Insider info on nemo ride

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I did the research! (aren't I handy?)

Land rehab: Jan 2nd - April 15th (passholder preview) was roughly 14 weeks.

Seas Rehab: Aug 21st - Nov 27 (week after thanksgiving) is 14 weeks.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
the omnimover modification is very possible IMO. Just remove the blue generic SE shell and put in the Shell type doombuggy seats. Easy in 14 weeks yea..

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The Universe of Energy refurbishment which included removing the Radok rotating screens, installation of the the Ellen animatronic, repainting the building exterior, removing thousands of small mirrors, repainting all of the dinosaurs and removing several large props from the theater 2 portion took only 20 weeks.

The actual time needed to install all 12 new films (5 preshow, 4 theater one, 3 theater two) in the pavillion and new audio was only 2 weeks.

The "chopped up" nature of Energy's rehab gives you a good idea of how long certain changes take. (It wasn't done all at once - visit the link for clarification).

Source: Energy Companion Site http://planet7.home.mindspring.com/energy/companion/pavilion/rehab.htm

nelsonj3

Very good info, mousermerf!!

I think you're right about the lighting. I never thought of that before, but now that you mention it, it does seem rather dark inside the tanks now.

KevinPage

I have no problem with a complete retheming of the Sea Base Alpha concept, since even as a child I felt it was boring & aside from looking at the dolphins & fish, the pavillon offered nothing to hold my interest.

Granted I hope they USE Nemo to present the story of the ocean, etc. as opposed to just making it all Nemo centric, but anything would be better than what they have now, whether it's character based or not.

I know alot of people don't want change or having characters added to certain pavillons/attractions, but tastes & desires change. :D

Shaman

Also, who is to say this ride will open up once the rehab is over and done with? Perhaps the ride portion will open sometime further down the line...maybe the rehab is more of a preperation of the pavilion for the ride, than the actual construction of the ride...etc...

Did that make sense? :veryconfu

(Those in the know...what do you think?)

:D :wave:

gniko21

gniko21

Perhaps the reason that Disney has let the numbers of residents in the tanks dwindle is that they have been anticipating the rehab and chose to wait until afterward to repopulate the tanks.

AimeeEvans

When I took the DiveQuest tour earlier this month, our guide (I forget her name, but she was very good!!)told us that due to the hurricanes last year they lost 6 fish. I guess the fish sense the changes in barometric pressure and want to go deeper, but the maximum depth is 25 feet. I guess the stress of it all can kill them. We were also told that the sharks had just recently been put back in (the 8 foot shark was still out in a different tank) because they had to add copper to the water. The dive was incredible, but I kept thinking I thought it could be a little brighter.

Aimee

Yen_Sid1

I heard that rumor from a friend and he just verified it was happening for sure. They are removing the entry and exit hydrolators. They are extending the ride track for the Sea Cabs. But they are keeping the pre-show theaters, but probably changing the film. So when you exit the pre-show, that will be the new entrance to the ride. But he wasn't sure what would be on the new part of the ride. maybe video screens showing the Nemo characters swimming along with you??

MKCP 1985

The hydrolator: If it is really going to be scrapped, I applaud the decision. Even in the early days of the Living Seas, cast members would be constantly asked how far down we were really descending, and after sticking with the spiel for the first couple of responses, only to be met with, "No, really, how far?" they would reluctantly admit in a hushed tone, "about six inches." The hydrolator effect was never believable and at some point people began bypassing the time consuming hydrolator return and just walking out the adjacent exit door (how's that for a spoiler).

Return of a ride portion to the exhibit would be an improvement. Additional track even more so.

Anyway, whether these rumors are true or not - thanks for sharing them. As for those who object to skepticism - how did you feel when the wand failed to come down as promised in mid-May? There's nothing wrong with expressing skepticism here regarding a rumor. The way I see it, I can post a rumor and if people don't believe it, they are free to tell me and others why they don't believe it. If we just keep the skepticism halfway polite, then it should all work out.

Shaman

Thelazer said:
I just don't see the ride track being extended or modifed. Way to much work invovled and they are NOT draining the tanks.

But wouldn't there be some space in various areas where track could be added...especially if they are removing things like the hydrolators etc...the load & unload areas can be moved...and the queue too, no?

Most of these things were there for crowd control (although the formula hasn't really been used for sometime, becuase TLS stopped getting the crowds) thats changed though...so, I suspect they have to come up with some way to control the crowds inside the pavilion through the use of the ride/pre shows...etc...once the hydrolators are gone (if they are in fact removed)...

Should be interesting to see what happens though...

rjamerson

The original poster said that his friend was "vice-president of Imagineering" in Pasadena? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought WDI is located in Glendale.

Doesn't sound like a credible rumor to me.

Epcot82Guy

Actually, there could be quite a bit of room to extend. If the hydrolators are removed, this would free up a lot of space, and remember the original plan was to load underneath/behind the screen (in the original LS version). Therefore, if the theater were moved or the circular theater BECAME the preshow (again, this is just me thinking outloud), then we have TONS of space to use.

netenyahoo

rjamerson said:
The original poster said that his friend was "vice-president of Imagineering" in Pasadena? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought WDI is located in Glendale.

Doesn't sound like a credible rumor to me.

Glendale and Pasadena are by each other. All of the LA area is like one big city. It is hard to know which city you are in. I wouldn't say his rumor is not believable on just using the wrong city.

We will all see soon what the truth is. I would say this is believable, but we'll know for sure soon.

WDWCP

RSD Part Deux said:
I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SO STRONGLY DOUBT RUMOURS. This is the rumours sections, take it for what they are worth. You want offical annoucements from the Disney Company? Then go to www.disney.com. If you dont like the essence of the rumour section then stay out.

Right on! These are only rumors. Let's not jump all over a rumor just because there are technical issues or a question of feasability of the rumor ever coming true.

Sometimes it's just nice to dream...

Snapper Bean

Yen_Sid1 said:
I heard that rumor from a friend and he just verified it was happening for sure. They are removing the entry and exit hydrolators. They are extending the ride track for the Sea Cabs. But they are keeping the pre-show theaters, but probably changing the film. So when you exit the pre-show, that will be the new entrance to the ride. But he wasn't sure what would be on the new part of the ride. maybe video screens showing the Nemo characters swimming along with you??

I think this is fabulous news. Not only are the Sea Cabs returning the ride is being extended a bit. A victory for dark rides.

Snapper Bean

I.M.Fearless

Hang on.... Did anyone else catch this?

mousermerf said:
Also, for all of imagineering's tests over at DL in the sub lagoon (which lead to their current work on gutting and reopening it with Nemo) they were working under water.

Could this mean that the new Living Seas ride actually enters the tanks?!?!

Captain Chaos

I.M.Fearless said:
Hang on.... Did anyone else catch this?

Could this mean that the new Living Seas ride actually enters the tanks?!?!

No.. I think the ride will follow the same tracks.. Just the updates to the tanks themselves, with the video projectors of Nemo and friends will be inside the tanks, therfore under water.. In order to do this, the Imagineers must work under water....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom