Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Pumbaa1222

I thought the plan was to replace JIIWF with trackless IO ride and then create a Figment movie for the Magic Eye Theater so as not to evict Figment from the park

Agreed, I thought the existing rumored plan (well discussed here) was for Inside out to replace JIIWF and Figment moves to the Magic Eye Theater. Which to me is a win win: Figment gets a new proper presence, and the abomination that is JIIwF gets a new appropriate IP that actually ties the whole Pavilion together in a way that it never has been.

Brer Oswald

Hallelujah! I love Inside Out and hate the Imagination ride, possibly the worst and most barren ride in the entire park. Whatever replaces it will be MUCH better (yes I rode the original...that was awful too).

t3wULNz.gif
Don't let the door hit you on the way out :)

DAR1974

Pete Docter actually created a mockup of the transformation of this into Inside Out with the help of the Imagineers back in early 2015.

From what I understand, nothing has come of it (which makes literally zero sense to me). The movie was certainly successful enough. From what I understand, Dreamfinder and Figment even made cameos.
I'll have to watch again but I don't remember that. I do remember a Haunted Mansion easter egg.

Daveeeeed

I really hope they stick with Figment but I'm bracing myself. Inside Out would work great in Epcot ... in the Wonders of Life pavilion, along with Big Hero 6. But nope, they gotta likely rip out another ride .... sigh. I won't mourn the loss of this version of the ride but I will mourn the loss if they cut Figment and don't bring him back to glory with Dreamfinder. Such a huge missed opportunity they have with this IP.

I can't see them closing this with Energy closing next month. I imagine it's staying open until Guardians and Rat open, or are near open. But who knows? They've done stranger things.
They for sure have to wait until Mission: Space reopens. I think that they should go ahead and do it. Except for extremely busy holidays, UoE is never full, so the only true loss to park capacity is Imagination, but that ride frequently has low waits as well.

Epcot is in a much better position to close a terrible D-ticket than HWS closing a beloved (yet outdated) E-ticket, so I think they are going to start before Rat & Gotg open.

2351metalcloud

Folks, it's called "Epcot," not "F-cot."

Figment is not the be-all, end-all of Epcot's being. That said, putting Inside Out into the Imagination pavilion makes no sense. It's the Imagination pavilion -- not the Emotions pavilion.

Emotions are, however, one of the so-called "Wonders of Life." Does that name ring a bell with anyone else?

All the people who have shown how great their affinity is for Figment and the Dreamfinder over the years on this forum serves as some degree of support for the idea of including notable characters in attractions at the parks.

Thing is.....Why are we going through Riley's head? Doesn't make sense....It would have to be another set of Emotions that we would be joining on this journey...And as it builds up to the final point or message it turns out to be Dreamfinder's Emotions.....

There...I did it....I Blew your Minds...
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

They can even put funny beards on the Dreamfinders' emotions.

If GotG is coming to UoE then I actually think Imagination is the better place to bring Inside Out characters. The East side of the park is now all going to be about Space/Future Themes. The West side can now be all about more Earth based endeavors such as the Oceans, the Countries of the World, and even our own minds.

I would expect that if WoL ever gets re-purposed it should be to something that will better fit between GotG and M:S.

In "Inside Out", Bing Bong tells Joy "Take her to the moon for me."

For Wonders of Life, they can just make a ripoff of Gravity with Riley replacing Sandra Bullock while the audience gets to see the emotions in her head at the time. Or maybe they could be more creative than that, but there is some precedence for the idea of space travel involving the characters in Inside Out. Bing Bong also says "Joy, we're stuck down here. We might as well be on another planet."

Last edited:

Madame Medusa

I am pretty young and never got to ride Journey Into the Imagination when it was apparently one of the best rides.

One of the best rides? LOL! You didn't miss much. Seriously. Watch it on youtube.

Anyone who tells you it was one of the best rides has their nostalgia glasses on waaaaaaay too tight.

Nj4mwc

By what metric is this not a good move? The ride will be more popular in terms of attendance and satisfaction...it couldn't really get much worse. At the end of the day that's all that matters in determining whether or not it's a good move. So a few people on the internet care about too much IP in EPCOT, the vast majority of the public doesn't care, and I mean vast. And they'll be happy to see a new and innovative Inside Out attraction, which has a lot of potential as a concept.

But the IP argument aside, I can't imagine why ANYONE, diehard fan or not, would care about this attraction being changed. Imagination in its current form is the epitome of a "no one cares" ride just taking up space. It's a shame such a beautiful and majestic pavilion hosts such a lackluster ride.
I agree, most people I know, even those who have visited before not just first timers will complain about the lack of characters. That doesn't include those who even after a visit still don't understand that their are 4?seperate parks. I like imagination but it needs some love desperately, if sticking Inside Out in Epcot draws larger crowds then Disney execs would be stupid to not make the change. Of course updating imagination and making it a draw would be best

danlb_2000

Premium Member
One of the best rides? LOL! You didn't miss much. Seriously. Watch it on youtube.

Anyone who tells you it was one of the best rides has their nostalgia glasses on waaaaaaay too tight.

Huh!? Are you sure you are thinking of the original version? It remember it being a pretty amazing ride. The current one is horrible and I would have no problem seeing it replace with Inside Out and this coming from someone who as Figment as an avatar.

Bairstow

Huh!? Are you sure you are thinking of the original version? It remember it being a pretty amazing ride. The current one is horrible and I would have no problem seeing it replace with Inside Out and this coming from someone who as Figment as an avatar.
I can only assume that when she says "original version" she means the original version of the current ride.

400px-JOurneyintoyourimagiantion.jpg

phillip9698

I'm not saying Inside Out isn't popular. But Figment: 3 Dooney & Bourke purse releases; Inside Out: zero.

Figment has become the default mascot for Flower & Garden and Food & Wine festival and all it's merchandise for several years now. And it sells. Very well. Disney is making plenty of money off of Figment and as long as people continue to buy, no reason not keep doing it.

How many of those Dooney and Bourke bags were made? How many were sold? The existence of a product for enthusiasts has little correlation to the overall popularity of said product. How many Lion King Dooney and Bourke bags are in the parks? Aladdin? Figment is not more popular than either of those IPs yet Figment is in the lead when it comes to handbags.

From what I've seen in the parks Disney seems to transitioning to Remy being the mascot of F&W. I haven't visited the flower and garden festival so I can't speak on its merchandise.

disney1023

Might I remind everyone who is leading this project incase you've forgotten about D23? Tom Fitzgerald should know what he is doing in terms of the Imagination! pavilion.

Also, I honestly wouldn't mind it if Imagination! v2 comes back at this point. The way I see it, it's either add Dreamfinder (please) or remove Figment as a whole.

Last edited:

Madame Medusa

Yes, I rode it many times.

It was a nice original concept which is admittedly rare for modern Disney but the ride itself was not that spectacular. Perhaps a slightly better than average dark ride (for its time), but nothing more nothing less. It was filler then and it'd still be filler now. And it certainly didn't do anything to spark any genuine imagination or demonstrate imagination as a concept in an effective way, so the purists have nothing to lose (the new one is even WORSE in that regard).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom