International Gateway

donsullivan

Premium Member
When that whole resort area opened, but before the Boardwalk resort was built, they used to have a tram similar (but shorter) to the one's used in the parking lots to transport hotel guests to the International Gateway. I don't remember the exact stop locations but it picked up guests at Y&B and then went west, over the bridge to the area between Swan & Dolphin to pick up guests there. From there it went down along where the Boardwalk is now toward EPCOT. The wooden boardwalk was always there and the tram passed over it, up over the bridge and took a right down the ramp toward the gateway entrance.

That's partly why the pathway includes a route that runs alongside the canal and under the bridge. When the tram was running, if you wanted to walk to the gateway from Y&B you had to walk on the section of path that goes under the bridge to keep you off of the tram route path.

Figment1986

I wondered what it was.... thank your for the explanation... is their any reason it still is there... do they uise it at all anymnore for anything else.......

Testtrack321

Figment1986 said:
I wondered what it was.... thank your for the explanation... is their any reason it still is there... do they uise it at all anymnore for anything else.......

Not anymore, although I always thought it was for transporting people from the front of the park to the back without having to enter the park, but that could just be me.

Gail Hayden

Testtrack321 said:
Not anymore, although I always thought it was for transporting people from the front of the park to the back without having to enter the park, but that could just be me.
LOL, great idea, but, it was never used for that. It was indeed used as stated before. It was also one heck of a bumpy ride over the boardwalk.

Indy95

The bridge seems more of a hassle now, because the rent-a-bikes (forgot what those were called) that people would get from the Boardwalk would many a time find their way to International Gateway. So now they have those white posts set up, and the only thing it's good for now is to provide an uphill climb to Epcot (just what we need).

And it would be nice to see some sort of transportation from the entrance to World Showcase. If you take the monorail for dinner reservations it's really a pain in the neck to walk so far, and invariably end up late to the restaurant.

Tim G

Indy95 said:
And it would be nice to see some sort of transportation from the entrance to World Showcase. If you take the monorail for dinner reservations it's really a pain in the neck to walk so far, and invariably end up late to the restaurant.
How about taking one of the Boats...
There is one going from Boardwalk to International Gateway (World Showcase) vv. and one from Swan & Dolphin to the same destination... so there IS transport...

Greetz!:D

Disney_CP_2004

are u talking about the turnaround next to the buildings? like near the top of the pic or the turnaround thing around that oblong patch of grass??

Cause if ur talking about the one near the top of the pic, that is backstage for the buses to turn around and go to Canada/Cast Services when they take us to and from work after they drop off/pick up @ IG......

if ur talking about the oblong patch of grass it was for the trams back in the day only when the Y&B and S&D were there....

The Mom

Premium Member
Corrus said:
How about taking one of the Boats...
There is one going from Boardwalk to International Gateway (World Showcase) vv. and one from Swan & Dolphin to the same destination... so there IS transport...

Greetz!:D

Corrus, I think he's talking about transportation from the front entrance to world showcase. It is a bit of a trek if you have reservations to keep, and you haven't given yourself enough time. If you're coming from another resort, going to one of the Epcot resorts isn't an option. I guess you could take a resort bus to MGM and try it that way. :veryconfu

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Raise your hand if you remember the double decker buses that used to circle World Showcase! *raises hand*

Ah, the good ol' days...

Enderikari

Yep, thats the one I mean, the one you can ride, I see it everyday, not that its mobile, but its there, somewhere, in Walt Disney World

epcotfan

:wave:

I wish they were still used to get around WS. Sometimes I'm so tired I don't think I can walk anymore. The Friendship Boats are ok, but they aren't as convenient :(

phichi17

FamilyMan said:
Raise your hand if you remember the double decker buses that used to circle World Showcase! *raises hand*

Ah, the good ol' days...
Saw one on the 20th of this month.....Character trans. now..BTW - they used to be on Main Street long, long ago...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom