Indy Speedway Refurb?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
When we visited this past late January they closed the Tomorrowland Indy Speedway down for a refurb....is this done and what did they do? Just fix up the track or improvise the theme? THANKS

bpiper

We were there the 3rd week of February and I noticed that they had resurfaced the walkway between the cars that is used for loading/unloading with a textured surface paint. They also had replaced the barriers along the load/unload walkway. They use to be white and orange and shaped like highway jersey barriers. They are now a much thinner barrier allowing more walking room on the walkway. I can't remember what color they were, but they aren't the bright orange anymore. They also replaced the load station number signs with new ones.

On the track, it looked like they had patched some cracked concrete at some of the expansion joints.

Basically, routine maintenance but of the type that can't be finished overnight.

We were there the 3rd week of February and I noticed that they had resurfaced the walkway between the cars that is used for loading/unloading with a textured surface paint. They also had replaced the barriers along the load/unload walkway. They use to be white and orange and shaped like highway jersey barriers. They are now a much thinner barrier allowing more walking room on the walkway. I can't remember what color they were, but they aren't the bright orange anymore. They also replaced the load station number signs with new ones.

On the track, it looked like they had patched some cracked concrete at some of the expansion joints.

Basically, routine maintenance but of the type that can't be finished overnight.

I hate this piece of ::non-inspirational:: attraction.....it's such a HUGE waste of space! Was the ride even fun and/or innovative in 1971? Please...there is SO many more ideas/attractions one could muster for this VERY LARGE piece of VERY PRIME MK real estate. Too bad the dull and clueless continue to line up for this waste of precious Disney trip time. :zipit:

ToTBellHop

eh...there's no shortage of space at WDW and this ride is popular. It can stay. However, I do like the theming of Disneyland's Autopia more.

Ausdaddy

I hate this piece of ::non-inspirational:: attraction.....it's such a HUGE waste of space! Was the ride even fun and/or innovative in 1971? Please...there is SO many more ideas/attractions one could muster for this VERY LARGE piece of VERY PRIME MK real estate. Too bad the dull and clueless continue to line up for this waste of precious Disney trip time. :zipit:

Dull and clueless? Interesting. One of my great Disney experiences is riding the speedway during Wishes. ...And my kids love it. I agree with ISTCNavigator57 that Autopia is themed better, plus I got to drive cars around at the same time as Goofy and Pluto. :ROFLOL:

Slowjack

I don't care for this ride either, but if people are lining up for it, as you say, then someone thinks it's fun, right? I'd just prefer it get transformed into something that fit in with the rest of Tomorrowland, like electric cars that were made to look like hovercars. Something retro-future.

C&D

The Tomorrowland Speedway can stay if for only one thing: the looks on the faces of the kids as they "drive" the cars :)
+1 Couldn't agree more.

And to the naysayers; don't you remember, when you got to or wanted to, drive? Drive anything. I sure do (and I'm 56 years young).

bpiper

I think that you miss the point of Disney parks. Disney parks are designed for ALL ages to enjoy. There are rides for little kids, teens and adults. They are FAMILY parks. If you want an adult thrill park, go to six flags.

The indy speedway is designed for little kids to enjoy. The fact that some adults enjoy it is a bonus. Not all rides/attractions can be thrill rides.

Me and my 8 year old son ride it together. I handle the gas pedal and he steers. He has a blast. He will even wait 30 minutes in the hot sun to ride the ride, even though he is the first to complain about wait times and standing in the sun. That says something.

Does it take up a lot of room, yes. Is it themed poorly, no. Could it use some more themeing, yes, but there is a limit on what you can do for themeing a grand prix race course. Do children love it, YES.

I think that you miss the point of Disney parks. Disney parks are designed for ALL ages to enjoy. There are rides for little kids, teens and adults. They are FAMILY parks. If you want an adult thrill park, go to six flags.

The indy speedway is designed for little kids to enjoy. The fact that some adults enjoy it is a bonus. Not all rides/attractions can be thrill rides.

Me and my 8 year old son ride it together. I handle the gas pedal and he steers. He has a blast. He will even wait 30 minutes in the hot sun to ride the ride, even though he is the first to complain about wait times and standing in the sun. That says something.

Does it take up a lot of room, yes. Is it themed poorly, no. Could it use some more themeing, yes, but there is a limit on what you can do for themeing a grand prix race course. Do children love it, YES.

Ummm, who said anything about thrill rides??? I love how people misinterpret so many things on these boards. First, I am NOT a thrill ride fan, Everest is about as much of a "thrill ride" I can take without puking my last five meals up:hurl: (and I can only ride EE once a visit for the same reason), so you're automatic assumption was both irrational and unnecessary. My favorite attractions are the classic dark rides, thank you very much.:D

I am a Disney nut for the MAGIC and IMAGINATION that saturate their parks and greatest attractions, and, IMHO, Indy Speedway DOES NOT possess these two MAJOR Disney elements. Disneyland's Autopia is BY FAR the superior version of this sort of attraction, and I have been hoping for years WDW would receive a similar, or more advanced refurb. Most cities have REAL grand prix rides that kids have experienced, making the whopping 3 mph of the Indy Speedway to appear/feel outdated and boring. I do agree that most kids would sell their siblings to "drive" anything, so the concept is both successful and timeless, but I just feel the entire attraction could REALLY use a good ol' dusting of some modern Disney magic and pixie dust. :)

SO THERE...all your DULL and CLUELESS Indy fans!.......KIDDING;)

-SIR-

I have to say that I agree that this attraction is unimaginative and sub-par to all other attractions in the magic kingdom... I would rather go on Dumbo. Its really lacking a good theme to tie it into tomorrowland .... Plus you can find so many other attractions just like it or even much better at so many different places all over the US and Florida... It feels like it belongs at the "Fun Spot" on International Drive to me...

KaliSplash

The ride is what it is. A race car ride for little kids. The only thing I regretted when I had to take my little boys on it was that the track wasn't bigger!

As for updating, yes, a 'hovercraft' or even a "Cars" theme would be an improvement. But the land this is on IS being put to good use.

I have to say that I agree that this attraction is unimaginative and sub-par to all other attractions in the magic kingdom... I would rather go on Dumbo. Its really lacking a good theme to tie it into tomorrowland .... Plus you can find so many other attractions just like it or even much better at so many different places all over the US and Florida... It feels like it belongs at the "Fun Spot" on International Drive to me...

My point exactly. Down here in Ft. Lauderdale, we have a HUGE grand prix track that was the destination of many a summer camp kid's off school routine, and let me tell you, it FAR outweighs the "fun factor" of WDW's Indy Speedway....and it's not the "speed" or "thrill" factor we are speaking of, its the dull and unimaginative theming, the loud, slow, and SMELLY vehicles, the large, clunky, and terribly obvious track. This is Disney World for goodness sake, where is the WOW factor in this ride!? Was there EVER a wow factor since its unfortunate conception? If this attraction were anywhere else but WDW, we would tear it to shreds for being so incredibly sub par to what we cherish at the World.

AND NOW TO COMPLETE MY TIRAD:drevil: ....WHY is this inferior attraction in TOMORROWLAND in the FIRST place??? WE moan and gripe about the Pixar-ation of the current TL, yet here is this big, fat, barely-themed "classic" s__________g up a massive plot of land were it CLEARLY does not belong. WDW was not built in 1900 when racecars were a far vision of the future, so what's the deal?

It just annoys me when we whine and carry on over the advancements of the already randomly themed land, esp. when the attractions they are adding at least resonate in SOME light of the future, at least the "fantasy" future (Oh YES, I said FANTASY). What the heck did "If You had Wings" or "Dream Flight" have to do with tomorrow? I say, tear out the crappy Indy, extend Tomorrowland with ORIGINAL and IMAGINTINVE attractions that fit SOME sort of central theme (more dark rides preferably), allowing the land to FINALLY blend evenly into Fantasyland (the transition from TL into FL is still the least effective land-to-land blend Disney has ever mashed together).
I know there is someone out there who agrees with me! Indy Speedway has LONG outdone its welcome! It's old, ugly, and stinky, and has NOTHING to do with the core theme of ANY of the Tomorrowland incarnations we have witnessed since the park's grand opening. Rip it out and REIMAGINE!

Thank you for reading!:hammer:

autigger

The Tomorrowland Speedway can stay if for only one thing: the looks on the faces of the kids as they "drive" the cars
Amen.

My son and I had a blast on the Indy Speedway last summer. I would not trade the look on his face for anything. In fact, the picture that my wife took of he and I as he drove our car is on my desk here at work.

Everything at Disney does not have to be elaborate. It is OK for a few things to be simple. Sometimes the most indelible memories are from the less elaborate attractions.

Amen.

My son and I had a blast on the Indy Speedway last summer. I would not trade the look on his face for anything. In fact, the picture that my wife took of he and I as he drove our car is on my desk here at work.

Everything at Disney does not have to be elaborate. It is OK for a few things to be simple. Sometimes the most indelible memories are from the less elaborate attractions.

Good point....but I need to rant and rave about its lack of theming nontheless!

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
As an adult its rather a mild and a bit stinky thrill but I still remember going on a similar type ride at BOBLO Island as a child and being so excited that I was actually driving a car, imagination soared and it still sticks out in my memory.....rail beneath ignored of course....I was wishing for a refurb of the theming and agree that CARS would be so easy for creating visuals along the way....Radiator Springs town to drive thru....Cozy Cone Motel....etc. Even if they could update the actual vehicles..... I know I know...another Pixar thingy but would be cute.:king:

Indy? They changed it to that when they brought in the bricks from actual Indy race track near the beginning of the course....right?:wave:

DisneyMusician2

Not that you are wrong (although despite its lack of theming, I think it is a Walt Disney original and should stay), but there are so many other things that need to be done. Let's try sprucing up the great rides at the park before we start entirely new construction in MK. If you want entirely new construction, then look to the Studios or AK, that is where the help is truly needed in that department.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom