Irene

redfive13

Based on the hurricane's path and timing... do you think flights from Boston to Orlando on Saturday AM will be affected? They can just fly above it, right?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
No they definitely won't fly over a cat 3 hurricane. The tops of that storm are going up 40 - 50000ft. A commercial airlines goes up to around 30,000ft.

They will route around it.

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

I will be going to WDW in Sept of next year for my honeymoon, seeing how the hurricane could effect florida in the next few days and its not even Sept. yet. my question is has anyone travled to WDW at the end of Sept. and was there hurricane warnings?

Upvote 0

wendysue

I will be going to WDW in Sept of next year for my honeymoon, seeing how the hurricane could effect florida in the next few days and its not even Sept. yet. my question is has anyone travled to WDW at the end of Sept. and was there hurricane warnings?

We have gone several times during Sept. and October and have never had a problem with hurricanes. We are going This year at the end of Sept. I'm sure it will be fine. It's a great time of year to go.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

September and October are the peak periods.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In nearly 40 years of operation WDW has been closed a grand total of 2 days due to hurricanes. I would not worry about it for a second.

Upvote 0

draybook

Our first trip in 08 was around September 8nd-16th, or something like that. There was a hurricane that was projected to hit the eastern seaboard and my wife and her parents were freaked out. Two days before we left it turned towards the Gulf. I told my wife and in laws, "we're going no matter what". We're going again in 10 days and will be leaving on the 15th. I have no concerns over the weather. We've been in September, March and December and we have seen rain once, and that lasted just the time we were riding IASW.

Upvote 0

tink65

We've traveled to WDW toward the end of September almost every year since 1997. Only had to change travel plans 1 time due to hurricanes in all that time! Checking in on the 24th of Sept this year.....hope I haven't just jinxed myself! LOL

Upvote 0

Lucky

We've gone 7 times during hurricane season. Once (2004) we circled MCO for an hour waiting for it to re-open after a hurricane went through. Otherwise, we haven't been affected.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Based on the hurricane's path and timing... do you think flights from Boston to Orlando on Saturday AM will be affected? They can just fly above it, right?

what I would do is call your airline, the morning of your departure. See if the flight has been delayed or cancelled. Many times, if there is a storm system in the air, they will fly around it, however a hurricane, although they can fly above and/or around it, they worry about wind shear, on the most extreme of conditions. If by chance, your flight is cancelled, just call disney, give them your flight info and they will take care of it. If your airline is OK with your scheduled flight, I wouldnt worry. You will get to disney safely :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I would watch your airlines. Some are issuing travel waivers meaning you can change your flight without penalty if you are in one of the affected areas.

We are flying out of DC on Sunday and it's not looking good. United has a travel waiver for those flying to the Caribbean, but nothing for traveling on Saturday and Sunday yet.

I'm watching their site though, and if they announce it, I'm definitely switching to Saturday morning.

Upvote 0

Disney05

If you check flightaware.com you can see airlines cruise between 35,000-40,000 feet. But it's the winds on the ground you have to worry about. Landing in strong gusty winds makes landing dangerous. Being a pilot and working at an airport, I would suggest you start checking with your carrier.

Upvote 0

afavr001

I know there has been a lot of discussion about leaving from the New England region but any advice on flying in? We leave tomorrow and return to VT on Monday night. My husband and I are trying to decide whether or not to just stay another night in Disney or just chance it and hope we don't get stuck in the airport over night. Anyone have any advice?

Upvote 0

marcriss

We were in Disney 5 or 6 years ago during a hurricane. Disney was great. We got stuck for 3 extra days (the airport closed) and they charged us a special hurricane rate. They did close the parks the main day and we were confined to our rooms for the better part of the day. Eventually they opened the Galley restaurant in The YC and we had a great buffet dinner there. They stationed carts w/ bag lunches at the elevators. It was pretty interesting. The parks were empty the next day.

To afavr001:

I'd rebook your airline now if you can. As soon as flights start canceling it's going to be hard to get a flight. That's how we wound up with an extra 3 days.

Upvote 0

need2go2wdw

We were there in Sept 2004 just as hurricane Frances was going over Florida. We drove from MI and happened to be the only car on the highway-both directions-since crossing the GA/FL border...we also happened to be getting into Orlando just as the worst of the storm was passing over Orlando. A SS CM checked us in as quickly as he could and had us go straight to our rooms as a mandatory curfew was in place and everything was closed, including the parks. Luckily, we had brought food with us since we drove! We stayed in our room the rest of the day. The next morning we went to MK and the place was a ghost town! The rest of the week was pretty much the same.

Moral of the story...go to WDW just as a hurricane is leaving or has went by...you will have the parks all to yourself!!! lol :drevil:

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We were there in Sept 2004 just as hurricane Frances was going over Florida. We drove from MI and happened to be the only car on the highway-both directions-since crossing the GA/FL border...we also happened to be getting into Orlando just as the worst of the storm was passing over Orlando. A SS CM checked us in as quickly as he could and had us go straight to our rooms as a mandatory curfew was in place and everything was closed, including the parks. Luckily, we had brought food with us since we drove! We stayed in our room the rest of the day. The next morning we went to MK and the place was a ghost town! The rest of the week was pretty much the same.

Moral of the story...go to WDW just as a hurricane is leaving or has went by...you will have the parks all to yourself!!! lol :drevil:

Exactly my plan! :D

It's looking like the outer edge of the projected track will bring Irene to Ottawa around Tuesday [though likely much weakened by then]. Even better reason to be in WDW! :king:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom