Interactive Queue Etiquette

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree with you for the most part. Adding games seems silly but adding elements that are interactive where things talk to you in the queue or you get to blow stuff up around the ride just add to the experience. I mean why not make the line part of the overall experience with great theming and interactive elements. Just don't make the elements things that people have to put their hands all over and stop for long periods of time.
You mean like they used to do for major attractions before everybody wanted to skip the queues completely?

IWantMyMagicBand

To clear things up: I did not mean teenagers in a queue for a ride they are appropriate for. I was talking about specific toddler, kiddie, rides - like those at CBeebies land at Alton Towers. It is aimed at under 5s, yet I was faced with a group of early teens acting big and clever "Oh my god, I can't believe you're making me ride this, are we like the oldest on here, you pretend to be my baby lol aren't we funny?!?!?" Well, in that case those "children" definitely did not like being called children, especially as the ride operator called them out and they weren't allowed to ride (which also happened on another ride I was told)
I wasn't talking about normal teenagers playing at HM or SM, I'm talking about the ones who would cringe at being called a child away from their parents.

Chef Mickey

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of shortening wait times and trying to make the time in line more fine, but there is a certain old school charm of just waiting in a line and building the excitement.

Somehow, the ride is more fun after a long wait, especially as a kid. I remember waiting 70, 80, 90 minutes to ride Space Mountain. When you finally got to the front of line after watching Mario Lopez, you were so excited to ride. The feeling isn't quite the same when you walk on within 5 minutes with your Fast Pass.

As an adult, I really don't want to wait in lines, but I definitely don't want to be annoyed by people playing stupid touch screen games and playing with water in an "interactive" queue. Fast Pass+ is enough.

Wishes 1971

....and I thought this was going to be about the people who let their kids move up to the interactive queue, passing everyone in line along the way...so they can be entertained!!!

I think it is acceptable to experience the interactive queue briefly without the expectation of being passed. However, if the line is steadily moving or there is a large gap (I'm not talking you could walk 10 feet and stop)...then it would be acceptable to bypass.

Chef Mickey

....and I thought this was going to be about the people who let their kids move up to the interactive queue, passing everyone in line along the way...so they can be entertained!!!

I think it is acceptable to experience the interactive queue briefly without the expectation of being passed. However, if the line is steadily moving or there is a large gap (I'm not talking you could walk 10 feet and stop)...then it would be acceptable to bypass.
I saw a kid literally play the interactive queue in 7DMT for 15-20 minutes and catch back up later. I honestly think the queue needs a cast member policing people. Of course, people can't police themselves and their own kids.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

Personally, if people stop to play with the queues and the line is far ahead of them, then I pass. But if we are talking a few feet then I wait.

I have never been in that situation as most parents will grab their children and tell them to move forward when the line moves.

However, I have been stuck behind people who wish to block the queues to take multiple pictures.
Normally I wouldn't mind waiting if it is a quick picture but when you stop take a picture, review the photo, decide you don't like it, take it again, then switch positions and start all over.. that annoys me a little.

Pixie VaVoom

Or a quick electrical shot to the MagicBand+ to let you know it's time to "move on up"

or maybe an MB that delivers more of a shock if you are caught line-cutting, or a nice hefty tasering if your group starts 'chanting' or 'cheering' or 'blabbing the dialogue to an attraction" or otherwise distracting from the Disney delivered soundtrack. yeah I could go for that !!

Sorry - I am cranky

morningstar

There seem to be two camps here. There are those who have a logical argument for why gaps in the line, even large ones, cause no actual harm. Then there are those who say you have to fill in gaps, that's just the way it is, and you deserve to suffer the consequences if you don't.

I think there's just some part of our caveman brains that instinctually needs to make progress toward our destination even if it doesn't change anything about when we'll arrive. It's the same thing in stop-and-go traffic. People will take a detour that actually takes longer, but they feel like it's faster and are less frustrated because they keep moving.

PrincessNelly_NJ

There seem to be two camps here. There are those who have a logical argument for why gaps in the line, even large ones, cause no actual harm. Then there are those who say you have to fill in gaps, that's just the way it is, and you deserve to suffer the consequences if you don't.

I think there's just some part of our caveman brains that instinctually needs to make progress toward our destination even if it doesn't change anything about when we'll arrive. It's the same thing in stop-and-go traffic. People will take a detour that actually takes longer, but they feel like it's faster and are less frustrated because they keep moving.
Eh... Like I said, I don't mind waiting if we are talking a few feet but when the line is way ahead then yes I am going to walk pass. You may not agree but I still believe that if I stop in line to play with a interactive queue while the line is far ahead, then I'm okay with people passing me. I made the choice to stop and no one should have to wait for me.
Someone posted above that they have often wanted to stop and just take their time looking at the details in the queues but didnt want to hold up the line so they didn't bother.
Why rush? if you want to admire the queue, go ahead, let people pass and take your time.

The Little Mermaid has a detailed queue, I have always walked on that ride and seen multiple people stopped to watch scuttle or play in the queue, even I have stopped for 5 - 10 minutes just looking around, people walk pass myself and the others all the time and no one gets upset.

KingdomofDreams

If the line isn't moving or is moving at a snail's pace then playing around a bit with the games is fine. I won't/didn't pass someone if they stopped briefly, but if the line has moved 20ft ahead and is still moving and they are at the game with their back to the queue, then I pass. If parents want to let their kid's play around while they hold the place in line, then the kids can catch up.

I heard someone complaining behind me to her companion because we had passed them in the line for 7DMT. I completely ignored her but I could hear her friend quietly trying to tell her to let it go. They had their backs to the queue, were adults and had no kids with them, and the line had moved around the switchback while they stood there playing and showed no sign of moving on. If I stop and want to mess around with something in the queue, I don't expect others to stand there waiting for me to finish.

Wishes 1971

I have to agree. I'm one of those types that likes to move in bigger chunks.....I'm not inclined to move 1-2 steps and stop....then 1-2 steps and stop...I like the line to move a little...and move 4-5 steps!!! Both ways I get to my destination in the same time.....just less shuffling. It's also nice not to be in the cattle trough, right on top of everyone....

It is interesting to see the people that will nudge you and tell you the line has "moved" or try to decide if they should pass!!!!

HatboxGhost

If I'm playing a game and the line isn't moving and you pass me I'm probably going to trip you as you pass. I can't abide line cutters. That's MY PSA for you.
I have no problem with someone playing a game if the line isn't moving. I also cant stand line cutting, however once that line starts moving and you continue to play I would have no choice but to pass you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom