Info on AKL

Pepper

Hello all,

I am new to the boards and hoping this is the right place to post this question.

I would like to get people's opinions on Animal Kingdom Lodge and the restaurants there. We are going in November and would like to get some information regarding the resort and places to eat. Thank you for any information you can give me.

Also, does the view of the room matter. We have a standard view (special). Will we be happy?

Pepper

fanofwdw

Check out www.wdwig.com

Deb Wills' site has a lot of information. Also, FYI, I have heard (and if people disagree PLEASE say so because I have only read this) that it's worth splurging on the savannah room when going to AKL (if you can afford it.)

Upvote 0

tiggerlover1971

animal kingdom lodge is where i will be staying standard view is not the side of the animals its like a parking lot they have observation places to see the animals Alot of people on here liked Bomas in the hotel but I didnt like it my opinion the food was different

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I've stayed twice, both times in a Savanah room. Although there are several wonderful viewing areas scattered throughout the hotel (and I highly suggest you visit them all) there was something very special about waking up at dawn and seeing animals outside your balcony. If you can afford it, I'd go for the deluxe view!

My family isn't very adventurous when it comes to food, so we never ate (except for breakfast) at the hotel. I've heard both good and bad about the food, but really can't offer an opinion.

My daughter did have the vegetarian selection for lunch at Mara, and I'm sad to say (she let me taste it) it was one of the worst meals I've ever tasted. My burger was fine, though. ;)

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Hi,

Stick with your standard view room, many times when you check in, they will automatically upgrade you if they have empty rooms like the savannah view for free. (they will not upgrade you to concierge unless you pay for it) If they don't offer it, you can always ask for the upgrade. Boma's is a fantastic restaurant at AKL. If you like to try different styles of food, I suggest Boma's. They create authentic dishes using the various spices used in African dishes. If you are interested in a personal itinerary and having someone do all of the work for you, (making PS arrangements etc.) please contact us.

Upvote 0

Figment1986

Wow, nice infomation, My family is planning on Staying at AKLodge some time soon, And will be Hopefully stay in the Savana room, (I wana wake up to animals now.)

Upvote 0

baynesj

My wife and I stayed at the AKL last year in November, it was one of the nicest hotels we have ever been a guest in. The restaurants were outstanding. In fact, we are going back in the end of September, (staying at Port Orleans, French Quarter, but we are going over to BOMA to eat because we really enjoyed it there. This is the first time I have ever put anything on the Forum so if i did anything wrong my apologies.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

i've never stayed at AKL, but i loved it when i visited it! i don't see how it could matter much which view you get...you can still see the animals...just not from the comforts of your room. which, btw, would be extrememly nice! if you can afford it, go for savanah, but if you can't don't worry about it...it's still an awesome resort regardless!

Upvote 0

Jimmy

I haven't stayed at AKL yet but have toured the hotel and ate at Jiko. The food was excellent. I enjoed the lamb. We plan on eating breakfast at Boma on 9/2 and then eating dinner at Boma in December. I can't wait to stay at the AKL in May 2003:D

Upvote 0

Pepper

Original Poster
Thank you all for the info

I appreciate all the information on the AKL. I have a standard view but after reading all the wonderful comments about the Savannah, called Disney today. To my surprise they no longer have any availability :cry: for when I will be there. I am hoping now that something will come along for my dates. If anyone wants to cancel their PHS room for AKL Savannah in November, go ahead :D I won't mind, as long as I am calling at the same time. Here's to hoping something will come available. Thanks for all the info. Now I need to work on my dining.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
If you wish to see some more information on AKL, the Travel Channel is re-broadcasting it's show on AKL on Aug 21, 2002
3:00 PM.

It's a 1/2 hour tour of the lodge. Good show to watch.

We stayed there last year, and going again in 49 DAYS!!! :sohappy:

Both Jiko and Boma are great to eat at. I would suggest to do them both. I liked Boma for breakfast more tho.

Upvote 0

DanStat

I love the AKL!

The restaraunts are great! Try the Zebra Domes! :slurp:

Definetly splurge on the Savannah View room!

If you want more specifics, please PM me.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom