Indiana Jones ride coming to Animal Kingdom?

Which ride should Animal Kingdom get? INDIANA JONES OR AVATAR?

• Total voters

Californian Elitist

As someone from Florida who's ridden the Indy ride at DL, let me answer that with a rhetorical question. Why did DLP need PotC or IaSW or Haunted Mansion? Why did HKDL need Space Mountain? How many decades old were those rides?

Indy is a classic of the same caliber as Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, PotC, IASW, BTMRR, and Splash Mountain. It is the only classic missing from WDW of 5-star caliber quality.

There are rides that are standard for going into Disney parks. You just named the majority of those rides.

Indy clearly doesn't have the same legendary status as Mansion, Pirates, small world, Thunder Mountain, Space... If it did, it would be in more Disney resorts and not just two. When I think of rides like Pirates, Mansion, Thunder, etc., I think of Disney parks because they're in pretty much every Disney park resort. When I think of Indy, I just think of Disneyland. Indy is one of those rides that seems to "belong" to one park because it's well-known as being a Disneyland-only thing, excluding Japan. Same for Matterhorn and the same can be said for lots of WDW's attractions, like Spaceship Earth.

blackbears28

Original Poster
There are rides that are standard for going into Disney parks. You just named the majority of those rides.

Indy clearly doesn't have the same legendary status as Mansion, Pirates, small world, Thunder Mountain, Space... If it did, it would be in more Disney resorts and not just two. When I think of rides like Pirates, Mansion, Thunder, etc., I think of Disney parks because they're in pretty much every Disney park resort. When I think of Indy, I just think of Disneyland. Indy is one of those rides that seems to "belong" to one park because it's well-known as being a Disneyland-only thing, excluding Japan. Same for Matterhorn and the same can be said for lots of WDW's attractions, like Spaceship Earth.

I disagree the Disneyland Indiana Jones ride is COMPLETE ride, queue, experience, everything and I'm just saying when I'm in Magic Kingdom I feel like its missing something...I don't feel the same way about the matterhorn or many other disneyland rides that FL doesn't have but I do feel that way when it comes to Indiana Jones. I think WDW absolutely needs the Indy attraction.

Californian Elitist

I disagree the Disneyland Indiana Jones ride is COMPLETE ride, queue, experience, everything and I'm just saying when I'm in Magic Kingdom I feel like its missing something...I don't feel the same way about the matterhorn or many other disneyland rides that FL doesn't have but I do feel that way when it comes to Indiana Jones. I think WDW absolutely needs the Indy attraction.

Your feelings still don't take away the fact that Indy, along with Matterhorn and others are rides that refer to Disneyland. They aren't found in many of the other Disney park resorts, which is factually true. That's what I'm saying.

blackbears28

Original Poster
My question is, where do we hide the show building, given that from my (rather bad) measurements, the Indy show building is somewhere 2-3 times the size of Echo Lake?
Screen_Shot_2013_05_06_at_9_05_10_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2013_05_06_at_9_05_22_PM.png

IOP if that were 100% true the Indy ride would reside only in Disneyland but it doesn't where its also located in Disney Seas.

*Take a look at the dimensions of the show building though...in addition to Echo lake, with the demolition of the stage buildings of Sounds Dangerous and American Idol the ride would fit perfectly.

wdwfan4ver

IOP if that were 100% true the Indy ride would reside only in Disneyland but it doesn't where its also located in Disney Seas.

*Take a look at the dimensions of the show building though...in addition to Echo lake, with the demolition of the stage buildings of Sounds Dangerous and American Idol the ride would fit perfectly.
There is a problem with doing that. Disney has been doing surveys for Star Wars in Disney World and Disney Land. The fact is there is a Star Wars Land currently being looked at for Disneyland Paris also and Disney is considering Star Wars expansions for theme parks Disney owns Worldwide.

There has been rumors of a Star Wars land for DHS outside the current Star Tours: the Adventure continues outside the forums on this site. Those rumors are for the location of the expansion.

That means if Disney does that, where you put a Indiana Jones attraction at DHS becomes limited.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
While I would like to keep IJ an exclusive to DL (on US soil), I do agree that the MK needs a couple E tickets in the spirit of both IJ and the Matterhorn. This would definitely round out the MK experience.

blackbears28

Original Poster
What I don't understand is why disney is still going forth with Avatar. There is no demand for it. It seems that they just went after any film that was successful hoping for the same result that Universal got with HP. Disney needs to bring in a attraction that is STILL popular today and stands the test of time and Disneyland's Indiana Jones ride solves that. There's also the option of bulldozing the stage for beauty and the beast and fitting the indy ride in there..only thing is it might not fit and is on the other side of the park as the stunt show.....The 1 solution that I think NO ONE will disagree with is if the Star Wars and Indy projects expand into the parking lot. Plenty of room there. Downtown disney is doing it. Why not at Hollywood studios.

PeterAlt

That would be amazing! I hope they could fit a star wars land in there as well or at least a Star Wars attraction/restaurant. Honestly I would be happy with anything new coming to Hollywood studios or animal kingdom. They both need something new and fresh!
There are just some projects that make so much sense which were cancelled that one must wonder if they were cancelled because they made too much sense, and God forbid the green-lighting of things that make sense. Some times they just have to spend dollars to make cents! Corny humor aside, other projects that make perfect sense that were cancelled include Fire Mountain at Adventureland, Russia at WS, Great Muppet Movie Ride at DHS, monorail to DHS. I'm all wound up now. I'm going to need some Jäger...

lego606

MagicBandit

yea but then you have yet another giant on-stage show building in a park that really doesn't need more of those.

NormC

I wonder if they have considered epcot is there any room behind Mexico or one of the other pavilions. My guess still goes with Animal Kingdom or build it behind the stunt show in Hollywood studios like in the original plans.
There are 6 open pads in World Showcase but Indy does not belong there. Hollywood is the best place for IJ and near the stunt show is ideal. Echo lake adds atmosphere to the park and needs to stay.

JWG

I have to assume you have never actually ridden both if you are making this statement.. ;)

I have ridden both. And, to me, it would be like having two Soarin's in the same park, but one has a different film and paint scheme. Maybe at DHS, but don't need both next to each other in the same park.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I have ridden both. And, to me, it would be like having two Soarin's in the same park, but one has a different film and paint scheme. Maybe at DHS, but don't need both next to each other in the same park.

I'm sorry, that's like saying that Winnie the Pooh and Haunted Mansion are the same ride because they both have Omnimovers. Or that Pirates and Small World are the same because they both are boat rides.

I've ridden both, and Indy is far superior, and I found I spent more time engrossed in the ride, the story, and the surroundings, and not the jerkyness of the ride vehicle.

Dinosaur is just a terrible ride. It feels like doing Universe of Energy (prior to Ellen) during an earthquake.

I could care less if the ride mechanics are the same, the experience is not.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
true, but from TDO and the random guest's perspective, it's "another test track" or "another spiny ride"

I agree, and I know that TDO is thinking like that (we need something NEW! and the they wrap it with a flimsy poorly told "story")...heck, the whole of Animal Kingdom feels like that. It doesn't feel emmerive to me, it feels fake. And I blame that largely (and I know I'm about to get flamed for saying this) on Joe Rhode.

Simply because you imagine something, doesn't mean you are telling the story well, nor does attention to detail mean you are incorporating the story into the environment.

For example, if you are a huge fan of Everest, like the sort who lurk on Disney Forums, then the story is immediately obvious, and all the little touches are amazing. However, if you are a casual goer (like I was in 2010) it's completely lost on you, and comes off as just another roller coaster with a long and very hot line.

The beauty of the older rides is that they take you on an adventure...not in the queue, in the ride. And you can see that story develop. I do enjoy the concept that the queue can be used to start telling the story, and enhance your wait...but what Disney misses is that part of the experience IS the wait.

I can't tell you how much time as a kid I fretted during 20k leagues under the sea (which traditionally had a VERY long line...this was before fast passes, etc) only to be even more thrilled when I finally got the chance to get on board!

Fantaseer

I'm all for an IJ ride in DHS or Adventureland. Doesn't real fit in DAK.
Has everyone forgotten that little transition between PoTC and Fronteirland? If you move that road that the parade route starts/ends on (depends on which parade) back a few feet you have a lot of room for a great new ride in Adventureland and an Indiana Jones ride would have a perfect fit. If you think that there isn't enough room remember I said any ride, heck, they could just move the magic carpets and help with congestion. Also, in another thread called," after fantasyland", Millionaire2K mentions that for a HS expansion they could build a parking deck to take some of the parking lot, they could do that in the space for MK (just mentioning for those of you switching between this post and Google Earth).

ctxak98

I'm sorry, that's like saying that Winnie the Pooh and Haunted Mansion are the same ride because they both have Omnimovers. Or that Pirates and Small World are the same because they both are boat rides.

I've ridden both, and Indy is far superior, and I found I spent more time engrossed in the ride, the story, and the surroundings, and not the jerkyness of the ride vehicle.

Dinosaur is just a terrible ride. It feels like doing Universe of Energy (prior to Ellen) during an earthquake.

I could care less if the ride mechanics are the same, the experience is not.
I know this is your opinion.....but Dinosaur is not that much worse then Indy. I actually find it better but I am one of the very few who like it better. I think I like on board audio and huge AA dinosaurs....maybe that's why. IDK. but they are the same ride initially so the jerkiness is pretty much the same.

ctxak98

I agree, and I know that TDO is thinking like that (we need something NEW! and the they wrap it with a flimsy poorly told "story")...heck, the whole of Animal Kingdom feels like that. It doesn't feel emmerive to me, it feels fake. And I blame that largely (and I know I'm about to get flamed for saying this) on Joe Rhode.

Simply because you imagine something, doesn't mean you are telling the story well, nor does attention to detail mean you are incorporating the story into the environment.

For example, if you are a huge fan of Everest, like the sort who lurk on Disney Forums, then the story is immediately obvious, and all the little touches are amazing. However, if you are a casual goer (like I was in 2010) it's completely lost on you, and comes off as just another roller coaster with a long and very hot line.

The beauty of the older rides is that they take you on an adventure...not in the queue, in the ride. And you can see that story develop. I do enjoy the concept that the queue can be used to start telling the story, and enhance your wait...but what Disney misses is that part of the experience IS the wait.

I can't tell you how much time as a kid I fretted during 20k leagues under the sea (which traditionally had a VERY long line...this was before fast passes, etc) only to be even more thrilled when I finally got the chance to get on board!
FAKE!? ARE YOU CRAZY!???????

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was kidding mostly. lol. What about it feels fake? or cheesy? may I ask?

Of course, I could go obvious and say Chester and Hesters...but that's a dodge to what I think is really a great question.

I am not sure exactly what it is about Animal Kingdom that turns me off...there certainly are great memories there, and some fantastic attractions, and lots of things I enjoy. But, for some reason, the park just bothers me.

I am going to need some time to ponder it, if that's ok. I will respond again, just didn't want to have you think I was ignoring your query...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom