Intelligibility of Splash Mountain's plot

How much of Splash Mountain's plot did you understand from the ride alone?

• Pretty much all of it, including Br'er Rabbit's use of reverse psychology.

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • Most of it, but not Br'er Rabbit's use of reverse psychology.

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • Some of it, though portions of it weren't clear to me.

Votes: 18 11.5%
  • Very little of it.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • None of it.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I (think I) already knew the story; certain details may not have been clear to me otherwise.

Votes: 21 13.4%
  • I (think I) already knew the story, but the plot probably would have been clear to me anyway.

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

CntrlFlPete

I think growing up on Looney Toons in a time when Saturday morning cartoons where the electronic baby sitter of its time. Well, that just sort of set up the dynamic (to me) -- road runner/coyote -- Bugs/Elmer --

I was older w/ splash opened, I had seen Song of the South in one of its theatrical releases, but by the time splash opened, I just recalled some of the songs and certainly recall the animation (I had not seen Marry Poppings or anything and it was the 1st film I saw w/ animation and live action sharing the same screen.

Sad (to me) how bad the laughing place was on my last few rides, it once played a big part in the ads for the ride -- also seems the truth is only actual when it is satisfactional (to the beholder) these days.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I did answer it as having already known the story. But added that had I had no prior knowledge the attraction provided enough of the story to know the plot. Someone never hearing the story and riding Splash for the first time would not be confused by what Disney was presenting.
I think we’re saying the same thing, no? The option I pointed to corresponds exactly to your position, unless I’m misunderstanding you.

celluloid

It is wild to me that people would struggle with the general idea of Brer Rabbit tricking them. Every scene after he leaves the house has him outsmarting him as a classic trickster like character.

If you did not get things, it was likely that you rarely or never got to ride it in good working order.

It would be like watching Bug's Bunny with a static ridden TV that sometimes the audio cuts out completely and enjoying it but one day being surprised that he was outsmarting the likes of Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck and Yosemite Sam all those times you watched it.

This is an inference situation when it comes to working properly. Everyone picks up on different things. Many people do not realize that Pirates of the Caribbean is intended to be a time travel back into the past and a return to present day. This even explained by Walt Disney himself when touring the models as Disneyland's was underway. It of course, is conveyed not as well in WDW's version, and relies on the queue to assist with that more than the great in ride set up.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Regarding the “being familiar with the story” point, many might not have seen SotS or know the specific stories that were adapted, but anyone who has watched Bugs Bunny would probably have a good idea of the “trickster rabbit” archetype which would help them understand the plot. Even if they aren’t drawing on them consciously (I.e. having subconscious familiarity could make it easier to “get” the plot including the reverse psychology).

I think we take Bugs Bunny for granted... when in reality those younger than Gen X probably never got the full Saturday morning indoctrination to the WB cartoons. I mean, they know who the character is, but did they really see the dozens and dozens of cartoons plots we take for granted.

It's kinda freaky to think there are people in their 30s that probably never had that...

celluloid

I think we take Bugs Bunny for granted... when in reality those younger than Gen X probably never got the full Saturday morning indoctrination to the WB cartoons. I mean, they know who the character is, but did they really see the dozens and dozens of cartoons plots we take for granted.

It's kinda freaky to think there are people in their 30s that probably never had that...

I think 30s are mostly ok in the United States, thanks to being a Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network Generation that both kept them alive both in repeat and new content. Animaniacs and Tiny Toons also kept the spirit going. I am 34 and Space Jam was out for me as part of the prime demographic when I was in elementary school.

Now 20s. That is a world of difference. I got a scary one for you. Many people in their 20s in pop culture poles have no idea who the Jetsons or Flintstones are.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
If during the rides final days when half the audio and scenes weren't functional to tell their part of the story, I understand being confused. The rest of the time Splash has one of the most coherent stories on pproperty.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
We have enough results that I think it's possible to draw some conclusions. I'm not surprised that around 50% of people went for the first answer; that tallies with what the discussion in the main Splash Mountain thread had suggested. I am surprised, however, by how dispersed the rest of the responses are; I was expecting more in the "Most of it, but not Br'er Rabbit's use of reverse psychology" camp.

Bearing in mind that we are Disney [ETA: or theme-park] fans (and therefore generally better informed and more attentive), I wonder how this poll would play out among the general guest population.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We have enough results that I think it's possible to draw some conclusions. I'm not surprised that around 50% of people went for the first answer; that tallies with what the discussion in the main Splash Mountain thread had suggested. I am surprised, however, by how dispersed the rest of the responses are; I was expecting more in the "Most of it, but not Br'er Rabbit's use of reverse psychology" camp.

Bearing in mind that we are Disney fans (and therefore generally better informed and more attentive), I wonder how this poll would play out among the general guest population.

Not a Disney fan, lol. I answered that we understood most of it.

But the truth is that the ride is enjoyable with only snippets of the story anyway. Unlike a lot of the newer rides, there’s nothing dampening the enjoyment of the ride if you miss part of the backstory. Like, it’s clear the rabbit is running from the Fox and bear, and that those two are bumbling bad guys who’s plans don’t work, and that all the forest animals are happy the rabbit gets away and goes home. You don’t need any more than that to enjoy the ride anyway.

And there’s catchy songs.

At the end of the day the details everyone argues about don’t matter all that much.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Not a Disney fan, lol.
sad-mermaid.gif

On a serious note, thanks for the correction. I've edited my post accordingly.

celluloid

Bearing in mind that we are Disney [ETA: or theme-park] fans (and therefore generally better informed and more attentive), I wonder how this poll would play out among the general guest population.
I would not be too shocked, there are at least two intentional examples of Reverse Psychology in the attraction when the audio and visuals.

Not only the climactic Briar Patch toss and complimenting scenes, but the entire concept of going to a laughing place and Brer Rabbit laughing and telling them it is his laughing place, not theirs as they are foiled again.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I would not be too shocked, there are at least two intentional examples of Reverse Psychology in the attraction when the audio and visuals.

Not only the climactic Briar Patch toss and complimenting scenes, but the entire concept of going to a laughing place and Brer Rabbit laughing and telling them it is his laughing place, not theirs as they are foiled again.

I think that’s the rub, for me. Everyone seems convinced that the audio parts of the story are easily picked up but they are not. The audio isn’t exactly clear, and our first couple times through the attraction we only got wrong lyrics and main verses.

LittleBuford

Original Poster

But those who didn't (or believe they wouldn't) pick up on Br'er Rabbit's use of reverse psychology include everyone who opted for all but the first and last answers. In other words, there is about a 50% split between those who got that aspect of the plot and those who didn't. That is more or less what I expected. What's surprising to me is how spread out the 50% in the "didn't" camp is across the different answers.

celluloid

But those who didn't (or believe they wouldn't) pick up on Br'er Rabbit's use of reverse psychology include everyone who opted for all but the first and last answers. In other words, there is about a 50% split between those who got that aspect of the plot and those who didn't. That is more or less what I expected. What's surprising to me is how spread out the 50% in the "didn't" camp is across the different answers.

Perceptions are pretty diverse. The Pirates of The Caribbean situation is similar, particularly pre films where the cursed treasure was a part of the film's plot.

I think of it like a book study.

Heppenheimer

The tar baby was mostly a Disney creation and never appeared in the ride at all.
Disney didn't create the tar baby, it was in the original Uncle Remus stories, and similar stories exist in other cultures.

To answer the original question... I was already familiar with the Br'er Rabbit stories. Disney still showed the animated sequences from Song of the South into the early 80s on various TV specials, and I actually even saw the entire movie at the Contemporary's old movie theater, probably circa 1980-81 (forget the exact year), although I can't say I remember much other than seeing the characters I already knew. Also, among the various Disney picture books we accumulated around our house when I was a kid, at least two featured Br'er Rabbit, so I knew the Tar Baby and Briar Patch stories very well.

ppete1975

Thanks! This is what I always thought, but then the bit you mention about mothers warning their children to avoid the Laughin’ Place doesn’t make sense to me.

EDIT: Also, is all of this something others are able to discern upon the first or second ride?
Honestly I look at most theme park rides as greatest hits of scenes from the movies, that assume that you have seen the source material. I never really thought that there was a story, same thing with haunted mansion where it seemed to be scenes to scare you or pirates, of course now there are a few different stories to what those are supposed to mean.. but I think originally it was a mish mash of scenes.

_caleb

Many different reasons.

A). He looks like a bad guy.

B). "Wanted" posters in the queue.

C). A fox is naturally a rabbits enemy.
See, these were the sorts of things I may have missed on my first couple rides on Splash. For further discussion (and at the risk of over-analysis:

A) I don't know that Br'er Fox necessarily reads as "bad guy" everywhere he's featured. I thing the teeth and eyebrows can be a dead giveaway, but he's given a much kinder, gentler look in the meet and greet character and plush versions in the parks. Also, he's typically shown with Br'er Bear, who does not like a "bad guy" at all to me (though he does carry a giant club...).

B) Wanted posters: There are wanted posters of Flynn Rider all around and he's not a bad guy. Same with Robin Hood. Because we don't know who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are, or who's in charge, maybe it's not always clear? Maybe it's just me.

C) Good point!

smbdlp123456.jpg

Growing up seeing this, I always thought they were three friends!

celluloid

See, these were the sorts of things I may have missed on my first couple rides on Splash. For further discussion (and at the risk of over-analysis:

A) I don't know that Br'er Fox necessarily reads as "bad guy" everywhere he's featured. I thing the teeth and eyebrows can be a dead giveaway, but he's given a much kinder, gentler look in the meet and greet character and plush versions in the parks. Also, he's typically shown with Br'er Bear, who does not like a "bad guy" at all to me (though he does carry a giant club...).

View attachment 695631
Growing up seeing this, I always thought they were three friends!

If you notice, they are both looking for him, and he is having a laugh that they do not realize he is right there with him on the club.
The meet and greets and plush will have him more rounded for likability.

Classic animation rules for human nature response are skinny pointy features and sharps are wicked or evil, and rounded or sofft features are visually simple or kinder.

The attraction description in the queue itself describes them best.

Brer Fox, Lookin' for Trouble

Brer Bear, just lookin'

1675117221730.png

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I got the basic concept of the story, but I'll admit that some of it was new to me when I read the spoiler info in an earlier post. Splash has also never been a favorite attraction. I was in college when it opened, so it's not a part of my childhood. During college and post college...nobody wanted to get their hair wet, so it was never on the must do list. It didn't hit our list of attractions to try until our kids hit 40". We've only ridden it maybe 5 times (between WDW and DLR) because we usually didn't want to sit in a wet log or get soaked. The times we had ridden it, it either had broken elements or was constantly stopping. So, I never really followed the story during the ride all that well and picked up more of it from the parks' music CD. That being said, my husband's favorite book as a kid was the Disney Uncle Remus Stories (larger Golden Book). He was shocked when I told him that I'd never heard any of these stories growing up. Before we located his book at his mom's house, I'd gifted him with a copy of The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus, but it wasn't how he remembered the stories and it wasn't really well received by our kids. So, I never really familiarized myself with any of these stories. We have seen Song of the South once, but again, it didn't really resonate with us. So, I got the basics of what the ride was trying to convey, but never really knew the full story until now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom