable touring plans that can be updated in real time. Here's a link to the website: http://touringplans.com/disney-world-app. The subscription costs around $12 for a year and includes crowd calendars, etc. From what I understand it is the best app to have to maximize your time at the parks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom