Interview with Bob Iger about the Parks

MickeyMinnieMom

Except for the theme park rights East of the Mississippi River to some of its biggest characters, who are at a park along with Jurassic Park, Dr. Seuss and Harry Potter. A park that should “obviously” be doing far more business due to its highly popular movie franchises.
Not sure what you’re arguing with at this point.

I’ve said numerous times that it’s IP + theme integration + execution, IMO.

You’re arguing that a movie catalogue alone doesn’t equate with theme park success. No one said anything to the contrary, unless I missed it.

Inspired Figment

• Journey Into Imagination with Figment
Hate to correct you. But the current incarnation actually Is an IP based attraction now. An old and irrelevant one at that. But still, The “Honey, I Shrunk” franchise. Hence why it’s completely themed off Honey, I Shrunk the Audience’s Imagination Institute with Dr. Channing. I’m constantly shocked by the amount of people that don’t catch this.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Here's what I see coming, based on Iger's tweet:
  • Enchanted Tiki Kree Room
  • Wakanda Jungle Cruise
  • It's a Small Marvel World
  • Country Bear Superhero Jamboree
  • Hall of Presidents Marvel Heroes.
  • Captain Marvel's Speedway
  • Captain Marvel Peoplemover
  • Haunted Mansion House of Vanquished Enemies
  • Superheroes Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Carousel of Progress Marvel Heroes
  • Space Mountain Heroes
  • BTM Big Thor's Marvel Railroad
  • Living with the Land Captain Marvel
  • Spaceship Earth Avengers
  • Tower of Terror Superheroes
  • Superhero Astro Orbiter
  • Captain Marvel Kilimanjaro Safaris and all the animal exhibits
  • Kali River Avenger Rapids
  • Test Track Captain Marvel's Wild Ride
  • RnRChaitauri Coaster
  • TriceraTop Kree Spin
  • Primeval Inhuman Whirl
  • Journey into Imagination Know Where
  • Mission Space Rescue Iron Man

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And what fits is subjective to some degree as well. That’s what I was saying. Some
Will look at GotG in Epcot and think “huh... future world... space... Guardians of the Galaxy... good enough!!” It’ll feel to them like it “fits”. Others will think that’s way too loose. (Side point, but I’d bet most won’t think about it at all, honestly.)
When executed properly, theme should pervade the mind. It falls upon the creator to envoke that.

Disney is capable of creating a product that does that not force a guest to come to the realization of theme being present via a conclusion born of "huh...good enough".

No Name

The banshees in the Flight of Passage gift shop have had unforeseen success. Do you think people are shelling out $50 for a puppet toy based off of a recollection of, much less sentiment for, the banshees in the decade-old film? No. It is almost entirely the well-crafted attraction that sells you on a previously unfamiliar character. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of a theme park attraction succeeding as an independent medium of storytelling. It’s hard to fathom that Bob doesn’t understand this. How can one legitimately attribute a ten year old’s GSATs/purchases to a PG-13 film that came and left ten years ago?

Imagineering could create more of these successes if they were given the creative freedom to do so, as they were in the past. The mandated inclusion of IP is often hindering.

Brer Oswald

The banshees in the Flight of Passage gift shop have had unforeseen success. Do you think people are shelling out $50 for a puppet toy based off of a recollection of, much less sentiment for, the banshees in the decade-old film? No. It is almost entirely the well-crafted attraction that sells you on a previously unfamiliar character. Flight of Passage is a perfect example of a theme park attraction succeeding as an independent medium of storytelling. I‘d like to imagine Bob understands this to a degree. I mean how can one legitimately attribute a ten year old’s GSATs/purchases to a PG-13 film that came and left ten years ago?

Imagineering could create more of these successes if they were given the creative freedom to do so, as they were in the past. The mandated inclusion of IP is often hindering.
The fact that the IP is most generally modern IP is probably what’s most problematic about this. But that aside, you bring up a lot of great points. They “tricked” me into buying an LE Banshee, and I don’t really care for the film!

Agardini51

And here are all the non-IPs that Iger has somehow overlooked to change to IP...
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Jungle Cruise
  • It's a Small World
  • Country Bear
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Speedway
  • Peoplemover
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Space Mountain
  • BTM Railroad
  • Living with the Land
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Tower of Terror
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris and all the animal exhibits
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Test Track
  • RnRC
  • TriceraTop Spin
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Journey into Imagination
  • Mission Space

C'mon Bob! You don't have much time left to turn all these into Disney Movie IP-based attractions!!

Well, technically 3 of those have movies around them now. Pirates of the Caribbean, haunted mansion and tower of terror.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
TLJ was a terrible movie in many MANY ways.

Also, why was Maelstrom bad? I thought it was quite well done for the space and budget it was given. People talk so much about Everest going backwards (Mummy also), but Maelstrom was one of the first that did that, plus the idea that you might go backwards over the waterfall? brilliant

TwilightZone

I should’ve paid more attention to his Twitter account as it was up, but what was the tweet?
Recreation of the tweet, not word to word:
"Oh yeah, I'm going to create
Captain Marvel Resort
Captain Marvel Ride
ETC."
Basically a jokey tweet poking fun. All with captain marvel attractions.
EDIT:
I think Iger just revealed some of their secret strategies for the parks over the next few years.
screenshot_20190108-104550_twitter-jpg.339498

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom