Interview with Bob Iger about the Parks

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Not counting outside America stuff and Everest (even though, I personally do count outside America stuff, many people here don't for some reason):
1. soarin over the world
2. rivers of light
3. miss adventure falls
4. space restaurant (arguable)
5. mission space new non barf mode green mission (arguable)
And here are all the non-IPs that Iger has somehow overlooked to change to IP...
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Jungle Cruise
  • It's a Small World
  • Country Bear
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Speedway
  • Peoplemover
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Space Mountain
  • BTM Railroad
  • Living with the Land
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Tower of Terror
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris and all the animal exhibits
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Test Track
  • RnRC
  • TriceraTop Spin
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Journey into Imagination
  • Mission Space

C'mon Bob! You don't have much time left to turn all these into Disney Movie IP-based attractions!!

MickeyMinnieMom

Advertisement
Why? It makes no sense to be overly concerned with people who are described as not caring or not bothering to think about something. There is obviously something that still attracts those visitors.
The “masses” need to see something that attracts them to the parks to begin with — IP is an obvious, honest-to-goodness synergistic way to get there easily. If they theme / set that IP correctly and execute well, (nearly) everyone is happy. That’s my thinking on balance, personally.

Now if they get an “F” on theme from diehards but execute well, they’re still serving the vast majority very well. Not at all obvious that this is a bad business move. How many REALLY stay away because of theme being messed up in their view? Some, I’m sure. But attendance seems pretty solid. If anything, it’s too high.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

True but I wonder if the average goer, see FEA and says "that doesn't belong" in world showcase. Are they flipping out because they now see IP in Epcot?
So what? Again, they [seemingly] don’t care but are still visiting “boring” Epcot instead of Islands of Adventure.

The “masses” need to see something that attracts them to the parks to begin with — IP is an obvious, honest-to-goodness synergistic way to get there easily. If they theme / set that IP correctly and execute well, (nearly) everyone is happy. That’s my thinking on balance, personally.

Now if they get an “F” on theme from diehards but execute well, they’re still serving the vast majority very well. Not at all obvious that this is a bad business move. How many REALLY stay away because of theme being messed up in their view? Some, I’m sure. But attendance seems pretty solid. If anything, it’s too high.
Poorly executed parks like Disney’s California Adventure and Walt Disney Studios Park have failed to attract and audience. The parks built around movies have had to have significant reinvestment and still do not draw the crowds of parks that are less focused on these “obvious” draws.

MickeyMinnieMom

Poorly executed parks like Disney’s California Adventure and Walt Disney Studios Park have failed to attract and audience. The parks built around movies have had to have significant reinvestment and still do not draw the crowds of parks that are less focused on these “obvious” draws.
I’d give this some time, at least where DHS is concerned. And movie IP is all over MK.

Now, as a counterpoint, IP has KILLED the bird show in AK, but Pandora is a plus for AK... Hits and misses... (though the bird show issue should have been obvious... we now have a bird show with a conspicuous shortage of birds...)

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
So what? Again, they [seemingly] don’t care but are still visiting “boring” Epcot instead of Islands of Adventure.

So then why is epcot with no movie focus such a abysmal cluster $%$
Whether ip based or not all parks need updating and relevance

lazyboy97o

I’d give this some time, at least where DHS is concerned. And movie IP is all over MK.

Now, as a counterpoint, IP has KILLED the bird show in AK, but Pandora is a plus for AK... Hits and misses... (though the bird show issue should have been obvious... we now have a bird show with a conspicuous shortage of birds...)
All of the hopes and dreams for Disney’s Hollywood Studios are built around one cultural phenomenon so obvious the land was essentially demanded by Wall St. There is only one Star Wars; it is not a strategy for many parks around the world. If anything is close to Star Wars at the moment it would be Marvel.

Since business is so important, Pandora was a far worse investment than Expedition Everest.

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

Except for the theme park rights East of the Mississippi River to some of its biggest characters, who are at a park along with Jurassic Park, Dr. Seuss and Harry Potter. A park that should “obviously” be doing far more business due to its highly popular movie franchises.
Not sure what you’re arguing with at this point.

I’ve said numerous times that it’s IP + theme integration + execution, IMO.

You’re arguing that a movie catalogue alone doesn’t equate with theme park success. No one said anything to the contrary, unless I missed it.

Inspired Figment

• Journey Into Imagination with Figment
Hate to correct you. But the current incarnation actually Is an IP based attraction now. An old and irrelevant one at that. But still, The “Honey, I Shrunk” franchise. Hence why it’s completely themed off Honey, I Shrunk the Audience’s Imagination Institute with Dr. Channing. I’m constantly shocked by the amount of people that don’t catch this.

larryz

Gold Star Duck
Premium Member
Here's what I see coming, based on Iger's tweet:
  • Enchanted Tiki Kree Room
  • Wakanda Jungle Cruise
  • It's a Small Marvel World
  • Country Bear Superhero Jamboree
  • Hall of Presidents Marvel Heroes.
  • Captain Marvel's Speedway
  • Captain Marvel Peoplemover
  • Haunted Mansion House of Vanquished Enemies
  • Superheroes Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Carousel of Progress Marvel Heroes
  • Space Mountain Heroes
  • BTM Big Thor's Marvel Railroad
  • Living with the Land Captain Marvel
  • Spaceship Earth Avengers
  • Tower of Terror Superheroes
  • Superhero Astro Orbiter
  • Captain Marvel Kilimanjaro Safaris and all the animal exhibits
  • Kali River Avenger Rapids
  • Test Track Captain Marvel's Wild Ride
  • RnRChaitauri Coaster
  • TriceraTop Kree Spin
  • Primeval Inhuman Whirl
  • Journey into Imagination Know Where
  • Mission Space Rescue Iron Man

wdisney9000

And what fits is subjective to some degree as well. That’s what I was saying. Some
Will look at GotG in Epcot and think “huh... future world... space... Guardians of the Galaxy... good enough!!” It’ll feel to them like it “fits”. Others will think that’s way too loose. (Side point, but I’d bet most won’t think about it at all, honestly.)
When executed properly, theme should pervade the mind. It falls upon the creator to envoke that.

Disney is capable of creating a product that does that not force a guest to come to the realization of theme being present via a conclusion born of "huh...good enough".

egg

The banshees in the Flight of Passage gift shop have had unforeseen success. Do you think people are shelling out $50 for a puppet toy based off of a recollection of, much less sentiment for, the banshees in the decade-old film? No. It is almost entirely the well-crafted attraction that sells you on a previously unfamiliar character. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of a theme park attraction succeeding as an independent medium of storytelling. It’s hard to fathom that Bob doesn’t understand this. How can one legitimately attribute a ten year old’s GSATs/purchases to a PG-13 film that came and left ten years ago?

Imagineering could create more of these successes if they were given the creative freedom to do so, as they were in the past. The mandated inclusion of IP is often hindering.

Brer Oswald

The banshees in the Flight of Passage gift shop have had unforeseen success. Do you think people are shelling out $50 for a puppet toy based off of a recollection of, much less sentiment for, the banshees in the decade-old film? No. It is almost entirely the well-crafted attraction that sells you on a previously unfamiliar character. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of a theme park attraction succeeding as an independent medium of storytelling. I‘d like to imagine Bob understands this to a degree. I mean how can one legitimately attribute a ten year old’s GSATs/purchases to a PG-13 film that came and left ten years ago?

Imagineering could create more of these successes if they were given the creative freedom to do so, as they were in the past. The mandated inclusion of IP is often hindering.
The fact that the IP is most generally modern IP is probably what’s most problematic about this. But that aside, you bring up a lot of great points. They “tricked” me into buying an LE Banshee, and I don’t really care for the film!

Agardini51

And here are all the non-IPs that Iger has somehow overlooked to change to IP...
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Jungle Cruise
  • It's a Small World
  • Country Bear
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Speedway
  • Peoplemover
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Space Mountain
  • BTM Railroad
  • Living with the Land
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Tower of Terror
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris and all the animal exhibits
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Test Track
  • RnRC
  • TriceraTop Spin
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Journey into Imagination
  • Mission Space

C'mon Bob! You don't have much time left to turn all these into Disney Movie IP-based attractions!!
Well, technically 3 of those have movies around them now. Pirates of the Caribbean, haunted mansion and tower of terror.

Top Bottom