Interesting

Captain Chaos

The Sinbad area was always been included in the discussions and rumors of being the train station for Hogwarts Express... But the train station won't take up ALL of LC... That is entirely too big...

disney fan 13

Original Poster
The Sinbad area was always been included in the discussions and rumors of being the train station for Hogwarts Express... But the train station won't take up ALL of LC... That is entirely too big...

Well it will not be all of LC, I wish that they would take the rest off LC instead of the studios since LC is pretty much the gateway to LC an that's it...

Rob562

Do they still limit access to WWoHP on busy days when it reaches capacity? Perhaps they're just working on some kind of permanent queue just outside the gates to hold those Guests waiting to get into the land, rather than let a line stretch randomly through the park.

-Rob

Timekeeper

Thanks for sharing. Although, none of that info is particularly new, and we've been discussing the same topic within other threads.

The HP expansion plans include(d) taking over both Sinbad and Poseidon, effectively converting all of LC into WWoHP. I suppose that nothing is set in stone, and a better idea could come along, but as of now, HP seems to be the best - if not the only - idea that UO has for successful expansions. :cry:

It's my understanding that the "path" of the train is already being outlined in the backstage areas.

Well it will not be all of LC, I wish that they would take the rest off LC instead of the studios since LC is pretty much the gateway to LC an that's it...

I agree. I was surprised to see JAWS go before Sinbad and Poseidon. Why they are expanding deep into the back of USF instead of immediately adjacent to the existing WWoHP (and remove admittedly poor performing attractions) is beyond me. There must be a business plan in place for which profit supersedes logic, or continuity for that matter. Welcome Harry Potter Studios. Sigh. :(

Do they still limit access to WWoHP on busy days when it reaches capacity? Perhaps they're just working on some kind of permanent queue just outside the gates to hold those Guests waiting to get into the land, rather than let a line stretch randomly through the park.

Yes. During the recent holiday rush, there was a "standby" queue to get into WWoHP. This queue was often estimated to be a 90+ minute wait, and did not include individual attraction wait times once inside of WWoHP.

Rather than a "random line stretching through the park," the standby queue is located behind the Jurassic Park Discovery Center, by the lagoon. This is the same space that was used as a queue when Halloween Horror Nights used the Discovery Center as a haunted house (PsychoScareapy, 2003, and Body Collectors, 2005). Regardless, it's still an absolute mess, even for people like me who are familiar with the park layout. I can't imagine how confusing the "standby queue" situation must be for first time visitors. :cry:

Captain Chaos

TK, from what i been hearing, the entire LC is not being converted to Potter, at least not all right now... Only Sinbad/Arab section is, and will be the train station for Hogwarts Express... The rest of LC is staying LC despite being shut down... at least for now... Mythos is staying Mythos and not receiving a theme make over either....

So what else is left in the Potter universe that can go in to the rest of the LC area that makes sense??? Remember JK wants the world to be as she created it, so whatever goes there has to fall in line with areas that were close to Hogsmeade.... So I think we can write off Godric's Hollow... And I believe we can even write off the Forbidden/Dark Forest...

Timekeeper

TK, from what i been hearing, the entire LC is not being converted to Potter, at least not all right now...

Yeah, it was my understanding that the long term plan was to eventually expand throughout LC, but that was the buzz before the Amity announcement (or lack thereof). This made sense because both remaining shows have come to the end of their shelf life. If their (eventual) replacements are not HP related, then I'm not sure what they will be. Maybe an entirely different theme altogether, like Blue Man Group Isle, or the Carousel of Congress, or Splendid Debt to China, or Journey Into Immigration, who knows... Universal has been making some weird decisions.

As for potential HP extensions, I don't know anything about HP so I couldn't even begin to speculate.

I wouldn't mind something related to Jules Verne going there. A Time Machine ride would be cool. Could you imagine that? A theme park attraction based on time travel.... Hmmmm.... :lookaroun Eh, it would never happen. :cry:

BigThunderMatt

As for potential HP extensions, I don't know anything about HP so I couldn't even begin to speculate.

That's very apparent. Like it or not, HP is what it is, and that is an amazing media franchise with staying power considering it's been going strong for over 10 years (the first book was published in 1997). Quite frankly if you have no familiarity with either the books or the films you have no business spouting how you think it's a blight on Universal.

I, for one, am thrilled at the current rumored expansion. Disney chose to pass up HP. Their loss, Universal's gain. And what did Disney get? Avatar. Nuff said.

Timekeeper

That's very apparent. Like it or not, HP is what it is, and that is an amazing media franchise with staying power considering it's been going strong for over 10 years (the first book was published in 1997). Quite frankly if you have no familiarity with either the books or the films you have no business spouting how you think it's a blight on Universal.

I, for one, am thrilled at the current rumored expansion. Disney chose to pass up HP. Their loss, Universal's gain. And what did Disney get? Avatar. Nuff said.

Excuse me? "Blight on Universal"? Surely you have me confused for some other Disney disciple that is anti-Potter. I have always been pro-Potter, and if you read my comments, here and in numerous other threads, you would know that I greatly enjoy and advocate for the Potter attractions (as someone who has not read the books). Nothing so much as holds a candle to WW or Forbidden Journey, and I'll be the first WDW fan to admit it.

I think you may have both isolated and misinterpreted my comments above. Yes, I do question UO's decision to split up the expansion into USF - especially at the expense of JAWS - when directly adjacent attractions in LC have reached their expiration date; just as I would question a Disney decision to put half of Fantasyland in the MK, and the other half in Epcot. And I do question UO's decision to bank so much on a single franchise. But that has nothing to do with whether or not I "like" having Potter in the park(s).

As for your suggestion that I have no right "spouting" what I think, I will remind you that: (1) this is a discussion forum, so the whole thing kinda hinges on the expression of personal opinions, and (2) as someone who has not read the books/seen the films, I am in the majority when it comes to UO guests, so UO would be well advised to ensure that guests like me also enjoy the HP attractions, and not only HP fanboys. And guess what, I do enjoy them quite a bit. :)

Remember that time when a Disney guest went to Guest Services in order to give them her feedback regarding her experience of riding Star Tours, and the Guest Services cast member interrupted her and asked her if she had actually seen all six Star Wars films, to which she answered "No," and the cast member subsequently declined to listen to her feedback and instead sent her on her way, after politely informing her that seeing the films was a prerequisite for the ability to offer valid feedback? No? That's because it never happened. :brick:

I do not need to be a franchise fanboy in order to justifiably raise a question or offer a critique in a discussion forum. :wave:

Captain Chaos

TK never said Potter was a blight on Universal... Let's not confuse those posting intelligent thread conversation posts with those trolls who have now been banned... TK simply said he isn't all that familiar with the Potter universe in response to a question I posted about what else from Potter could take up the rest of LC after the train station swallows Sinbad... And we aren't talking the books or films, we are talking about the Potter section of the park and its merit, it's value, the craziness it has caused, and the possible expansion...

Captain Chaos

Excuse me? "Blight on Universal"? Surely you have me confused for some other Disney disciple that is anti-Potter. I have always been pro-Potter, and if you read my comments, here and in numerous other threads, you would know that I greatly enjoy and advocate for the Potter attractions (as someone who has not read the books). Nothing so much as holds a candle to WW or Forbidden Journey, and I'll be the first WDW fan to admit it.

Love to see a WDW fan admit this since so many want to try to say TSMM is comparable... :lol:

I think you may have both isolated and misinterpreted my comments above. Yes, I do question UO's decision to split up the expansion into USF - especially at the expense of JAWS - when directly adjacent attractions in LC have reached their expiration date; just as I would question a Disney decision to put half of Fantasyland in the MK, and the other half in Epcot. And I do question UO's decision to bank so much on a single franchise. But that has nothing to do with whether or not I "like" having Potter in the park(s).

This one is easy enough... This is JK Rowling, not so much Universal... She has said she wants her Potter universe in Universal to be true to the world
she created. There were always plans for an expansion, and I believe it is even part of the contract... JK does not want Diagon Alley in LC because Diagon alley is NOT next to Hogsmeade in her universe... So, putting it in Universal, and in Jaws, is holding true to her universe... That's why I said, the train station in the Sinbad entrance makes snse, and why I questioned what else could they put in LC that makes sense and would be a draw... There really isn't much they can put in LC that fits the universe JK created... I can't remember anything else in the movies or books that can fit what she is seeking, keeping true to her world, and keeping the theme proper... The only place by Hogsmeade was shack where Potter confronted Sirius Black in Prisoner of Azkaban... Actually, maybe the forbidden forest/dark forest makes sense because that area surrounds the train station, but if all of LC is used as nothing but a forest (I cannot think of any kind of attraction that can be added to the forest) then it would be a waste...

cheezbat

I don't agree with the opinions of people stating the reason why they aren't building Diagon Alley in the remainder of Lost Continent is because DA is not next to Hogsmeade. Guess what? Universal Studios in Hollywood is supposed to be getting a Potter section of its own in about three years...which is supposed to include west coast versions of the big rides and areas found at UOR...where they plan on building things would put it all right next to each other. There's no way they'd split up the rides in different parts of the park, considering how few spots there are for expansions at that park.

I think this putting the expansion in Universal instead of Lost Continent is just to balance the parks out.

Timekeeper

This one is easy enough... This is JK Rowling, not so much Universal... She has said she wants her Potter universe in Universal to be true to the world she created. There were always plans for an expansion, and I believe it is even part of the contract... JK does not want Diagon Alley in LC because Diagon alley is NOT next to Hogsmeade in her universe... So, putting it in Universal, and in Jaws, is holding true to her universe...

I don't agree with the opinions of people stating the reason why they aren't building Diagon Alley in the remainder of Lost Continent is because DA is not next to Hogsmeade. Guess what? Universal Studios in Hollywood is supposed to be getting a Potter section of its own in about three years...which is supposed to include west coast versions of the big rides and areas found at UOR...where they plan on building things would put it all right next to each other. There's no way they'd split up the rides in different parts of the park, considering how few spots there are for expansions at that park.

I think this putting the expansion in Universal instead of Lost Continent is just to balance the parks out.

Both valid points, and both points aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

On one hand, we see how much business drives theme park decision makers (more so than artistic integrity). On the other hand, Rowling is a powerhouse and I'm sure UO would like to cater to her preferences as best they can. On the third hand (if there is such a thing), USF now needs its own E-ticket addition and Despicable Me isn't quite up there with Potter. So, placing additional HP attractions in USF can serve all of those purposes.

I don't know if being restricted to Lost Continent for any additional expansions would have been a deal breaker for HP expansion, BUT, it sure doesn't hurt that expanding over to USF creates the opportunity to incorporate even more detailed theming from the franchise, such as unique locations that geographically separated by a shared method of transportation, etc.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how the new expansion "fits" into the USF layout. The transitions in IOA (bridges, trees, etc) between WWoHP and its neighboring "islands" feels very natural to me. That may be because the environment is much more exterior-conscious, unlike USF which was designed as a movie "studio" with intricate environments inside of what are more or less plain box soundstages with minimal exterior theming. I don't think that the WWoHP, as it exists now in IOA, would "fit" well into USF, because it's so aesthetically immersive. But from the few renderings and screen shots that I've seen so far, it seems like the new expansion might not seem so out of place between Disaster and MIB.

I like what UO has done with Potter, but I also have a strong affection for the USF classics. I don't mind Potter coming in, but I still wish we could keep some of the classics with the new additions.

JT3000

Either way, it will be interesting to see how the new expansion "fits" into the USF layout. The transitions in IOA (bridges, trees, etc) between WWoHP and its neighboring "islands" feels very natural to me. That may be because the environment is much more exterior-conscious, unlike USF which was designed as a movie "studio" with intricate environments inside of what are more or less plain box soundstages with minimal exterior theming. I don't think that the WWoHP, as it exists now in IOA, would "fit" well into USF, because it's so aesthetically immersive.

WWOHP is more detailed than anything at USF, but that's still not a fair description of the park. Only one or two parts of USF have the studio soundstage look. The rest of the park is themed fairly well.

I'm not concerned with USF's Potter expansion being too detailed to fit in, but it's worth noting that most of the park is themed to real places and Potter would be an exception. If it doesn't fit in, that would be the reason why.

Timekeeper

WWOHP is more detailed than anything at USF, but that's still not a fair description of the park. Only one or two parts of USF have the studio soundstage look. The rest of the park is themed fairly well.

I'm not concerned with USF's Potter expansion being too detailed to fit in, but it's worth noting that most of the park is themed to real places and Potter would be an exception. If it doesn't fit in, that would be the reason why.

I (as someone who loves Universal) have to respectfully disagree with you regarding USF's "soundstage look." More than just one or two locations, I view the majority of the park as having that look.

For example:
  • Guests walk into the park and the first two attractions are (soon to be) Despicable Me and Shrek 4-D. Both have very modest exterior decor (theme archways over the entrances, also known as "portals"), but there's no hiding the fact that they are giant plain-box soundstages with some painted illustrations on them.
  • Rockit is nested between soundstages, so the view from the queue is of nothing but soundstages.
  • Continuing down to Twister, another big box soundstage with a sign affixed to the front corner.
  • Moving along to Mummy, the front side is well themed, yes, but again, obviously a soundstage.
  • Disaster's facade at least hides the soundstage better; because the soundstage isn't very tall.
  • MIB's facade similarly cover's at least the front side of the soundstage, but it's a very "flat" facade and - again - there's no hiding the soundstage look.
  • Simpsons is an altogether interesting project because they had to make due with what BTtF gave them, which is a oddly shaped building, most of which is clearly visible from guest view.
  • E.T., like Shrek or Twister, is nothing but a soundstage with a decorated portal at the entrance.
  • Terminator, like Disaster, hides the show area with a simple facade because the show area is not very large.
  • The various shows in the different theaters are presented in pretty "plain" theaters, with the only real theming found on their stages.

So, even though most of the attractions at USF are not original to the park, they retain the parks "garden of soundstages" look. There's nothing wrong with that, I suppose, it's just the way it is. IOA, on the other hand, is a lot more like Disney in the sense that the attraction buildings are better "hidden" from view, with more heavily themed facades. Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc. all utilize large show buildings that are very well hidden by a great design scheme and theming. Yes, USF is "themed" into different areas, and there are some nice details in the New York areas (and inside of all the attractions), but it's quite different from IOA, and most of Disney.

Ironically, JAWS/Amity was one of the most well themed attractions (in my opinion) from the facade all the way through the queue and the attraction itself.
Maybe that's because they didn't have a giant soundstage that would have been "unhideable." Regardless, I really felt like I was in Amity, and not a "working movie production studio"-based theme park. :cry:

For these reasons, I fear that an ultra-themed Potter area might feel out of place among its brethren listed above. But whatever they do, I'm sure they'll do a good job with it. :eek:

JT3000

I (as someone who loves Universal) have to respectfully disagree with you regarding USF's "soundstage look." More than just one or two locations, I view the majority of the park as having that look.

For example:

• Guests walk into the park and the first two attractions are (soon to be) Despicable Me and Shrek 4-D. Both have very modest exterior decor (theme archways over the entrances, also known as "portals"), but there's no hiding the fact that they are giant plain-box soundstages with some painted illustrations on them.
    Rockit is nested between soundstages, so the view from the queue is of nothing but soundstages.
    Continuing down to Twister, another big box soundstage with a sign affixed to the front corner.

• These attractions are all in Production Central. There was no attempt to hide the soundstages as they're part of the area's theme.

Moving along to Mummy, the front side is well themed, yes, but again, obviously a soundstage.

You can only see the top of the building from most angles, mainly because the facades are too short. However, poor sightlines aren't the same as a building being *unthemed*. You can see the back of Everest from DAK's parking lot. Does that mean it has the "soundstage look?"

Disaster's facade at least hides the soundstage better; because the soundstage isn't very tall.

Why does the show building's height matter if it's adequately hidden? It seems you included this arbitrarily.

MIB's facade similarly cover's at least the front side of the soundstage, but it's a very "flat" facade and - again - there's no hiding the soundstage look.

You may think MIB's (curved*) facade somehow resembles a soundstage (I don't) but, again, it is a themed facade and successfully hides the entire show building.

Simpsons is an altogether interesting project because they had to make due with what BTtF gave them, which is a oddly shaped building, most of which is clearly visible from guest view.

The show building is clearly visible, but it has an interesting shape and looks nothing like a box or soundstage.

E.T., like Shrek or Twister, is nothing but a soundstage with a decorated portal at the entrance.

I'll give you this one. I'm not sure what they could've done for this attraction's exterior, but they could've done more. At least they themed its visible backside with a film studio entrance.

Terminator, like Disaster, hides the show area with a simple facade because the show area is not very large.

If the theater is hidden by themed facades, what's the problem?

The various shows in the different theaters are presented in pretty "plain" theaters, with the only real theming found on their stages.

The theater exteriors could be better themed (although I'm not sure the current shows actually justify it) but this is no different than what you see at DHS.

Beyond these examples, you're really selling the entire park short by calling it a "garden of soundstages." As a whole, USF's theming is vastly superior to Disney's equivalent park, which comes much closer to fitting that description outside of its detailed Hollywood area. USF may not be the best looking park around but I find your descriptions of it to be highly inaccurate.

Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc. all utilize large show buildings that are very well hidden by a great design scheme and theming.

Haunted Mansion's show building is clearly visible if you know where to look.

Timekeeper

You can only see the top of the building from most angles, mainly because the facades are too short. However, poor sightlines aren't the same as a building being *unthemed*. You can see the back of Everest from DAK's parking lot. Does that mean it has the "soundstage look?"
You may think MIB's (curved*) facade somehow resembles a soundstage (I don't) but, again, it is a themed facade and successfully hides the entire show building.
The show building is clearly visible, but it has an interesting shape and looks nothing like a box or soundstage.

You're joking, right? So adding skewed angles to the edge of one otherwise flat side of a cube removes its soundstage look? Have you ever been to the park in-person? :shrug:

600-mib.jpg

And I'm not sure what Everest has to do with USF's appearance, but since you brought it up, no, I don't think it has a soundstage look. But hey, if you think that MIB is on par with Everest with respect to not looking like a soundstage, so be it.

Beyond these examples, you're really selling the entire park short by calling it a "garden of soundstages." As a whole, USF's theming is vastly superior to Disney's equivalent park, which comes much closer to fitting that description outside of its detailed Hollywood area. USF may not be the best looking park around but I find your descriptions of it to be highly inaccurate.

Okay, then nevermind my descriptions. A picture is worth a thousand words. So here's one of Universal's facade for a "big box" attraction:

ET%20ride%20outside.JPG

And here are a few of Disney's facades for a "big box" attractions:

2310546491_08c4768e90.jpg

or

4153059557_8e0c4c3cbd.jpg

or

tower-of-terror.jpg

Disney's live show facade:

2509735825_621acfc65f_b.jpg

USF's live show facade:

BB_horz_1_tcm13-5005.jpg

or

2214810997_7d8c18c47d.jpg

or

222894179_064e300252.jpg

I'm not criticizing Universal; I understand the (original) premise of the park. But, as they say, I can only call them as I see them.

Haunted Mansion's show building is clearly visible if you know where to look.

Well, there you have have it. You've clearly made your case. What was I thinking.

I never suggested that Disney's soundstages and show buildings were "invisible." They are simply better hidden, and/or accompanied by a greater degree of exterior theming elements.

In contrast, at USF, you don't have to "know where to look," you just have to "look."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom