Insane crowds, more space needed

FutureCEO

Enough is enough, there are no longer quiet periods in Orlando for the parks. It's growth is continuing upwards. There just needs to be more space, more land areas for the public to be spread out.

Watching the fireworks tonight was borederline dangerous how everyone was squashed into the tight lines.

It just made for a really miserable experience. Magic Kingdom suffers badly obviously as it's the busiest. Perhaps now it's time to look at stop navigating people one way up Main Street. Perhaps we need a side street. Exiting the park is thoroughly horrendous once the fireworks close.

We should do what European countries are trying to do....limit tourist

geekza

They need a new park to spread crowds further, on top of the much needed added capacity in the existing ones. I’ve actually found AK to be quite uncomfortable at times.
However, a brand new park tends to bring in massive crowds who then need to be accommodated by the other parks when they aren't visiting the new park. It's kind of a Catch-22. I suspect this is what will happen when Galaxy's Edge opens; you'll have a huge number of guests coming in to see GE who will then head over to MK on another day of their vacation. Solutions need to be found within the existing parks before even beginning to think of adding another park.

Shouldigo12

My daughter and I are headed down in 3 weeks. Hoping the crowds are a little lighter. Although since Wishes ended we have only watched HEA once, for us,no need to do again. We will do some rides now during the fireworks. I will not miss the hassle of the hub at all. I do feel sorry for those exiting at that time with little ones, it could be a little terrifying.
May I ask how you get to rides during the fireworks? My mom and I were equally unimpressed with the show (just like every other firework show imo) but when we tried leaving to go to another section of the park cast members would force us back into the crowd. No matter which way we went we couldn't find a way to get away from the just the castle, let alone get to a ride.

KRW101

May I ask how you get to rides during the fireworks? My mom and I were equally unimpressed with the show (just like every other firework show imo) but when we tried leaving to go to another section of the park cast members would force us back into the crowd. No matter which way we went we couldn't find a way to get away from the just the castle, let alone get to a ride.
Stay away from the hub when it’s time for fireworks. We will plan on where we want to be when the fireworks start and get over there a little before. A little planning and you will be good to go to ride some rides!

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

They need a new park to spread crowds further, on top of the much needed added capacity in the existing ones. I’ve actually found AK to be quite uncomfortable at times.
No argument... the idea of more than "One Real Park" is very good. People are not generally foolish - they usually GET where the "Real Park" is, and go there.

However... WDW (in theory) HAS 4 Parks. So what happened, and how can this be fixed? I personally believe the answer lies in making everything other than the MK into a "REAL PARK". The item formally known as HS is getting there. EPCOT is a walking disaster. AK? Well, maybe... but Pandora is a pretty small chunk of that land.... Dear wife and I just don't go there.

So? Everyone goes to the MK. Just me.... it sort of looks like 1971 all over again. Due to neglect :(.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Shouldigo12

I won't pretend to be an expert on Disney crowds, but from my very limited experience the problem isn't that crowds have no where to go and need a new park. The problem is crowds don't want to go to the current parks. Everyone goes to MK. Advertising and park attractions have ensured that MK is the Disney park to be at. Problem is, people are packing themselves into one park instead of spreading themselves throughout the four parks on property. Adding another park people will skip over to go to MK won't fix that. Instead they need to ramp up advertising and attractions at the other three so people want to spend more time there.
Edit: As far as AK goes, I don't know when you visited but if it was anytime around Pandora opened that's probably to blame. I found AK to be pretty nice crowd wise except for that land, which was terribly crowded. And this was awhile after it had opened.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Here's my take on Disney and the crowds. I apologize if I'm repeating some other arguments that were beaten to death but with 8 pages of discussions, its hard to follow everything.

My take
Disney has been busy building more and more resorts, Copper Creek is just one example. So we have a situation where supply of resorts is high and demand is high. The actual supply of parks is low, so Disney is cramming more and more people a finite amount of park space. This of course doesn't count all the other people who are staying off property, but the same philosophy exists. Glut of resorts but tiny amount of park space in comparison.

On paper new park may help, but when delve deeper you see that might be the case. What draw will a new park have? When AK opened up, it was just a glorified zoo without many rides. It wasn't that busy most of the time. That new park really didn't lesson the load of other parks, because it wasn't that busy.

jaklgreen

No argument... the idea of more than "One Real Park" is very good. People are not generally foolish - they usually GET where the "Real Park" is, and go there.

However... WDW (in theory) HAS 4 Parks. So what happened, and how can this be fixed? I personally believe the answer lies in making everything other than the MK into a "REAL PARK". The item formally known as HS is getting there. EPCOT is a walking disaster. AK? Well, maybe... but Pandora is a pretty small chunk of that land.... Dear wife and I just don't go there.

So? Everyone goes to the MK. Just me.... it sort of looks like 1971 all over again. Due to neglect :(.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Epcot and AK are my 2 favorite parks and I spend the majority of my trips there. I do think that they have sadly neglected DHS for far too long and am glad they are doing something about it finally. I am also happy that they are adding more to Epcot and I do think that the park could use more rides and attractions. But I love World showcase. Even adding maybe more rotating exhibits from those countries would be welcome.

Willmark

Here's my take on Disney and the crowds. I apologize if I'm repeating some other arguments that were beaten to death but with 8 pages of discussions, its hard to follow everything.

My take
Disney has been busy building more and more resorts, Copper Creek is just one example. So we have a situation where supply of resorts is high and demand is high. The actual supply of parks is low, so Disney is cramming more and more people a finite amount of park space. This of course doesn't count all the other people who are staying off property, but the same philosophy exists. Glut of resorts but tiny amount of park space in comparison.

On paper new park may help, but when delve deeper you see that might be the case. What draw will a new park have? When AK opened up, it was just a glorified zoo without many rides. It wasn't that busy most of the time. That new park really didn't lesson the load of other parks, because it wasn't that busy.
The answer isn’t to do what they are currently doing: next to nothing.

thomas998

Just get used to it because it isn't going to change. They aren't going to limit the number of people they let in. They aren't going to expand mainstreet or open more viewing areas, no place to do that and it would cost money. So if they don't limit people and don't expand the area the reality is it is just going to be this way forever.

The only hope anyone really has is that the economy tanks and fewer people can afford Disney, then the crowds will drop but that's really about the only thing that is going to change things.

rcapolete

When we were there in April they opened up a backstage gate to allow us to exit. It was to the left when looking down Main street away from the castle. Dropped us outside the main gates by the bus area. Made it really convienent to get out.

Shouldigo12

Just get used to it because it isn't going to change. They aren't going to limit the number of people they let in. They aren't going to expand mainstreet or open more viewing areas, no place to do that and it would cost money. So if they don't limit people and don't expand the area the reality is it is just going to be this way forever.

The only hope anyone really has is that the economy tanks and fewer people can afford Disney, then the crowds will drop but that's really about the only thing that is going to change things.
Oh, I'm getting SO sick of seeing people say this. "I hope the economy tanks and many families struggle to make ends meet, with some of them failing, becauss I want shorter lines at a theme park". I hope to god you're a troll, because that's a terrible thing to hope for.

thumper

Watched from Swiss Family tree once. Interesting vantage point...

We watched from a different vantage point this last trip as well...got out of Peter Pan's flight and stayed near the Carousel/outside Philharmagic. We had a nice view with minimal crowds.

thomas998

Oh, I'm getting SO sick of seeing people say this. "I hope the economy tanks and many families struggle to make ends meet, with some of them failing, becauss I want shorter lines at a theme park". I hope to god you're a troll, because that's a terrible thing to hope for.
I can only assume reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. I said the economy tanking is the only thing that will change it, I never said I wanted the economy to tank personally I have a vested interest in the economy not tanking as I have a lot of my 401K tied up in stocks. But hey feel free to assume people say things you don't want to hear all the time and you'll get to be upset even more... If that's what you really enjoy.

GeoffR

Seeing a lot of great comments here. To reiterate a previous point I made earlier in the discussion (only because I'm seeing a lot of comments that address this) a new park, a new area, or crowd limits will not fix the issues at MK. The issues lie in the 'bottle-neck' of Main Street USA, where the viewing of the nightly show takes place. Despite spreading people to a new area or new park, people will, as seen in the past, flock to MK for the fireworks at night. It's the most narrow area of the park, and it's the most traveled because it's the only exit and entrance, so unless they can figure out a way to disperse the crowd in that area (which I have no suggestions, unfortunately) it will remain crowded. My advice, don't rush out of the park, take your time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom