Inside WDW new space mountain 11/10/09

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Not to get off topic here or anything, but I'm a little surprised with haven't heard anything in the past couple of days concerning the status of soft opening.

Steve? Heard anything more about those issues you mentioned? Anyone?

I saw people on the ride on Monday, so I'd expect that they were, or are, really close. :shrug:

They still are working some issues, and more tend to crop up as they work those previous issues. They'll get there, and they still have a while to go before that official reopening date. I understand that they are still expecting a preview very soon, but there isnt a timetable for it.

hack2112

Like the space ship during the lift? WOW. That is amazing.
I always felt that the ship in WDW was just some metal sheets put together. It never really Wowed me. DL's, on the other hand, put me in awe. It really gave me the feeling I was in a spaceport.

You'll never sway me on this one. I do, and always have, thought WDW's was the better of the two.
Then I say we agree to disagree.

However, I really want to make a trip next year to see Ghost Galaxy.

Buried20KLeague

Then I apoligize. But you were the poster that said DL's was better because of the effects right?

One of the many, yes.

But Lee made a good point... That we shouldn't argue opinion. So I kinda dropped that disagreement. :lol:

I believe that WDW's layout makes it slightly better as a coaster than DL's, but that all the effects that DL has make it an overall better experience. I totally don't relate to anyone that thinks WDW's SM is anywhere but the bottom of the totem pole... But they're entitled to think that way.

COProgressFan

I believe that WDW's layout makes it slightly better as a coaster than DL's, but that all the effects that DL has make it an overall better experience. I totally don't relate to anyone that thinks WDW's SM is anywhere but the bottom of the totem pole... But they're entitled to think that way.

Totally agree with this. As a coaster, WDW has more drops and is a bit more intense than DL. Of course, it is has become more jerky and rickety over time, which isn't what one should expect with a steel coaster.

But as far an overall "attraction" experience, DL blows WDW out of the water. From the queue (once you get indoors), to the load station, the the awesome detailed costumes CM's get to wear, to the smooth ride with a few great effects and pumping sound...so much better than a sort of sorry excuse we have had in FL.

I know that the track and ride itself isn't going to change, but I'm looking forward to seeing how much improved the overall attraction experience is after the refurb is finished.

EPCOT Explorer

Grasping satire is obviously not your stength :lol:

It's not like I was being subtle. :hammer:

PS, See the pics Steve just posted with the internal walls down (speaking of subtle).
And nor do you!:kiss::ROFLOL:

I still remember the first time I went to a Disney park (was actually DL) and I was in AWE. The same thing happened when I went to WDW for the first time. It happened again the first time I rode Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror. These things just BLEW ME AWAY, experiences so far beyond anything you could experience anywhere else.

I have this sense of awe less frequently as the years go by. Watching and hearing the cars flying around Test Track for the first time was cool. The pre-show to Mission Space was great (and I still kind of like the ride more than most people do), I thought Soarin' and Toy Story Mania are really clever, maybe not amazing but still pretty magical. The first time seeing Rock n Roller coaster "take off" and thinking, "Holy Crap! I'm about to ride that!". The Haunted Mansion refurb really surprised me and the new section pretty much blew me away. Everest was cool (especially the theme and the Yeti - when he works).

On my last trip (October) there wasn't really anything new that really blew me away (Hall of Presidents was just ok in my book) - and that didn't really surprise me, I'm sort of getting used to that reality these days. :(

So... on my next trip (April), will the new Space Mountain blow me away and leave me in a sense of awe? I hope it does, I really do, but based on what I've read, I have my doubts. And I already find myself wishing that the original plans were followed. And I'm bummed because I don't think there will be anything else new for me to see on that trip (except maybe construction walls in Fantasyland).

I'm a Disney fanatic, but eventually I'll get to the point where if there's nothing new to see, I'll skip a planned trip to WDW to go see something new somewhere else.

TELL THEM THIS. :D:wave:

Seriously. It has the potential to instigate great change.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Can I suggest that some of you ask Santa for a thesaurus for chrimbo, as Im sure it would make for an amazing awsome present, get a big one they have meatier words.

_Scar

Totally agree with this. As a coaster, WDW has more drops and is a bit more intense than DL. Of course, it is has become more jerky and rickety over time, which isn't what one should expect with a steel coaster.

But as far an overall "attraction" experience, DL blows WDW out of the water. From the queue (once you get indoors), to the load station, the the awesome detailed costumes CM's get to wear, to the smooth ride with a few great effects and pumping sound...so much better than a sort of sorry excuse we have had in FL.

I know that the track and ride itself isn't going to change, but I'm looking forward to seeing how much improved the overall attraction experience is after the refurb is finished.

Perhaps they should of made the track as thrilling as The Mummy at USF or EE's thrill level.

Does anyone know where exactly the camera is? I hope they aren't in an awkward location like TT;s

the-reason14

Well when that person is basically saying that a refurbrished Ford Taurus is better than a top of the line, brand new luxury sedan then yes...it is a little hard to comprehend.

Wow, after reading this thread I think the wrong space mountain got the refurb, lol. So let me get this striaght...DL's space mountain is boring and has one of the worst layouts in roller coaster history. In fact it's so boring that the only way they could get people to ride it was to trick it out with state of the art special effects, a brand new smooth track, an onboard soundtrack, and everything else it got in it's rebuild. Yet inspite of all that, the ride is still a snoozefest? Maybe they should start using Disneyland's SM to cure people suffering from insomnia?

That's interesting though, cause if the layout is so horrible and the ride is so boring why in the world did they clone it in Hong Kong and Tokyo? I guess there are a lot of sleep deprived people over there. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize that WDW's space mountain was one of the most thrilling rides on earth, right up there with Millenium Force and X2. It always seemed a little slow and bumpy to me. Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad that WDW has a unique space mountain layout and all that, but I think people are going a little overboard in trying to justify the scope of this refurb.

Once again it falls down to a difference of opinion. If you think DL's space is so great then thats your handicap, not mine.

Umm, why was it cloned in Hong Kong, I have no idea. Maybe it was easier for them to make one track instead of two like wdw has. I cant see why they would want to duplicate such a boring coaster, but they did it and that was their decision.

And even though you didn't quote me, you must have gathered from my post that I think WDW's space mt. is the most thrilling coaster on earth. And if you did, then go back and re-read. What I said was that it was miles ahead more thrilling that DL's and that DL's is a snooze fest. That also, doesn't mean that DL has the worst layout in roller coaster history, I wouldnt know because I havent been on every coaster on earth. But as far as the two space mt. I've been on, its the worse of the two.

To me, Space mt. is one of the most thrilling coasters on WDW property, but not the whole world. Def. not up there with the ceder point coasters. Don't know what could give you that idea, but maybe you were reading what you wanted to rather than what was actually there.

Lee

Adventurer
Umm, why was it cloned in Hong Kong, I have no idea.
Easy.
They were already rebuilding DL's at that same time, so it was easy to just order two of the same layout from the fabricator.
I guess Tokyo just didn't feel like buying new track or they could have ordered three and maybe got a discount.:D

Yes the effects make it a better ride experience, but WDW's is a better roller coaster, and to me thats what matters more.
Yeah....we're pretty clear on your feelings about that.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom